I'm pretty sure it was Putin and his homeys.  They hacked Shanny's iPad and erased the playbook in the 4th quarter.  As it turns out Kyle has terrible memory retention so he pretty much completely forgot how to football.  Even worse, they replaced the playbook with the whole first season of "Stranger Things" which would explain why so many weird things happened at the end of the game, and would also explain why Shanahan was tangled in Christmas lights in his booth during OT.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, tactician said:

One ref can single handedly orchestrate a 25 point comeback? Explain how. So what happens if Tom Brady throws a pick? What happens if Matt Ryan throws a bomb to Julio? I'm pretty sure the ref can't throw flags on every play.

He'll probably just tell you he's being half sarcastic, but he's playing on both sides here.

15 minutes ago, tactician said:

How can a game be rigged without the players involvement? And how do owners decide whose team gets to win and lose these rigged games? Do they draw straws? Rocks, scissors, paper?

Easy. Do cause someone to believe something false in something true. By hiding a falsehood in something true, it makes the falsehood easier to accept. Thus rigging is not a complete upheaval of the present situation i.e. the garbage Browns will win the Super Bowl next year, but the subtle manipulation of current reality to better meet the needs of the one profiting. This is also know as manipulation. 

If you want to see examples of this just look at the media and how the media spins reality for their own benefit. e.g. ESPN first take, Skip Bayless

On 2/8/2017 at 10:44 PM, tactician said:

One ref can single handedly orchestrate a 25 point comeback? Explain how. So what happens if Tom Brady throws a pick? What happens if Matt Ryan throws a bomb to Julio? I'm pretty sure the ref can't throw flags on every play.

Good rigging is not forcing an event, but rather subtly encouraging events you want to see happen. This makes the rigging more believable. Thus the no calls on Brady. Of course the Patriots had to play well and take advantage of the rigging. However the point of the NFL being rigged is that it helps people be in FAVORABLE positions so that the NFL can receive the best ratings. 

34 minutes ago, Dr. Falcon said:

I disagree with your disagreement because the NFL is rigged. What will have better ratings, the ATL having their first Super Bowl victory in Super Bowl LIII or their second. It is obvious, it is by having their first lombardi be in Super Bowl LIII. 

More reason for my argument - no team has ever hosted the Super Bowl and participated in it in the same season. Can you imagine the hype? I know the NFL can... #moneytalks #allabouttheratings 

But I will give you a like for your effort :D.

That's silly. I could easily come up with narratives to "increase ratings."

Like, the Falcons winning their first Super Bowl (LII) in the same place they won their first NFC Championship Game (Minnesota).

6 minutes ago, tactician said:

The term "rigged" implies the outcome of the game is completely predetermined. That's quite a bit different than refs going easy on the Pats, similar to Superstar calls in the NBA.

I think it has way more of an influence than we think it does. But I laid it out pretty clearly I don't think it's predetermined, but we as social creatures follow the formula, like drones. All prophecy is self-fulfilling. We just play our parts in it. 

A politician talks about the world ending, he pushes for policies that ensure it. We tend to follow what we think will happen. That's why we need people to shake things up, and Dan Quinn just sat there and watched his team become the biggest joke in sports history.

17 minutes ago, paulitik said:

The NFL is rigged, but not by intentional conspiracies, but Subconscious bias. Refs see what they want to see. As the game proved to be more of a blow out, they feel pressure to make it more of a game, scrutinize the Falcons, lay off the Pats. Once the possibility of a comeback was in the cards, they let it happen. 

The problem with Dan Quinn, is he's completely oblivious to that. It's why I got so aggravated when we let teams get back in games. The Falcons being losers, chokers, unfortunately, it's in the Zeitgeist. So as long as it's that way, calls will not go our way. You have to play and prepare to beat the refs and the opponent. You have to expect as a Falcons coach that everything is out to ensure you lose. You can't take any freaking lead for granted with this team. I said it during the last Saints game, and it will hold true until we freaking win something. Media bias, referee bias, whether you like it or not, it gets in the subconscious of the coaches, the players, and all the roleplayers that affect the game. 

