Just now, falconfansince66 said:

I really feel for the Cleveland fans. They got robbed of a Super Bowl (year the former Browns, now Ravens won it all) after being pretty close for quite a few years.  That city got another team but it's even been worse than the "Smith Falcons" ever were. We have so much upside going for us now and this is definitely not the time to bail.  

Yet we have folks who claim to be fans around here and elsewhere proclaiming they are done with this team?

im proud of my team and all they accomplished this year, and proud of how they gave the dynasty pats all they could handle. .....and will be even more proud next year when they return and have a great year. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ARealFalconFan said:

Too much to read. Just answering your Title for this thread which was : "How do we come back?".....

We don't, the team has to. How? They continue to be the best they can be, and US as FANS can only hope the powers that be for the Falcons continue to improve the team.

Hey, LOOK : Nobody really expected what happened to happen at the start of the 2016 season, especially considering the 2015 season start and finish.

The one thing is, going into the 2017 season we as Falcons fans can say is that : "We got an NFC CHAMPIONSHIP, and that's a lot more than any other team in the NFC has to BUILD ON for this season".

Those are my thoughts. I do believe the Falcons will continue to improve. The O-line and the D-line is the key to this team though. Falcons need to continue building on the pass rush, and secure a Center for Matt Ryan as a backup plan, and by that I mean, don't lay all your eggs in one basket or put yourself in a place where one player "OTHER THAN THE QB" if they go down then your season is over, because you can have a backup. perhaps they have one already. But it's something that remains to be seen because while some might say the STRIP SACK ON RYAN in the 4th QTR was RYAN's fault, it was not, it was because the O-LINE failed to protect him. Don't blame Freeman, because we have no idea what the call was. Patriots targeted MACK late in the game because they knew he was injured and that's what I am getting at. Have a better backup play with a player who can't be abused in such a critical situation.

Those are my thoughts. We shall see what the future holds for the Falcons.

To much to read yet you can type your own novel? Lol @vel is on of the best posters on the board. You missed out on a good read. "Real Falcon fan" my ***. 

1 hour ago, vel said:

Look. We're Falcons Fans. This isn't for the faint of heart....

You better be ready for the long haul. 

Yes, we had the Lombardi in our hands. Yes, this shlt hurts. Bad. Yes, this is going to be a nightmare for a long time... 

A lot of us going into this season didn't expect a Super Bowl berth...

The Falcons were being built for Super Bowl 52, not Super Bowl 51. They also were being built for sustainability... 

Double the number of plays our offense ran and we come up 1 play short of the number of plays NE ran.... 

Remember the talk of Blount running all over us. Blount was useless, even getting stripped by a rookie...

I know it hurts, but if we would have won, how many of you all would be expecting us to be back in the Super Bowl next year? Probably every single one of yall here. Same roster. The outcome of the game doesn't change that...

Take a look at our 2017 opponents outside of the NFCS: 

A bunch of chumps we've beaten, or should have beaten -- Falcons Ben Translation

...We are built to Rise Up. 

I'm not only slow clapping in my living room, vel, I thank you for your eloquent and spot-on post. 

I tried to pull out a few quotes that spoke to me on a particularly visceral and cerebral level, but it turned into a lightly abridged version of your post. No disrespect at all intended. 

Hey TL;DR crowd and general pissy-pants: This is truth. Who the **** are you picking to go to the Superbowl next year? 

#RiseThe****Up

P.S. If that game were played 3 times, we all know who would have won. It took everything going against us to give us this heartbreak. It's like I always tell my wife: It is the struggle of these bad times that make the good times so sweet. That's why bandwagon-jumpers will never celebrate as much as we will. 

Edited by Falcon Ben
56 minutes ago, Falcan Moore said:

No. The issue was being too aggressive, if anything. Throwing to the sideline instead of the middle. Not running enough. Not executing. Not running the clock to :01.

If we'd played that way after 28-3, with our defense, giving them breaks, we win. Simple. Situational football. 

A few screens would have helped....A LOT. I think they wre vunerable to throwing to the backs.

The fact that our team is so young makes me feel a lot more encouraged about the 2017 season. I'm not buying the "Super Bowl Hangover" bs. And its such a significant advantage when your young guys already have felt what its like to be in a Super Bowl.

