Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Miller2Rison

time to talk offseason

15 posts in this topic

I'll try to get creative with my break down of the team this offseason

Special teams: 

I'd like to think we fire our coordinator here, but bc of his success I think we keep him another year here. What i think needs to change is we def. need to get better in this aspect. We gave up too much FP in this part of the game. Yes I would love to get a good KR/PR as well bc Weems is Trash. 

Offense: 

We just hired a new OC. PPL who I know about football & who follow it at different levels all have told me that Sark is a great offensive mind. Personally I don't know **** about him. Why I am happy here is that it gives our offense the ability to look fresh and different. I dont think that would have happended under shanahan. I am ok with the new RB coach as I think with the maturity of our 2 RB's we are set. Additions to this side of the ball: Sign a **** Starting OG! Resign Chester as Depth! Draft a Tackle/G to groom in the 3rd/4th and let compton walk, resign Garland!. WR: Resign Gabriel, but look to find a solid player thru the draft or FA. Don't bring back robinson or nick. RB: Late round draft pick or FA or keep ward around.  TE: I think we have our future TE in Hooper, and brining back Tamme & Toilolo would be good enough for this group. Maybe look for a cheap FA, late round pick. 

Defense:

Personally this is the most exciting part of 2017 season. I viewed COX as a subpar coach. the fact that Quinn had the future DL coach here a year in advance boy that is going really help sell family here. I think the DC will be much better than Smith as well too when we nearly ranked in the bottom of the league for most defensive stats. Considering the fact that we have a very talented young defense this offseason will be very key to us adding in the right pieces. I think we should resign upshaw, allen, ish & babs. let go of jackson, and not resign freeney, phillip, or paul. I think we should be ALL in on CC from Arizona. Use our 1st round pick on DE/DT along with 1 or 2  more picks for the DL. At LB: I would love to see us bring in 2 veterns on good cheap contracts and use a high pick on a LB. DB: I trust Quinn & company to find value here out of nothing.

FA:

Sign CC - DE/DT
Sign Ron Leary OG
Sign 2 cheap LB
Sign 1 WR: Corderralle Patterson or Brian Quick (pipe dream to sign kenny britt or kenny stills) 

Draft:

1- DE/DT
2- LB
3- OG/OT
4- S
5- DE/DT
6- RB
7- OG/OT
8- LB

sdogg and anm263 like this

2 hours ago, falconfansince66 said:

Let's pretend we lose a first round pick for being good and acing the past couple of drafts and now we are picking at the top of the second, third, fourth, etc. 

I like it

falconfansince66 likes this

We definitely need to bolster the O-line. I felt that the injuries started to tell on the line in the Super Bowl.  We def need to start molding the next guard and center & have them ready as quality depth.  Maybe even get one in FA (guard or center).  

Keep Robinson & Gabriel

32 minutes ago, Dr Boom said:

We definitely need to bolster the O-line. I felt that the injuries started to tell on the line in the Super Bowl.  We def need to start molding the next guard and center & have them ready as quality depth.  Maybe even get one in FA (guard or center).  

Keep Robinson & Gabriel

I think one of the more overlooked things is how many "depth" players really made plays in the playoffs. Case in point Ben Garland's safety in the playoffs, or the play of Jason Collins. Shoot just look at Upshaw, Babs, and Reed. All "depth signings" but stepped up big. I really think depth is so huge on championship teams. 

All that to say I agree. I would get more OL And DL depth. If TD can hit on another star, or good player in the 1st round (which he does actually pretty frequently) we can be pretty special next year. I would like to see if we can pry Eric Berry from Kansas city. Ricardo is good, but Eric is a superstar. When you get get a superstar, a one in a generation type player, you don't hesitate. If we get Eric Ricardo then becomes a very, very good 3rd safety. 

QB - If Schaub aided Ryan's MVP season as a partner in the film room and on the field. Resign the man.

RB - One power back to move a pile. Old FA or late rookie. Obviously we are set here. Dimarco is the man at FB.

WR - Don't mess with this unit. Jones, Sanu, Gabriel with sprinkles of Hardy and Robinson is good. Fuller coming back hopefully to be new KR/PR with good speed and upside.

TE - Hoopers the man now. If Tamme wants to stay, he needs to be cost friendly. If not, Toilolo blocking and Perkins athleticism is good.

LT- Matthews is what we have. Not elite but good. Seek out better depth.

LG - Levitre is good. Groom young replacement if it's not Schweitzer.

C - Macks elite. Groom Garland.

RG - HUGE need in draft or FA (preferred). Chester back as depth or get a young guy groomed. Matt Ryans MvP play depends on OL being great.

RT - Schraeder is top end RT talent. Find depth that wont lose us games if put in.