It's not some intentional conspiracy, it's just cultural, and psychological. It's not a curse, its a mindset. (although, this did come as close to convincing this atheist there is a God and that he freaking HATES the State Of Georgia, as anything possibly could)

All that said, I'm not holding my breath. This loss might have convinced me that it's just not going to happen. I'm not sure how a team recovers from this. No matter how talented. How the **** do you maintain the energy and sense of "brotherhood" when so many "Brothers' completely failed each other? Next year is going to be a ****show. A weekly reminder of the loss.The Press  embedding doubt into every player's mind. I'm not optimistic.

You hit the nail on the head. Bias exist Everywhere. That is why we have racial profiling. What makes the conspiracy, the conspiracy, and gives it the subtleness, is the manipulation of these inherent biases. For example, in deciding which officials are officiating the Super Bowl, it is easy to select a group that would regulate the game in the style that you want. For example if you know that one time has a harder time handling bump and run, you could put in a officiating crew that doesn't call defensive holding. That is a automatic advantage then to the team who plays bump and run D. #itsthesubtlethings. When you add all these little things together, guess what you can change things to the way you want it. 

Another way to think about it is as such, two lines that are parallel but very close together will never change in distance. However if you cause one line to deviate by .01 degrees, although it may not appear at first the lines are deviating, if your follow the lines far enough you will see that the lines deviate by quite a lot. 

5 minutes ago, paulitik said:

I think it has way more of an influence than we think it does. But I laid it out pretty clearly I don't think it's predetermined, but we as social creatures follow the formula, like drones. All prophecy is self-fulfilling. We just play our parts in it. 

A politician talks about the world ending, he pushes for policies that ensure it. We tend to follow what we think will happen. That's why we need people to shake things up, and Dan Quinn just sat there and watched his team become the biggest joke in sports history.

Paulitik gets it. Take a like #NFLisrigged

8 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

That's silly. I could easily come up with narratives to "increase ratings."

Like, the Falcons winning their first Super Bowl (LII) in the same place they won their first NFC Championship Game (Minnesota).

Yes, but remember some narratives are better to the ear than others. Hence those would be promoted. Like what sounds better, Matt Ryan throwing passes to 13 different receivers and setting a NFL record, or Matt Ryan passing for 4944 yards. Both are impressive, but one sounds better. Also in order for things to be "adjusted" the things to be adjusted must somewhat adhere to the manipulators desire, otherwise it would be too obvious. 

1 minute ago, tactician said:

Spare me the psycholgy BS. Start explaining the ins and outs of how a rigged scheme works. Who is in on it? Who decides the outcomes? How do they determine the outcomes in a live game? What if the players are not cooperating with the predetermined outcome? You have no answers to any of these questions.

Rigging is all based on psychiatry. Look at ads. How do these corporate people get you to do what they want e.g. buy their products? How about putting it in a Super Bowl commercial where people are happy, so that subconsciously they associate their good feeling with your product. Research has proved this. As to explaining the ins and outs, Im not NFL owner, or the CFO of the NFL, so of course I don't know everything. But I do realize that in the real world, there are ways, and grey areas everywhere. Just look at our political system. 

One example I can come up with that the NFL could do very easy is the assigning of the Refs. For example, in deciding which officials are officiating the Super Bowl, it is easy to select a group that would regulate the game in the style that you want. For example if you know that one time has a harder time handling bump and run, you could put in a officiating crew that doesn't call defensive holding. That is a automatic advantage then to the team who plays bump and run D.

48 minutes ago, Dr. Falcon said:

Well fellas,

We all know the NFL is rigged. This is because NFL runs on ratings. It has been pointed out in other posts how much the refs were on the patriots side in the 4th quarter. 

So here is reality. We were screwed from the beginning because 

1. The NFL knew the best ratings was for TB to win another ring to be the greatest of all time. And best ratings are from epic comebacks. 

2. Falcons window for Super Bowl is for another 3-4 years, so even if we lose the NFL wont feel bad because we have a few more years to win it all.