In boxing they call it "ring wisdom" when you have experience in the ring. Thats what our team has. And we had 4 starters on defense who were freaking rookies. Not to mention Jarret and Collins who are just second year players. And Hageman a 3rd year guy. 

I was very impressed with our players after the game and in interviews this week. The young guys know they haven't reached their potential. Our defense is quickly becoming a strength. When's the last time we could say that about this team? Another offseason and this team's defense could be a top 10 unit. 

18 minutes ago, Clark Kent™ said:

The fact that our team is so young makes me feel a lot more encouraged about the 2017 season. I'm not buying the "Super Bowl Hangover" bs. And its such a significant advantage when your young guys already have felt what its like to be in a Super Bowl.

In boxing they call it "ring wisdom" when you have experience in the ring. Thats what our team has. And we had 4 starters on defense who were freaking rookies. Not to mention Jarret and Collins who are just second year players. And Hageman a 3rd year guy. 

Sure, that SB loss hurts, but so many need to wipe away those tears and FOCUS.  Ask every one of those who are bad mouthing our team right now if they thought the Falcons would even BE in the Super Bowl (much less the playoffs) this year and maybe one or two of them will lie and say they expected us to win it all.  We came very darned close with a very young team.  IF THIS TEAM IS NOT EXCEEDING YOUR EXPECTATIONS - THEN GO ROUTE FOR ANOTHER TEAM THAT WILL. 

On the defensive side, we continue to build and nurture a group of kids who terrorized Tom Brady until their ***holes were sucking buttermilk.

On the offensive side, we come back with an OC who has no ego, a shell of a man who is vying for redemption. We imprint our system on him. Our MVP QB tells him how he likes to go about business. We allow audibles in case the new OC loses his ****ed mind and wants to throw the ball with 14 seconds left on the play clock, an 8 point lead, 3 minutes left in the game at the 22 yard line.

21 minutes ago, shock said:

I was very impressed with our players after the game and in interviews this week. The young guys know they haven't reached their potential. Our defense is quickly becoming a strength. When's the last time we could say that about this team? Another offseason and this team's defense could be a top 10 unit. 

Honestly, with the way we played in the playoffs, if the season were starting today, I think our D would be top 10. We shut out Green Bay in the first half and allowed 9 points through 3 quarters vs. the Patriots with the highest possible stakes. Thinking of how hard all of our guys worked and played is probably the one thing that is keeping me from curling up in a ball over this loss. They've got to feel terrible, even worse than I do, but they are going to come back hungry as ****.

if Mack and Clayborn were healthy,Falcons can sustain their defensive and offensive success and they throttle the patriots.

Priority this offseason is upgrading both  lines. I'd like a vet on both lines- a vet guard and a vet DTackle. Then spend the first two picks on Oline and edge rusher.

Falcons have another offseason like the last two, they'll be primed for another deep playoff run. I think they will, Quinn knows what this teams needs..

This team could come back next year deeper stronger faster, and hungry.  The defense we saw in the playoffs for 11 quarters should be how the Falcons defense starts next year. The additional depth along the Dline means they don't have a fade next year. The additional depth for the Oline means the offense and defense will complement one another perfectly.

I think it's really easy to be honest we move past this game and keep doing what we are doing and continue building.

DQ has been here 2 years and got us on the cusp of winning it all.Ive seen enough of this guy and I believe in who he is and what he's about.

What we don't do is panic and do something dumb in FA.The team is trending up.We have all the key foundation players in place.We are in great cap shape and are loaded with picks and we are good to go.

Man I know it hurts right now but we are in great shape going forward.

3 hours ago, vel said:

Look. We're Falcons Fans. This isn't for the faint of heart. Ask old man FFS70. You better be ready for the long haul. 

Yes, we had the Lombardi in our hands. Yes, this shlt hurts. Bad. Yes, this is going to be a nightmare for a long time. I'm expecting the pain to last about 364 days from when it happened. 

A lot of us going into this season didn't expect a Super Bowl berth. We all expected about a 10 win season and wild card ticket to be the ceiling. Nobody expected the #2 seed. Nobody expected an NFCCG game. Nobody expected an MVP season from Matt. A top ten offense all time. It was doom and gloom going into the season. Add in the hardest schedule in the league and it was easy to find another hobby besides the Falcons coming into this season. ESPECIALLY after the week one loss. 

