Ok WTF, seriously...how did we blow this....

clownorg

3 hours ago, NCFalconfan said:

The game should have been over when Julio made that catch at the 22. The whole stdium with the exception of one very ego driven O.C. knew it. We did the only thing that could have unscrewed NE at that point which was drop back and attempt to pass instead of working the clock and taking an 11 point lead.

3 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

Poor execution in the second half. 

PREACH!!

5 hours ago, NCFalconfan said:

The game should have been over when Julio made that catch at the 22. The whole stdium with the exception of one very ego driven O.C. knew it. We did the only thing that could have unscrewed NE at that point which was drop back and attempt to pass instead of working the clock and taking an 11 point lead.

this

21 minutes ago, cwell1 said:

Why did we stop feeding freeman though? he was gashing them on the ground. The defensive performance plus an unstoppable ground game easily wins that. But out of nowhere we go pass happy and Coleman happy when Free was eating

Makes it even more of a head scratcher on 3rd and 1 doesnt it? Especially considering if freeman doesn't get a single yard (or even loses a few) you're still in FG range to ice the game. But whats the likelihood of that when you have been getting what you need for most of the night running? Its the most idiotic ego driven play calling I've ever seen. Theres a huge difference between being aggressive and being ridiculous. 

59 minutes ago, HOYLE said:

The coin toss went their way and with our defense gassed and Brady pouring it on...we needed somebody to reach down and make a play.

Josh McDaniels said when the Falcons lost the OT coin toss he knew the Patriots would drive and score.  We had nothing left.

5 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Momentum is such a mysterious phenomenon ..For all those who claim it's not real, you could see it swing to Pats right before your eyes....

I'd normally agree, but in that situation the Patriots had dominated the CONTROL of the game; pacing the Falcons off of the field by playing situationally sound football while Kyle didn't throw to the backs but tried to make Hooper the hero while our 3 WRs got covered and more attention.

Atlanta's defense did a lot to keep Atlanta in the game and Atlanta did get their shots, but the Falcons were too big in the chunk yardage and didn't get a methodical/time eating drive to close the game. Atlanta HAD momentum BACK on their drive when they were in FG range. The situational play call ended it.

Momentum is real, but in that game it took a lot of the Falcons giving for Pats to utilize it but it was also in truth set up by the plays disparity. 

Belichick was not going to let our pass game beat him alone. The Falcons didn't adjust properly and Hooper winds up with most targets. 6.

Freeman got 2 and Coleman got 1 before leaving. 

^You can't tell me that was the game plan. Later, on Freeman's 39 yard catch and run? Wide open. guess what? The protection scheme had 2 TEs covering our right side (oh Atlanta might run? double TE) NE still FOCUSED their attention on the 3 WRs, and the TEs stayed blocking.

Where was this sort of utilization of Freeman or Coleman earlier? They kept trying the fancy or flashy and got caught not being methodical enough. Shanahan blew it BEFORE the chance to redeem himself, but of course he was compromised and no one realized he'd dial up some more bad situational calls...at least until we saw the risk/reward be risk losing FG points and the game. Yep, time to complete the choke while he leaves the San Fran.

Edited by slimjim

4 minutes ago, slimjim said:

I'd normally agree, but in that situation the Patriots had dominated the CONTROL of the game; pacing the Falcons off of the field. Atlanta's defense did a lot to keep Atlanta in the game and Atlanta did get their shots, but the Falcons were too big in the chunk yardage and didn't get a methodical/time eating drive to close the game. Atlanta HAD momentum BACK on their drive when they were in FG range. The situational play call ended it.

Momentum is real, but in that game it took a lot of the Falcons giving for Pats to utilize it but it was also in truth set up by the plays disparity. 

That's how mo works though, isn't it? Seems as if you can do no wrong, every button you push turns out right, while opposing team can do nothing right?

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

That's how mo works though, isn't it? Seems as if you can do no wrong, every button you push turns out right, while opposing team can do nothing right?