3. Atlanta hosts the Super Bowl LIII. What better way to get better ratings, then for the ATLANTA FALCONS to obtain redemption for Super Bowl LI by winning Super Bowl LII in their new Mercedes Benz stadium. 

So there you have it. Im calling it first. The ATLANTA FALCONS will win their first Lombardi at SUPER BOWL LIII in ATLANTA.

Why would the NFL have a market that nobody cares about be the first in history to win the Super Bowl on their home turf? If you think football is rigged, it's not even worth watching. You're ****ting all over the effort that the players have put in to get here and have their hearts broken over this loss. Our guys played their hearts out and ultimately lost because of one bad series of play calls. On their behalf, **** you. Your premise is shortsighted at best and idiotic at worse, "Doctor."

1 minute ago, jaschart said:

Why would the NFL have a market that nobody cares about be the first in history to win the Super Bowl on their home turf? If you think football is rigged, it's not even worth watching. You're ****ting all over the effort that the players have put in to get here and have their hearts broken over this loss. Our guys played their hearts out and ultimately lost because of one bad series of play calls. On their behalf, **** you. Your premise is shortsighted at best and idiotic at worse, "Doctor."

Look I have nothing against the effort of the players. If you read my responses above, you will see that rigging does cause success, rather rigging is the manipulation of success to bring the best outcome for yourself. You have to make it believable otherwise people will be up in arms. Just like you are right now. And if you read my posts and comments earlier, this post is semi /purple and a response to all the doom and gloom that has been on this board. Again ppl need to lighten up. That being said you have to understand that rigging or manipulation of events occurs all the time. Its called politics, and advertising. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Falcon said:

Look I have nothing against the effort of the players. If you read my responses above, you will see that rigging does cause success, rather rigging is the manipulation of success to bring the best outcome for yourself. You have to make it believable otherwise people will be up in arms. Just like you are right now. And if you read my posts and comments earlier, this post is semi /purple and a response to all the doom and gloom that has been on this board. Again ppl need to lighten up. That being said you have to understand that rigging or manipulation of events occurs all the time. Its called politics, and advertising. 

You've gone full grape. If the NFL works in such a way that you suggest, then nobody should be a fan. Nothing was rigged, we called passing plays when we should have called rushing plays. Rookie mistakes writ large.

That would be quite the conspiracy If the NFL was quietly engaged in the backroom practice of attempting to rig outcomes of key games by nudging/directing referees to call (or not call) a few key penalties here and there in order to try to influence certain game outcomes in order to try to follow a specific storyline that the NFL would prefer for that season for ratings.

Perhaps It would be better if a coach had the option to throw the red to use a coaching challenge to review whether a critical penalty called by the refs should be reversed/nullified 

or

the reverse  use an available challenge that a penalty should have been called when the officials didn't call one that was Obvious --- it's still the same amount of challenges a coach has now just an expansion of what they could be used for to right obvious wrongs that could have devastating impacts on the outcome of a particular game

Edited by JG2008
6 minutes ago, tactician said:

That's about the only thing NFL could get away with doing. Disgruntles coaches and players would rat out the owners in a second. Picking officiating crews to favor certain style is not enough to completely rig games. Rigging is a Federal crime. Billionaire owners, who have absolutely everything to lose, their freedom, their reputation, their business, are going to intentionally allow the Pats (one of 32 teams) to win Super Bowl after Super Bowl? The nuts and bolts of this do not make sense. Just admit that man. 

Are you an NFL owner? Do you know all the subtle ins and outs? I sure don't, but I've been in the world enough to know that there is always something. You are right rigging is federal crime. The key then is to manipulate and not get caught, or make it innocent enough that people would think that it was fair and by chance. 