DT - Jarrett is our beast. Hageman may be following suit. Find one to two more pocket collapsers to make this unit near elite, NEEDED in draft or FA.

DE - NEEDED in draft or FA, a beast to add to our outside rush; go all in. Clayborn needs to play sparingly. Beasley needs to take the next step and be an every game affecter. Reed may be replaced, but he showed some. Upshaw showed real progress as a rotation man. 

LB - Jones is the man already. Campbell needs to take one more step, but I anticipate he will. NEED to Add a true OLB to replace Beasley's role here in draft or FA. Weatherspoon, Reynolds, Worrilow are quality depth. I like Ish here as well.

CB - Tru is elite. Alford is a great talent. Collins looks to be exactly what we hoped. Poole is a great surprise and wonderfully cheap depth CB. I think Goodwin/Blidi/Olatoye etc are great as 5th CBs. 

S- Neal is the absolute man. Allen has shown to have the right stuff and real determination to improve every year. Ish should be resigned to be a LB/SS hybrid. Get a rookie or FA to push Allen.

K I really hope Bryant doesnt hang them up. He is such a beast. If he does, this is a huge priority for me. Get a very good kicker.

P Bosher is very good. No problem here.

LS he seems to be excellent. Keep him.

PR/KR send Weems packing, maybe that Pressley practice squad kid can be a player? I want a threat. FA or Rookie. Should this have been Fuller?

All in all, 1) OG (MVP Ryan needs OL greatness)

2) DE (Pass Rush needs boost)

3) DT (Lets make our rotation deadly)

4) LB (I don't want Wheeler or Beasley playing this role, get someone better equipt)

5) RB (Power Back)

6) TE/S (luxury picks or signings if presented with them)

7**) K (moves up if no bryant)

Edited by FalconBlood
Crazy Trav likes this

We have another brutal schedule next year (based on 2016 results).  We play 6 playoff teams next year:

• Patriots
  • Green Bay
  • Dallas
  • Seattle
  • Miami
  • Detroit

As for upgrades.  We still need to build a solid and consistent pass rush, so DE and/or DT via FA or Draft.  Another DB, these guys get ding'd up and depth is important.  Another OL for depth.  

Let's talk DL, specifically Hageman.  IMHO this man has all the the tools for greatness, except stamina and more importantly will.  We need big, fast, burly DL guys who have a motor like Jarrett.  Our top draft choices don't have to be like a slot machine- loose the ego TD- if they don't pay off in three years it's time to move on.

23 minutes ago, RichardCNile said:

We have another brutal schedule next year (based on 2016 results).  We play 6 playoff teams next year:

• Patriots
  • Green Bay
  • Dallas
  • Seattle
  • Miami
  • Detroit

As for upgrades.  We still need to build a solid and consistent pass rush, so DE and/or DT via FA or Draft.  Another DB, these guys get ding'd up and depth is important.  Another OL for depth.  

I don't see the schedule nearly as brutal as what this year's looked like at the beginning of the season.

The foundation is there, and they're young and hungry. We have to improve in the trenches, especially on defense. Resign our guys bring in a FA or two. And we have to hit in the draft, like we did last season.  If we can get 2-3 starters in the draft again....I like our chances.

YungFalco and ratesforless like this

14 hours ago, Miller2Rison said:

Super bowl is over, we lost. We get the #31 draft pick. let's talk coaching changes, free agency, and mock drafts. 

Amen bro!!  Need a good distraction and nothing is a finer distraction than the draft & FA!

ratesforless and Miller2Rison like this

3 hours ago, capologist said:

I don't see the schedule nearly as brutal as what this year's looked like at the beginning of the season.

You're not lying. With the exception of you know who, none of the other five scare me as automatic 'Ls. At the time last year's schedule came out, some of us had them 2-4 at best starting out the season.

I'd prioritize adding a starting-caliber lineman to upgrade from Chester (he is 35 after all), another bookend pass rusher to go along with Beasley (can never have too many), a free safety to at least push Allen for the starting spot, praying that Fuller is healthy enough to push Weems out the door, maybe a linebacker to free Beasley to rush the passer more often, a kicker to replace Bryant in the event he hangs them up, as well as replacements for Babs and Freeney in case they also retire. Then we have to have some folks to come in to replace Reed and Tyson Jackson if/when they are released for salary cap purposes as well.

Good distraction, folks...

capologist likes this

12 hours ago, Dr Boom said:

If the Falcons get Calais Campbell they might as well book the hotel and flight to Minneapolis next year. 

That would be great. I love Calais Campbell's tenacity. 

I like Aldrick Robinson much more than useless hardy. I think Gabriel and Robinson are must resigns. I would also love to replace Chris Chester, and get another quality TE. On defense we must sign another DE/ DT with the looming retirements of Freeney and babineaux.