I guess. I edited my post,....been up all night. It's real but Belichick did not abandon their commitment to making Atlanta beat them CONSISTENTLY outside of their receivers. Shanahan man...why... :(

6 hours ago, fuego said:

It wouldn't have mattered if we'd just kicked a FG with a few minutes to go and made it a two score game. That's on Shanny.

Actually it falls on DQ. He should have said, run the ball.  The one time we really should have played Smitty ball and didn't bit us square in the ass...

7 minutes ago, capologist said:

Actually it falls on DQ. He should have said, run the ball.  The one time we really should have played Smitty ball and didn't bit us square in the ass...

I thought the same thing, too. Didn't want to say it because Smitty deserves better than be compared to Kyle, ever. In my book. Quinn and Smith are defensive minded guys. The problem? Quinn is a slightly more new age than Smith was. Quinn has good foundation, wrong situational. Kyle's inner self-centered egomaniac or WHATEVER allowed him to be compromised and the whole brotherhood failed together by trusting in Kyle TOO much. Quinn will have to learn this and get a Super Bowl before Atlanta ever lets him fully live it down.

Why? It's the pain of being a fan of a team you KNEW FINALLY had it's shot and let the game go in the worst ways possible.

49 minutes ago, FalconMama said:

Josh McDaniels said when the Falcons lost the OT coin toss he knew the Patriots would drive and score.  We had nothing left.

Still Brady hit Beasley in his left hand with a pass in the endzone. He was defending when he needed to be receiving.

3 hours ago, CarolinaBirdFan said:

So many of you are right, this one is on Shanahan. We run the ball twice, eat up another minute or so on the clock, kick the field goal and go up 11 with a couple minutes left, game over. But no, he had to try and get cute. I hope he understands that this loss sits squarely on his shoulders.

Why would he give a ****?  He earned a 40 million dollar contract this year.  You think he wouldn't sell this franchise down the river for 1/10th of that?  I've been a fan for almost 40 years and I would.  This **** is just so obviously fake plastic bull5hit.

2 hours ago, slimjim said:

I'd normally agree, but in that situation the Patriots had dominated the CONTROL of the game; pacing the Falcons off of the field by playing situationally sound football while Kyle didn't throw to the backs but tried to make Hooper the hero while our 3 WRs got covered and more attention.

Atlanta's defense did a lot to keep Atlanta in the game and Atlanta did get their shots, but the Falcons were too big in the chunk yardage and didn't get a methodical/time eating drive to close the game. Atlanta HAD momentum BACK on their drive when they were in FG range. The situational play call ended it.

Belichick was not going to let our pass game beat him alone. The Falcons didn't adjust properly and Hooper winds up with most targets. 6.

Freeman got 2 and Coleman got 1 before leaving. 

^You can't tell me that was the game plan. Later, on Freeman's 39 yard catch and run? Wide open. guess what? The protection scheme had 2 TEs covering our right side (oh Atlanta might run? double TE) NE still FOCUSED their attention on the 3 WRs, and the TEs stayed blocking.

Where was this sort of utilization of Freeman or Coleman earlier? They kept trying the fancy or flashy and got caught not being methodical enough. Shanahan blew it BEFORE the chance to redeem himself, but of course he was compromised and no one realized he'd dial up some more bad situational calls...at least until we saw the risk/reward be risk losing FG points and the game. Yep, time to complete the choke while he leaves the San Fran.

No such thing as "momentum" in the sense you are talking about. It is nothing more than NFL hyperbole for a bunch of variables that occurred. The Pats won time of possession and the D got gassed. The D got gassed because the offensive play calling sucked and failed to take any time off the clock and give the D time to rest. I don't care what sport you are playing, if you have no stamina, you will lose.

4 hours ago, HOYLE said:

The coin toss went their way and with our defense gassed and Brady pouring it on...we needed somebody to reach down and make a play.

And somebody did.  That ref reached right down into his pants and threw that weak as all **** PI flag on a LB covering a man in the endzone.  The FIX WAS IN.