slickgadawg

Who was calling the defensive plays when New England ran off 31 unanswered points in a row?

150 posts in this topic

Just now, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Yes but they were on the field sooo long because they couldn't get off it.

EVERYBODY has part of the blame on the loss.

Ryan, Freeman, Matthews, Shanahan, Mack, Quinn, etc.

Maybe the only person without blame is Bryant but mainly because he never got a chance for a FG.

Exactly...:lol:  Thats the point i was making. Quinn had a part in this also. A new play caller can't do no worst...

1 minute ago, slickgadawg said:

Exactly...:lol:  Thats the point i was making. Quinn had a part in this also. A new play caller can't do no worst...

If THIS is the point you're attempting to make in this thread, then you aren't doing a very good job of it. This thread is pretty accusatory of the defense costing us the game and Quinn being a poor defensive playcaller which is just untrue.

Sidecar Falcon and athell like this

WHAT?  The point you were making (see thread title) was the defensive play calling is what cost us the win.  Now you bold the part where Sun Tzu calls out everyone on the offensive side of ball.  You don't know what point you are trying to make.

You ok, man?  Do we need to check you for stroke?

JD dirtybird21 likes this

He did but I don't harp on him too much because either way he's still the HC of the biggest choke job ever.

Thats never going away.  It will haunt him forever.

And there's only one thing he can do to make up for it.

slickgadawg likes this

4 minutes ago, athell said:

WHAT?  The point you were making (see thread title) was the defensive play calling is what cost us the win.  Now you bold the part where Sun Tzu calls out everyone on the offensive side of ball.  You don't know what point you are trying to make.

You ok, man?  Do we need to check you for stroke?

You are BLATANTLY incorrect. I said " how could it hurt to let Manuel call the plays?"  That was in my very first post. Then, i stated facts to back it up. YOU tried to infer that i was saying the offense had nothing to do with this. I got posts all over this forum clowning the Falcons offense for the crap they did...

I love the HECK out of Nick Saban, but NICK SABAN cost Alabama the national championship game against Clemson.  Sarkisian, of all people DID what he had to do with the offense in that game. Quinn is calling the same defense and offenses are picking it apart...

Edited by slickgadawg

As the others said the players were completely gassed.  They were in position a few times to make plays, but were hung out to dry by the fool we called OC these last two years.  I have confidence that the defense will get better.

He (OC) had several stupid calls during the game and yet they still had the ability to win because of the talent of this offense.  That's the part that angered me most.  A monkey could have called the game after Julio's catch.  Unfortunately, we had that idiot calling it.  Good riddance.

The defense collapsed in EVERY second half in every game? Uh, I know who you are now, you're a guy that barely watches games and just spews off, sometimes spewing off stupid stuff after a bad game or collapse. I remember you from hawksquawk too. You're going to be wrong on Dwight Howard being that big of a positive impact, in fact, you already are if you look at the point differential and the fact that the team has taken on his completely lazy attitude.

Holy dumb. The defense earlier in the season was starting off pretty badly but after switching to press man in most games it was settling in and doing well. The defensive problem is relatively simple, the defense was really bad when they weren't in press man. Combine that with this also isn't a good power run team (very sneakily despite being a good run team all season), and you have a recipe for piles of points when you stop doing your normal stuff.

However the defense WAS FATIGUED... You don't just go from providing a steady pass rush to providing enough time to fix a coffee in the pocket without being fatigued. Jarrett's two sacks were the last two gasps by the defense and really a cry for help from the offense. Instead of the offense helping...they collapsed.

2 hours ago, athell said:

You mean that defense that held the Patriots to 3 points until nearly the 4th quarter?

Yeah, I think he means that defense.  You know, the one that was given little time to recuperate between drives.  

The key point was the there were 31 UNANSWERED points.  

athell likes this

2 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

It was Quinns defense that gave up 31 UNANSWERED...

Kinda have to disagree here...the defense did give up 31, but it was the Offense that didn't answer.

IJS

Just now, Alomar said:

Kinda have to disagree here...the defense did give up 31, but it was the Offense that didn't answer.

IJS

purp!

2 hours ago, athell said:

You mean that defense that held the Patriots to 3 points until nearly the 4th quarter?

lol

3 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

And gave up 31 unanswered and a cakewalk in overtime. Yeah, THAT defense...

Ok, ignoring the reasoning that is logical which is the offense didn't do it's job and let the defense stay on the field over 40min of 60min ball game. What do you want done? Fire Quinn? STFU

This offense has been getting 30+ points in the last playoff games but; they were not on the field long enough.  our D scored a TD and the rest was on the offense so, the offense only got 21 points.  We did not score any points in the 1st quarter or the 4th quarter.  That is a whole half of football that we did not score.

4 hours ago, JAxxSmooth said:

Its not the defenses job to answer scores genius

You do realize that the defense scored a touchdown as well.....?

