Why snap with 15+ seconds on the play clock?

the_sheff

I can maybe get over bad breaks and blown calls, but why wouldn't we even try to help ourselves by using the clock when we had the ball?  NE was down and they were burning more clock between plays than we were. What the hell!?  They did every single thing they could to let NE win that game. 

That and so many things helped lose this game. Freeman Whiff that led to a fumble to me was the turning point. Not running the ball at the NE 22 with under 5 minutes left in the game. Put the dagger into what should have been a game winning drive. Then to top it off losing the coin flip in overtime. The game should have never made it to overtime. 

1 hour ago, the_sheff said:

I can maybe get over bad breaks and blown calls, but why wouldn't we even try to help ourselves by using the clock when we had the ball?  NE was down and they were burning more clock between plays than we were. What the hell!?  They did every single thing they could to let NE win that game. 

Because Atlanta.  That's why. 

Pretty good summary of how Shanahan blew this one:

http://deadspin.com/what-the-hell-was-kyle-shanahan-thinking-1792039425?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Excerpts:

Here is a complete list of all the times the Falcons ran the ball after being up 28-12 with 9:40 left to play in the Super Bowl:

• 9:40 Tevin Coleman takes a toss to the right side for eight yards
  • 9:00 Tevin Coleman runs up the middle for one yard, is injured
  • 5:18 Devonta Freeman runs to the right end for two yards
  • 4:40 Devonta Freeman runs to the left end for -1 yard

And that’s it! That is a complete list all the times Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan thought to run the ball while protecting a lead in the final minutes of the Super Bowl—this despite the fact that he was working with one of the best running attacks in the league, which had spent the first half of the game shredding the Patriots’ defense.

It wasn’t just the play calling that was strange, either. Throughout the fourth quarter, the Falcons kept snapping the ball without letting the play clock run all the way down. I counted four instances in the fourth quarter when the Falcons snapped the ball with 10 seconds or more on the play clock while the game clock was still running. That kind of Andy Reid-ish clock management goes deservedly unnoticed when it happens in a normal game, but when you allow the biggest comeback in NFL playoff history, every little thing deserves to be scrutinized.

10 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I'm fine with running tempo to keep them off balance.  The passing from the 22 when a FG wins is the headscratcher for me.  

I didnt see anything that led me to believe their defense was off balance in the 4th quarter.  If anything it was our offense that was out of sorts.  

9 minutes ago, the_sheff said:

I didnt see anything that led me to believe their defense was off balance in the 4th quarter.  If anything it was our offense that was out of sorts.  

I'm not suggesting it worked, only that I'm okay with the strategies.  Sometimes strategies don't work even if they make sense.

The FG on the other hand -- that doesn't make sense.  Burn the clock, take the points, get the hardware.

One dumbass after another on this team...

Pretty simple.

OC calls 5 run plays for the 2nd half

DQ doesnt over rule and tell him to run the ball down their throats

QB has the situational awareness of a 4 year old playing with her dolls. Not only takes the sack, but doesnt audible into a run play when only 22yds out and Freeman running the ball well. lol

Essentially, the offense handed the game to the young defense and said- "its all yours"

7 hours ago, slamee101 said:

http://deadspin.com/what-the-hell-was-kyle-shanahan-thinking-1792039425?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Excerpts:

Here is a complete list of all the times the Falcons ran the ball after being up 28-12 with 9:40 left to play in the Super Bowl:

And that’s it! That is a complete list all the times Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan thought to run the ball while protecting a lead in the final minutes of the Super Bowl—this despite the fact that he was working with one of the best running attacks in the league, which had spent the first half of the game shredding the Patriots’ defense.

It wasn’t just the play calling that was strange, either. Throughout the fourth quarter, the Falcons kept snapping the ball without letting the play clock run all the way down. I counted four instances in the fourth quarter when the Falcons snapped the ball with 10 seconds or more on the play clock while the game clock was still running. That kind of Andy Reid-ish clock management goes deservedly unnoticed when it happens in a normal game, but when you allow the biggest comeback in NFL playoff history, every little thing deserves to be scrutinized.

Absolutely 

" If there’s one person who could have prevented all of them from coming into existence, though, it’s the guy who was unable to execute a fourth-quarter offense that every teen who’s ever played Madden could have pulled off.  "

Want to know how I know the NFL is rigged?  Read that up above this^,

8 hours ago, the_sheff said:

Yep, had the offense stayed agresssive , D wouldnt have been tired,  especially after they palyed there asses  off

8 hours ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

Arrogance, plain and simple. He wanted to show the world how great this offense is and didn't want to go by the book of running the clock out after having a 99.3% win probability. Protect the football, play the clock, you win.

Nailed it. This guy is an egomaniac. Everyone seems to forget what a turd sucking loser he was last year. The only good thing that came out of this is that the clown is leaving ATL.

8 hours ago, slamee101 said:

Excerpts:

lol k

hindsight is 20/20

if we did what deadspin 'geniuses' thought we shoulda done but still lost, then

1) falcons need to keep their feet on the pedal and not let pats back into the game.  playing conservative when your passing attack has been great is stupid

2) you keep the ball in the MVP's hands not the running back, idiot coaching staff afraid to let their MVP QB win the game for them

3) if we ran the ball on that 3rd and 1 and devonte got stuffed, then people will bitch that we were too conservative and shoulda passed.  if you watched the play devonte was wide open and matt ryan just had to get off his frist read and devonte just needed a stronger chip

4) if we slow the clock down and get stopped, people would complain about that because the uptempo offense is what allowed us to have such a prolific offense this year

media is stupid

Edited by BLM

Didn't want to make a new post but Shannon had some gems that highlight issues I've had with Shanny for a while.

Shannon Sharpe explains how Kyle Shanahan cost the Falcons in Super Bowl choke job

"I’m thinking to myself ‘Kyle [Shanahan], what are you doing? You have a job secure. You don’t have to prove anything. You got a six-year deal that’s guaranteed. You showing how great of an offensive coordinator you are is not gonna change anything.’

It’s not like you can get an eight-year deal now. So there is nothing for you to prove."

"With five minutes left in the game, Matt Ryan’s running a play with 20 seconds on the clock. Does he realize that the clock is his ally, not his foe? Why would you run a play with 20 seconds on the clock?

You should not be snapping the ball with over five seconds on the clock. Five seconds, snap the ball. Why are you being so aggressive? If you look at the way they called this game once they got up 28-3, it was almost like they were down 28-3. They’re still in hurry-up."

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/shannon-sharpe-explains-how-kyle-shanahan-cost-the-falcons-in-super-bowl-choke-job-020617