Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrockSamson

The Semi-Official Talk About Legion Thread

40 posts in this topic

So, Legion. It's on TV.  A television show, to be precise, that premiered last night. Legion was/is a comic book character who was/is pretty neat. I thought the previews for the show looked so-so, at best, but it's getting fantastic reviews. I've started recording it, but I have no idea how I'm going to sneak it in to our limited TV schedule (and by limited, I mean as in the narrow range of times in which I get to choose what's on TV). But I'm working on it.

Is anyone watching? Tell me about it. Talk about it. Spoilers welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Statick said:

Dang, I missed it.

When did Prof. X get busy? And with whom?

In the comics (not sure how the show will handle), he got busy while in Israel helping holocaust survivors.  Mother was one of his patients, didn't tell him about the kid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, biloxifalcon said:

Also another good breakdown! It's been a helluva long time since I read the comics but this dude was pretty **** powerful, right up there with the Phoenix if I remember correctly.

Yeah. He's Omega-level for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, biloxifalcon said:

Watched it. They break it done pretty good here. Not quite sure what to make of it since it's only one show in. But yea, Xavier has a crazy *** son with multiple personalities.

Quotes like this from reviewers is what has me interested:

Quote

It only feels like Fargo insofar as it’s meticulously constructed, both visually and narratively, and overwhelms you with dread and bleak humor. It’s sorta like an X-Men remake comprised of existing footage from Mulholland Drive, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and Solaris. Also, Hawley is deliberately vague about what time or place it’s set in. There really isn’t anything like it on TV or in movie theaters right now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched the first episode, and I definitely agree with reviews saying it's not like anything else on TV. Completely unique, visually arresting, and pretty **** trippy. 

I'll have to see more episodes to see if all of the strangeness and creativity pays off in substance, as something more than gimmickry. But as of now, I'm definitely intrigued and invested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's hard to explain the first episode. It's setting up a much bigger story. We won't know what's really going on for a few weeks but the first episode was trippy and makes me want to see what's next.

BrockSamson likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched the second episode last night.  It was more substantive, providing a bit more background info and making Haller a more intriguing character, but it was still fairly hallucinogenic and disorienting.  Jean Smart seems like she's going to be really good on the show.  Tons of questions starting to form though, and it will be interesting to see which ones are intended to be answered in the next couple episodes, by the end of the season, or theoretically over a multi-season run.

Edited by BrockSamson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A little late posting about the third episode, which was my favorite so far.  The pace is picking up, but more than that, it's starting to strike a better balance between advancing the narrative and disorienting the viewer.  The latter no longer dominates in quite the same way, but there's still enough there to provide a visual wow factor while also keeping you guessing and uncomfortable.

If anyone watching has any revelations about something that has happened so far, I'd love to hear it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree this was a good episode. I don't have any revelations though. I have been trying to dig through some comic book lore to find out who that evil humpty dumpty (that thing is freaky weird) looking creature is. I haven't found anything and likely won't since they are not sticking to the comics in any major way.

BrockSamson likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, biloxifalcon said:

I agree this was a good episode. I don't have any revelations though. I have been trying to dig through some comic book lore to find out who that evil humpty dumpty (that thing is freaky weird) looking creature is. I haven't found anything and likely won't since they are not sticking to the comics in any major way.

I've generally found Humpty less frightening with each appearance, but he's still creepy.  The book kid is also pretty creepy.  Read a few places where people have insinuated he's a straight ripoff of the Babadook (good movie), but I didn't think so.  There were some similarities, but it seems like it's going in a different direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The Fourth episode was again great, adding a strange element of dark humor in the form of Jemaine Clements. Fantastic addition to the show.  We also saw (possibly) the first death on the show.  It felt a bit early - like, they just explained his/her story earlier in the episode, and while the (presumably) death scene was well done, in a way that implied a sadness to the events, I hadn't had enough time to become emotionally attached to the character, so it felt a bit flat.

I still feel like the show is more potential than fulfillment at this point, but I'm enjoying the strange ride. 

So for anyone watching, what exactly are The Eye's powers?  He did something to Ptonomy, but the effects didn't seem lasting.  Edit: also, he seems to have the ability to appear as someone else, playing the role of Dr. Poole.

Also, the Lenny/Benny thing was neat, making Lenny a more malevolent character than I first assumed.  The weird merging of the Devil, Lenny, and David at the end was pretty great.

Edited by BrockSamson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Also, was that entire episode in his mind? Ptonomy seemed confident they were out, but who knows? Syd was still seeing the Boy, and per reviews, Philly's earrings mirrored the chain ladder David climbed up to Oliver's floating ice cube leisure lounge.

That last sentence must look completely ridiculous to anyone who hasn't watched the show.