4 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

Mark Bradley of the AJC has the nerve to ask " Does it matter? " about Manuel becoming defensive coordinator because Quinn calls the plays. Duh. Maybe THAT was the problem?  You can fire Smith and Cox all day, but Quinn was the one calling that defense.  How could it hurt to let Manuel call the plays after that Superbowl fiasco?  All this fingerpointing at Smith, Cox and Shanahan, but Quinn had a headset and was calling plays also... He should be held accountable for what HE didn't do correctly. 

http://markbradley.blog.myajc.com/2017/02/10/espn-says-the-falcons-will-bump-marquand-to-dc-but-does-it-matter/

The reason Quinn started calling plays for the D a little while back, is obviously because Smith wasn't getting the job done to his liking, which is probably what led to his firing. Quinn took the defense over because he had too, and the improvement clearly showed with his involvement. As far as what happened in the Super Bowl, the defense did everything they needed to do within reason. You can not leave a defense on the field for 99 plays, especially when most offenses run anywhere from 50 to 70 plays per game. You can't do that and expect for them (The D) to keep getting stops. The Falcons offense did nothing to stay on the field, eat clock and provide valuable rest for the Falcon D. Players are not robots, they do get tired, and the Falcon D was gassed after too many short offensive procession in the 2nd half. The Falcons ran the ball 5 times in the second half, eating little to no clock and leaving the defense exposed far too long. Quinn shouldn't get a pass, because he could have reigned KS in and told him to run the ball, especially sense the Falcons were averaging 5.8 a yards a carry. However, Quinn may have had his hands too busy with the defense to see how KS was screwing things up, plus he trusted KS to do his job. If Richard Smith were able to do a better job, then maybe Quinn could have been focusing more on the clock, and the play count that the D was on. Quinn isn't getting a pass, HC's don't get a pass when their teams fail, and many signs point to the decisions made late in the game. However, I think it is evident now, that some coaches were not preparing the players as they should, and they are now gone.

I'm thinking Quinn has confidence in the new DC, in that MM will call the plays in the DQ style, and that he (DQ) will be able to manage the game, the clock , and situations as they arise as opposed to having to take on someone else's coordinating responsibilities. I'm not going to question the moves and speculate that they were done to deflect blame from Quinn. Instead, I see an HC who got the Falcons to a Super Bowl in his second year, who has made far more good moves than bad, and that these latest decisions were made to make the team better.

3 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Here's a fun fact. The falcons ran 9 running plays in the 2nd half of the game. You know how many running plays the Patriots ran in the 2nd half? 9.

Falcons have a 21-3 lead at halftime. They match the amount of runs the team losing by 18 has. Man, that defense sucks...

You do realized the Falcons shut down their running game, so they HAD to pass and abandon the run? The winning team should have more running plays than the team trying to catch up. Not sure how this has anything to do with the defense. Also the Pat's offense was death by 40+ minutes of cuts. Lol. There's no way you can play man coverage like they were for that long, at that level, without the offense staying on the field and giving them a break. It wasn't like the Pats offense was gashing us. They were dinking and dunking to whomever they could find. If the offense does their part and just puts up their 30 point average.....it's a blowout. Blaming the defense is lazy. The game should have been over in the 3rd quarter. 

8 minutes ago, Byrdman242424 said:

You do realized the Falcons shut down their running game, so they HAD to pass and abandon the run? The winning team should have more running plays than the team trying to catch up. Not sure how this has anything to do with the defense. Also the Pat's offense was death by 40+ minutes of cuts. Lol. There's no way you can play man coverage like they were for that long, at that level, without the offense staying on the field and giving them a break. It wasn't like the Pats offense was gashing us. They were dinking and dunking to whomever they could find. If the offense does their part and just puts up their 30 point average.....it's a blowout. Blaming the defense is lazy. The game should have been over in the 3rd quarter. 

I'm not blaming the defense...at all. The purpose of my post was to point out that the team with the 18 point lead at halftime ran the ball the same amount of times as the team trailing by 18 points in the 2nd half. Meaning the offense failed miserably to put the game away

Vandy likes this

Lmao Some of you guys don't know $hit about football. 

Blaming the defense for unanswered points? That's our offenses job. 

We should have stopped them better? We stopped them for 3 quarters and our defense wore out. 

Blaming Quinn for the defense? We wouldn't even have been in the Superbowl if he didn't take over  

I know some of the posters' football acumen begins and ends with Madden, but use some d@mn common sense. Lol

Edited by Sidecar Falcon

1 hour ago, Byrdman242424 said:

You do realize that the defense scored a touchdown as well.....?

Thats gives another reason why the defense shouldn't totally carry the blame for this games outcome.

1 hour ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Lmao Some of you guys don't know $hit about football. 

Blaming the defense for unanswered points? That's our offenses job. 

We should have stopped them better? We stopped them for 3 quarters and our defense wore out. 

Blaming Quinn for the defense? We wouldn't even have been in the Superbowl if he didn't take over  

I know some of the posters' football acumen begins and ends with Madden, but use some d@mn common sense. Lol

Well said. I really can't believe this is being discussed...

Sidecar Falcon likes this