But here we are, a couple days from trying to find the words/pieces/rationale for what happened on Sunday night. Forget 17-0, no Falcons fan will ever be able to see the numbers "28" and "3" together and not feel pain. Remorse. Sadness. Torture. It's going to hurt. Forever. But the pain won't last beyond 364 days. 

Why 364 days? Because the next Super Bowl is February 4, 2018. In Minnesota. 

The Falcons were being built for Super Bowl 52, not Super Bowl 51. They also were being built for sustainability. This wasn't like the flash in the pan Carolina was last year. This was more like Denver in SB 48. The main weakness of this team was youth, not talent. We started four rookies and multiple players with less than 2 years of starting experience on defense. They got better every single game. They are the primary reason we are hurting from the 28-3 lead. Because they are the reason the Pats only scored 3 points. They showed up and showed out in the Super Bowl. Yes, they ran out of gas. Not even the 85 Bears could hold up playing 93 plays. No defense could withstand that. But they still only allowed 28 points before overtime with the Pats essentially playing two games worth of plays against them. Think about that. Double the number of plays our offense ran and we come up 1 play short of the number of plays NE ran. 

Take for example Grady Jarrett. Grady balled out. Second year player. He balled out why? Because of the mere presence of Vic, the league leading sack artist, who was "quiet" in the Super Bowl. Look at the doubles and attention Vic garnered every snap. It allowed the pressure to get to Brady. Robert Alford, the much maligned, polarizing CB, balled out all game. Ricardo Allen didn't allow any big plays and made sure the Pats had to work for anything deep. Guys, we are really good on both sides of the ball and built for any offense. Remember the talk of Blount running all over us. Blount was useless, even getting stripped by a rookie. Neal, Campbell, and Poole didn't really impact as much as the other mentioned guys, but we've seen them do it. 

I know it hurts, but if we would have won, how many of you all would be expecting us to be back in the Super Bowl next year? Probably every single one of yall here. Same roster. The outcome of the game doesn't change that. We are built for January football and have the HC who can keep us in contention. We have the most complete roster in the NFC with very few holes after upgrading the RG spot. Seriously. Look at the roster. 

QB? WR? RB? TE? OL? CB? S? LB? 

Where do we need help? RG and the DL. We have $30MM and I honestly hope we don't spend over half of that. Roll it over or spend it on our players. I'm not saying stand pat with the roster like Smitty did post-2012 NFCCG. The difference is our young players will continue to grow and we can add to them this time. We're not adding a Steven Jackson and Osi Umenyiora and hoping for the best. 

Take a look at our 2017 opponents outside of the NFCS: 

HOME: Green Bay, Minnesota, Buffalo, Miami, Dallas

AWAY: Chicago, Detroit, New England, New York, Seattle

I know the draft and free agency hasn't happened yet, but do you really think we can't take these teams, regardless of who they add? Given the gauntlet we just went through this season, I'm willing to wager we can take on every one of those teams. 

Look up boys and girls. Sunday hurt. But the players didn't flinch at anything after the game. Look at the reaction of the Panthers last year and the Falcons this year. Like DQ said, we have to own that we came up short. But we'll be back. Very soon. These boys aren't going to let this be the story of the Falcons. Plenty of teams have lost the SB only to come back and be in it the next year. The beloved 1972 Dolphins went undefeated but lost the Super Bowl the year prior. 14% of SB losers have made back to back appearances. Considering we somehow found the .3% chance of losing on Sunday, I will take 14%. The way we are built, we will be like the other eight SB losers before Carolina and win at least 10 games. 

It hurts. I know. Feel the pain. But don't let it fester. We'll be back. We're built to be back. We are built to Rise Up. 

No please stop!!! 25 points you are up ...dont care who you are playing against. Not excusable...cant sugar coat it!! 20-28 late in 4th qtr around patriots 30 yards ....all we had to do was run the efffin ball even if we get stuffed back to back 1) we could have taken time off clock 2) taken a field goal with golden boot with Matthew effin Bryant (who may not be back next year) good luck finding a clutch kicker.

This has scarred us fans for life ....period!!

This will haunt this team for life ....the odds of them coming back to superbowl and having this high probabilityof winning the game @99% = Zero!

