Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PHALCONABERNATHY

I believe I'm back together...

26 posts in this topic

Last night was tough. There's no doubt about that, and anyone who is still upset after that loss I completely understand. But we as fans, the same group of people who sent the Falcons off in style to Houston from our city, are the same group of people  who have to support this team. Not saying everyone has to right now because I understand it's only been one day, but everyone will come to grips eventually. We have to focus on the future and learn from our mistakes. Matt Ryan is still our QB and is an MVP. Our defense played spectacular and will be a force going forward and we're not losing any pieces on offense. (Except Shanny and maybe Freeman?) Either way it goes, we're still in this and we have a window. I know there will be 100 threads lost within the next week because people are emotional about this, but I feel confident moving forward. We didn't make it as far as we did and essentially come within a coin toss of a Lombardi by mistake. Once a Bird, always a Bird. This is a Brotherhood. GO FALCONS!!!!

I've actually gotten more upset during the day.  This morning I was numb, now I keep replaying the debacle in my head.

I'm going home and put away a triple scotch, have some dinner, and tomorrow I'll be a lot better.  I hope.  It's just hard, even as a longtime Falcon fan,  adjusting to the now world-infamous fact that my team just did, indeed pull the biggest choke in pro football history. 

(Incidentally, I was 17 when we blew the 1981 playoff game vs Dallas.  It haunted me for a long time.  But last night made that Dallas game seem like losing a game of Scrabble to my granny)

theDIRTYcode and Sn4tteRBoxXeR like this

Tell me your secret to getting back together so fast. I am an absolute wreck. Slept for two hours last night and feel my stomach drop whenever I think about 28-3 in the 3rd. 

Please don't get me wrong. I understand that this is "just" sports. I have had far worse things happen in my life and the lives of loved ones than a sports team losing. 

But in some ways, that's WHY sports are so contagious. It's like a release, an outlet, something to pour your passion into, rooting for something bigger than you with others. No matter what else is going on in your life, you have that source of intense fun.

Problem is, sometimes it backfires. And last night was a backfire of epic proportions.

I'll bounce back.

But not quite yet.

2 minutes ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

Tell me your secret to getting back together so fast. I am an absolute wreck. Slept for two hours last night and feel my stomach drop whenever I think about 28-3 in the 3rd. 

Please don't get me wrong. I understand that this is "just" sports. I have had far worse things happen in my life and the lives of loved ones than a sports team losing. 

But in some ways, that's WHY sports are so contagious. It's like a release, an outlet, something to pour your passion into, rooting for something bigger than you with others. No matter what else is going on in your life, you have that source of intense fun.

Problem is, sometimes it backfires. And last night was a backfire of epic proportions.

I'll bounce back.

But not quite yet.

Go buy Madden 17. Pick the Falcons. Master it. After you win the Superbowl, have a local embroidery company fix you up some championship hats. Thats the ONLY way you gonna win fooling with the Falcons...and THAT might not even work, the Madden Falcons might choke...:lol:

Just now, slickgadawg said:

Go buy Madden 17. Pick the Falcons. Master it. After you win the Superbowl, has a local embroidery company fix you up some championship hats. Thats the ONLY way you gonna win fooling with the Falcons...and THAT might not even work, the Madden Falcons might choke...:lol:

I guess the one upside of last night is that I'm so upset from the game, I have no room left to be upset by trolls. Silver linings.

Dem Birds and falken like this

Here's the deal, I don't care what anyone says. As a football fan, it was an epic game, as a Falcons fan we look at it as the worst choke job in history. However you look at it, it was the first possession in overtime for them that won the game. And   No other qb comes back from that big a deficit. Not Rodgers, not Manning, no one. Brady has convinced me he is the GOAT and part of coming to grips with this loss is to admit that to yourself like I have. The team will bounce back, and us fans will too.

Sn4tteRBoxXeR likes this

Hey Man #RiseUp has never meant more than it did this season. Amazing season, no matter the outcome. I said that before the SB and it's still true after. The Players PLAYED, that's what you want to see as a fan. Coaches can **** us over, and DID. but I'm so proud of the Falcons. Next year is going to be even better.

PHALCONABERNATHY likes this

I keep flip flopping. On one hand I'm so proud we made it as far as we did. We have a team with a bunch of young talent and players in their prime. We can get back to the Super Bowl. 

On the other hand, we ****ing blew it man. Who knows when we will get back to the Super Bowl. We were literally bending them over at half time, there's no way they should've came back. All we had to do was run, run, run, and kick a FG. That game was ours in the bag man. We should be SB Champs. I just can't believe it's real. 

I'm just drained, this is hard to swallow and I will always be a fan, but this is the most hurtful loss I've dealt with. I'm going to take a couple weeks off from football and sports in general. I'll be back. I don't know when, but I'll be here. This will take a while to heal. What's even worse is today is my bday, all I wanted was a win. I just can't ****ing believe it. 

See you around fellas. 

7 minutes ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

I'll bounce back.

But not quite yet.

Time heals all wounds. Each day you will feel a little better.  Sorry I dont have more inspirational words that that, but time really is the only thing that can fix this.  I would also encourage you to focus your energy on something else for a while.  Get away from Falcons football for a little bit, get centered, and you will be ready for next year.