I also read something suggesting that Cary/Kerry was not killed in this episode.  Just a flesh wound, maybe.

Edited by BrockSamson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That whole 5 mins of near silence was intense as fuq, looked like Sydney was as good as dead.

This might be my favorite show currently running on TV till at least Game of Thrones and Fargo start back up

BrockSamson likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, atl falcon 89 said:

That whole 5 mins of near silence was intense as fuq, looked like Sydney was as good as dead.

This might be my favorite show currently running on TV till at least Game of Thrones and Fargo start back up

Just finished watching it right now. Holy ****, I definitely did not think the show could get any more bat **** crazy, but it just did. That was a great ******* episode. Intense, scary, and just way the **** out there.

 The silent scene was awesome, really ratcheted up the intensity. And even though it added another layer of opaqueness, it also really pushed the plot forward.

Also, it was pretty bad *** and also a bit terrifying watching the Devil walking around just poofing the **** out of people, and getting joy out of doing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw some negative reviews of episode 6, with which I could not disagree more. I thought it was a great episode that provided more insight into David's past and the parasitic relationship he shares with the Devil. Also, most speculation suggests the Devil is the Shadow King from the comics.

 It was cool watching an episode where you know everything is false, for once, and yet aside from Syd the characters don't. Like the way David is allowing the devil to rewrite his memory of his own mental condition. Also cool that Oliver is seemingly setting up some sort of escape for the characters.

Really great performance from Aubrey Plaza in this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I realize I'm mostly just talking to myself at this point, but **** it, that's no different than my real life, so I'mma keep doing it.

Episode 7 was ******* awesome.  There are times when the show feels like it's doing things just for the sake of being artsy or innovative, but for the most part all of that creativity provides crucial support for the narrative.  Episode 7 was no different.  They tried many different things, the kind you don't see on TV, and they all worked.  E.g., the giant, moving chalkboard used to illustrate David's past and the fight between Amahl Farouk and Professor X was brilliant.  Or the silent movie/horror house sequence.

Plot wise, I didn't think much was surprising - confirmation that the Devil was the Shadow King - but it was nice to have things set out so clearly for a change. And, we got Jemaine Clement again, which is always good.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Up until this last episode I was wondering where this was heading, as there wasn't an apparent "villain" which is the norm in comic books, especially revolving around mutants. They went waayyyyy back as the Shadow King was the one of the first powerful mutants that Prof X ever fought (I'll stop now because anything else may be spoilers). So now I am really interested to see where they go from here but next episode is the last for the season.

I haven't heard anything about a renewal, but I think what they have established on the 1st season will really open up things for the 2nd season.

 

BrockSamson likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, BrockSamson said:

So I realize I'm mostly just talking to myself at this point, but **** it, that's no different than my real life, so I'mma keep doing it.

Episode 7 was ******* awesome.  There are times when the show feels like it's doing things just for the sake of being artsy or innovative, but for the most part all of that creativity provides crucial support for the narrative.  Episode 7 was no different.  They tried many different things, the kind you don't see on TV, and they all worked.  E.g., the giant, moving chalkboard used to illustrate David's past and the fight between Amahl Farouk and Professor X was brilliant.  Or the silent movie/horror house sequence.

Plot wise, I didn't think much was surprising - confirmation that the Devil was the Shadow King - but it was nice to have things set out so clearly for a change. And, we got Jemaine Clement again, which is always good.  

I caught up, so I'll join the convo. 

Definitely not a surprise plot wise, and Oliver is pretty great, but Aubrey Plaza has been amazing as a villain. The entire sequence between David and his rational mind was pretty great. 

The ending definitely set up something big happening in the season finale. 

BrockSamson likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

I caught up, so I'll join the convo. 

Definitely not a surprise plot wise, and Oliver is pretty great, but Aubrey Plaza has been amazing as a villain. The entire sequence between David and his rational mind was pretty great. 

The ending definitely set up something big happening in the season finale. 

She really has been fantastic.  Her character has developed so much from the first episode, where you're kind of thinking, "she's really overplaying that whole junkie shtick," to it now just being part of a much more complex character. 

Also, David's meeting with his rational mind provided the best joke of the series so far: "And you're . . . British?"  "Like I said, I'm your rational mind."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, biloxifalcon said:

Up until this last episode I was wondering where this was heading, as there wasn't an apparent "villain" which is the norm in comic books, especially revolving around mutants. They went waayyyyy back as the Shadow King was the one of the first powerful mutants that Prof X ever fought (I'll stop now because anything else may be spoilers). So now I am really interested to see where they go from here but next episode is the last for the season.

I haven't heard anything about a renewal, but I think what they have established on the 1st season will really open up things for the 2nd season.

 

It's been renewed.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/legion-renewed-fx-season-2-marvel-1202009529/

biloxifalcon and AF89 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0