Or you could just do what Trump is currently doing with regard to Russia. (Sorry I swore I wouldn't get political but I couldn't help it)

10 minutes ago, JG2008 said:

That would be quite the conspiracy If the NFL was engaged in the backroom practice of attempting to rig outcomes of key games by nudging/directing referees to call (or not call) a few key penalties here and there in order to influence certain game outcomes in order to try to follow a specific storyline that the NFL would prefer for that season for ratings. It would be better if you had the option to throw the red to use a coaching challenge to review whether a critical penalty called should be reversed or challenge that a penalty should have been called when the officials didn't call one that was oculus --- it's still the same amount of challenges a coach has just an expansion of what they could be used for to right obvious wrongs that could have devastating impacts on the outcome of a particular game

It doesn't even have to be as open as nudging. Simply find the refs with the background and bias you need and put them in the game to referee. Then let human nature do the rest. Everyone has bias. Its all about using it. 

As for your idea, its a good one, but has a lot of controversy and debate about it, that honestly deserves a whole another thread. 

Personally I'm all for limited use of the challenge flag in certain situations as you described but only in 2 min warnings. Although if you gave limited challenged throughout the whole game it would add another facet of strategy to the game that would make the game even more interesting since now you really have to manage your challenges...

4 minutes ago, tactician said:

Here's some psychology for you. When someone does not get the outcome they want, they deligitimize the system or process involved, usually by claiming its rigged or preconceived. Conspiracy theorists are prone to selective bias, accepting information that fits their worldview, and rejecting information that does not.  Conspiracies assure us that bad things don't just happen randomly. Conspiracies tell us that someone out there is accountable, however unwittingly or secretly or incomprehensibly, so it's possible to stop these people and punish them and in due course let everyone else re-establish control over their own lives. Conspiracies also remind us that we shouldn't blame ourselves for our predicaments; it's not our fault, it's them! In these ways, believing in conspiracies serves many of the same self-protective functions as scapegoating.

Agreed, this is a very real definition of absolute conspiracies and believing in conspiracies in the way that you defined is unhealthy because it can lead to paranoia behavior. 

However you and I have to both admit that this definition defines how conspirators view the world, but it does not completely rule out the role of manipulation in the real world and thus in the NFL. Conspiracies are labeled conspiracies when they are unveiled as "conspiracies". Actually 100%, every conspiracy if unveiled is a failed conspiracy. Why? Because you got caught. If unnoticed conspiracies or manipulation are viewed as normal or very logical events. 

It was very nice to have a intelligent conversation with you.

OK, I don't really believe the NFL is fixed.

But if it were ... the only way you could do it that I can see is to have just a few refs in on it, no one else. You wouldn't fully control the outcome of the game, but you could influence it heavily by certain key calls at key times. And many if not most penalties are judgement calls -- the ref could decide to call it or not.

So ... were there any questionable penalties at key moments in the superbowl? Well, how about the 3 defensive holding penalties that gave NE 3 3rd down conversions in a row? Has anybody here looked at those plays to see just how blatant -- or not blatant -- those penalties were? Also, Jake's holding call that put us out of field goal range -- was it a call that sometimes doesn't get made, or was it blatant holding? 

Any others?

Just now, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

OK, I don't really believe the NFL is fixed.

But if it were ... the only way you could do it that I can see is to have just a few refs in on it, no one else. You wouldn't fully control the outcome of the game, but you could influence it heavily by certain key calls at key times. And many if not most penalties are judgement calls -- the ref could decide to call it or not.

So ... were there any questionable penalties at key moments in the superbowl? Well, how about the 3 defensive holding penalties that gave NE 3 3rd down conversions in a row? Has anybody here looked at those plays to see just how blatant -- or not blatant -- those penalties were? Also, Jake's holding call that put us out of field goal range -- was it a call that sometimes doesn't get made, or was it blatant holding? 

Any others?

The thing is you don't even have to tell the refs they are in it. Just pick refs that are bias towards things you want to see. Like if you want a team who is good at bump and run to win, put refs in who don't call holding penalties. The refs would just think they are doing their job. But as the manipulator, more or less you get what you want. Or you for example if you wanted the patriots to win, put in Refs that lived in Boston or have ties to it. You don't think friends and family affect what people do? Every ref, shoot every person wants to be unbiased, but the truth is, everyone is biased.