12 minutes ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

I guess the one upside of last night is that I'm so upset from the game, I have no room left to be upset by trolls. Silver linings.

Not trolling you. Just making light of the situation...Do NOT take this stuff serious. Thats my message. 

19 minutes ago, octoslash said:

I've actually gotten more upset during the day.  This morning I was numb, now I keep replaying the debacle in my head.

I'm going home and put away a triple scotch, have some dinner, and tomorrow I'll be a lot better.  I hope.  It's just hard, even as a longtime Falcon fan,  adjusting to the now world-infamous fact that my team just did, indeed pull the biggest choke in pro football history. 

(Incidentally, I was 17 when we blew the 1981 playoff game vs Dallas.  It haunted me for a long time.  But last night made that Dallas game seem like losing a game of Scrabble to my granny)

Thing is... at least this loss was to Brady and with Historic implications. This game will be remembered as Brady's triumph more than Falcons loss. That Seahawks loss is different, it was just 'another superbowl' for the Pats.

I have taken this loss surprisingly well. Not sure that there is one singular thing that made me not give in to the emotions of anger. 

When White ran that TD in, I was numb. About 10 minutes later my 3 year old son hugged me and said goodnight daddy, I love you. In that moment, for me, the sting of the game began to fade. 

I have been so busy today with home repairs that I just allow myself fleeting thoughts about the game. This was similar to the Oiler Bills debacle. And hey, add 3 more losses in a row in the bowl and we are bills fans. 

This team is young. They played with house money and overacheived. 30 other teams in the NFL would have loved to make it to the SuperBowl while in rebuild mode. Regardless of last nights outcome, I am optimistic about the future.

At the end of the day it sucks. It really does. Not sure anyone has a secret to getting over it and I do not beleive anyone has any right to tell anyone else how to feel. We will all deal with it on our own terms and be right back here come August rooting for the Falcons. 

Well I will be anyways. So cuss, laugh, drink, sleep, ignore, or whatever gets you through.  Either way I hope to see all of you back next season. 

3 minutes ago, pr0d16y said:

You don't seem to understand what you saw last night.

Yes I do, we lost the Super Bowl and squandered a 25 point lead. I realize that. Just suck it up and move on. No other choice! I'm still a Falcon fan.

This feels like the 1991 Braves all over again. . . .the conflicted feelings of unexpectedly getting so far but coming up short

(and don't get me started about Sid Bream and his 3-6-3 bases loaded double play in the 8th of game 7)

3 minutes ago, Sui_Generis said:

Well I will be anyways. So cuss, laugh, drink, dleep, ignore, or whatever gets you through.  Either way I hope to see all of you back next season.

Well everything except whine or troll

4 minutes ago, Sui_Generis said:

I have taken this loss surprisingly well. Not sure that there is one singular thing that made me not give in to the emotions of anger. 

When White ran that TD in, I was numb. About 10 minutes later my 3 year old son hugged me and said goodnight daddy, I love you. In that moment, for me, the sting of the game began to fade. 

I have so busy today with home repairs that I just allow myself fleeting thoughts about the game. This was similar to the Oiler Bills debacle. And hey, add 3 more losses in a row in the bowl and we are bills fans. 

This team is young. They played with house money and overacheived. 30 other teams in the NFL would have loved to make it to the SuperBowl while in rebuild mode. Regardless of last nights outcome, I am optimistic about the future.

At the end of the day it sucks. It really does. Not sure anyone has a secret to getting over it and I do not beleive anyone has any right to tell anyone else how to feel. We will all deal with it on our own terms and be right back here come August rooting for the Falcons. 

Well I will be anyways. So cuss, laugh, drink, dleep, ignore, or whatever gets you through.  Either way I hope to see all of you back next season. 

I love that.  I feel the exact same as you.  A few years ago, I would have taken this really really hard.  Im surprisingly doing okay and its because I am able to look at my son and realize where my true passion lies and what I truly live for.  I love the Falcons too, but at the end of the day, they are playing a game...

ukfalc and Sui_Generis like this

1 minute ago, Clark said:

I love that.  I feel the exact same as you.  A few years ago, I would have taken this really really hard.  Im surprisingly doing okay and its because I am able to look at my son and realize where my true passion lies and what I truly live for.  I love the Falcons too, but at the end of the day, they are playing a game...

Yeah, we've made it back to the Super Bowl and after we lost I felt a small part of my love for this team die and I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. I truly believe id have ironically felt the same emotion either way.

1 minute ago, PHALCONABERNATHY said:

Yeah, we've made it back to the Super Bowl and after we lost I felt a small part of my love for this team die and I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. I truly believe id have ironically felt the same emotion either way.

Me too man.  I dont think I will be able to find the same passion for them after this loss.  Ill always be a fan, always.  But I just feel a slight detachment from this team right now and Im not sure itll come back 100%.  Maybe Im wrong.

1 minute ago, Clark said:

Me too man.  I dont think I will be able to find the same passion for them after this loss.  Ill always be a fan, always.  But I just feel a slight detachment from this team right now and Im not sure itll come back 100%.  Maybe Im wrong.

You will be back. I came back. I felt worse after the whole 2007 season. Didn't think I would ever come back. But here I am. Having fun and having no regrets. It stings, but hey as the old saying goes, there is always next season.