Shanny effed us over big way!!! & for gods sake why would Matt Ryan or Dan Quinn agree with that play call???!!!!! 

Didnt we all learn from Seahawks what happens when you get too aggressive or too cute with Patriots and give them inch!!! They take your hearts and soul out and shove you in abysmal hole.

No excuses guys!! Just just stop expecting Lombardis from this franchise...use this as your pass time and not your passion/religion .

Im honestly going to seek pychiatric therapy to deal with this loss for next 2 months. 

Goodnight falcons nation!! 

Edited by mattyicefalcon
53 minutes ago, falconidae said:

if Mack and Clayborn were healthy,Falcons can sustain their defensive and offensive success and they throttle the patriots.

Priority this offseason is upgrading both  lines. I'd like a vet on both lines- a vet guard and a vet DTackle. Then spend the first two picks on Oline and edge rusher.

Falcons have another offseason like the last two, they'll be primed for another deep playoff run. I think they will, Quinn knows what this teams needs..

This team could come back next year deeper stronger faster, and hungry.  The defense we saw in the playoffs for 11 quarters should be how the Falcons defense starts next year. The additional depth along the Dline means they don't have a fade next year. The additional depth for the Oline means the offense and defense will complement one another perfectly.

Keep that in mind to START the 2017 season.  Imagine this scenario.  We go to New England to start the 2017 season.  On defense we have a healthy, Clayborn, Shelby, Trufant and Ishmael and yes, even Mack on the offense.  Maybe even a new 'stud' starting at RG and we go there and bury their butts in points the whole entire game.  Just finish up a beatdown that started in the first half of the Super Bowl. Now that would be some pretty nice redemption. 

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

Yet we have folks who claim to be fans around here and elsewhere proclaiming they are done with this team?

im proud of my team and all they accomplished this year, and proud of how they gave the dynasty pats all they could handle. .....and will be even more proud next year when they return and have a great year. 

Amen Vandy.

All this means for me is strengthen my resolve.I understand completely that we missed a huge opportunity and getting back there is going to be tough.But tough is what our coach is and he'll pass that onto our players.

Victory and retribution is going to taste sweet.

Ryan will win one before he retires, Sunday guaranteed that.  You don't throw/rig/fix a game like that without assurance that you will secure your legacy as well.  I've already stated he will win it in 2019 here in Atlanta or 2024.  We will come back from behind to win, the shedding our choke artist moniker and bringing joy back to the city.  It will all be a farce, of course.

Remember in our day and age of instant access to everything people take liberties and say things they don't want to for any other reason out of sheer pain of heart.

I know I've said a lot of things in my life I can't even recall that were because of emotions.

Real fans come around. Everyone has to process a loss like this one in their own way. If they are real, they will be back and didn't really mean it.

Focus on yourself and not the other guy; except to help him out <--- That's what Quinn's culture of "Brotherhood" was all about.

I do appreciate your points but no it was not "doom and gloom" for some of us going into this season.

For some discerning fans first comes to mind @gazoo, we knew the offense was going to take us to the playoffs - all the pieces were in place. We got lucky with injuries and like you said made the 2nd seed. But No one can say their team is the best team in the NFL going INTO a season. Even after playing half the season, you know if your team is a top 10, top 5 team, but until the playoffs are here, we really do not know what our team's ceiling is. You get to the playoffs, you have a shot. So as a fan, I ask myself, can we get to the playoffs?

I look at this team and I say **** Yes we can get to the playoffs next season. And that means we have a chance to get back to the big dance and win it for once. And no I'm not a homer, but yes I am an optimist. So is our head coach.

1 minute ago, NCFalconfan said:

As soon as the game ended I thought that this will effect this team in one or two ways: complete collapse or laser guided missile like focus in 2017. I have a feeling that the latter will be the option taken.

It better be or it's going to be the longest, saddest football season since the Dan Henning years. 

12 hours ago, Wardog357 said:

A few screens would have helped....A LOT. I think they wre vunerable to throwing to the backs.

Notice we also never ran the tunnel screen to Gabriel in that game, never really tried to throw to the backs, never ran the ball in the second half, made clock mistakes a little league team would not make, defended passes that could have easily be caught, along with a host of other "mistakes".  No, this was not a loss, this was a fix...no question.