Unkn0wn

Braves Spring Training

400 posts in this topic

Anthony Recker assigned to AAA. 

Danks doesn't want to pitch in the minors. Braves had no MLB spot for him. He's seeking a new team with a roster spot available.

Adonis returns to the lineup tomorrow. He's been out about 11 days with a hamstring issue.

5 hours ago, jidady said:

Can someone list which of our players are out of options? I googled without success.

I'm pretty freaked out about our depth heading into the season. If we get hit with injuries to position players, we don't have viable replacements at the moment.

According to Link, Kevin Chapman, Chase d'Arnaud, Ian Krol, Jose Ramirez and Chaz Roe.

I could see Krol being used to get some bench help. By all accounts EOF has been much better, Paco looks ready to go and Minter isn't far off.

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

I could see Krol being used to get some bench help. By all accounts EOF has been much better, Paco looks ready to go and Minter isn't far off.

Yeah that makes sense.

Ken Rosenthal just reported the Braves have talked with the Cubs about Matt Szczur. He's out of options but Rosenthal says the Cubs are trying to keep him for now.

Albies left the game today with a knee injury. Snitker doesn't seemed concerned. Snitker said it'll probably be sore tomorrow but better by Thursday. Braves have a rare Spring off day tomorrow.

Falconsfan567 likes this

Braves played the Nat's today. Another solid outing from Folty.

Flowers HR off Gio was the only offense. He was 2 for 4 overall. 

Folty 5 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K

EOF with a perfect inning, 1 K.

Roe gave up 2 runs in an inning. His Spring ERA is now 14.29

Boyer 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 K

Chapman 0.1 IP, 0 H, 1 K.

Falconsfan567 likes this

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

Ken Rosenthal just reported the Braves have talked with the Cubs about Matt Szczur. He's out of options but Rosenthal says the Cubs are trying to keep him for now.

Albies left the game today with a knee injury. Snitker doesn't seemed concerned. Snitker said it'll probably be sore tomorrow but better by Thursday. Braves have a rare Spring off day tomorrow.

Who would the braves trade?

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Matt Szczur would be a great addition as the 4th outfielder. Cubs have a boatload of OF options and I know they want to keep him but Braves should be able to get him without paying too high a price.

50 minutes ago, Nereek said:

Who would the braves trade?

Just somebody that's out of options most likely. All reports are the Braves are looking to swap a guy out of minor league options for another. Szczur would fit that and the need.

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

Just somebody that's out of options most likely. All reports are the Braves are looking to swap a guy out of minor league options for another. Szczur would fit that and the need.

Ian Krol makes sense since the Cubs need bullpen help from the left side. I know they got Mike Montgomery but they lost Travis Wood to the Royals.

Albies was assigned to AAA. It's expected to be a brief stint. Albies seems ready and Coppy said they expect him to be up "soon and for a very long time." After missing the start of camp rehabbing he hit .375 in 11 games with 0 Ks. He also had a .500 OBP in those 11 games.

33 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Albies was assigned to AAA. It's expected to be a brief stint. Albies seems ready and Coppy said they expect him to be up "soon and for a very long time." After missing the start of camp rehabbing he hit .375 in 11 games with 0 Ks. He also had a .500 OBP in those 11 games.

Calling up Albies would allow the Braves to shift Phillips to the bench and improve the bench by giving ups a right handed bat capable of going deep. But we'd still be in trouble with the 4th outfielder. There's no way around it, baring a trade or waiver claim or something, Emilio Bonifacio is gonna be on the roster come opening day.

It sounds like they plan to acquire an OF. Sounds like they're just waiting on teams to make final roster decisions to see who they can get. Unless everybody just keeps the guys Coppy likes I think Bonifacio will be at AAA.

The other thing with Albies is that if the season doesn't start great, he's a guy who will keep fans interested when he debuts.

MLBTR also says the Braves are still in on Jose Quintana. It sounds like Chicago wants to trade him before the start of the season, but I don't see us as a good fit. Plus, their asking price apparently hasn't come down much. They want Houston to give up the #15 and #19 prospects in baseball in a Quintana deal.

6 minutes ago, jidady said:

The other thing with Albies is that if the season doesn't start great, he's a guy who will keep fans interested when he debuts.

MLBTR also says the Braves are still in on Jose Quintana. It sounds like Chicago wants to trade him before the start of the season, but I don't see us as a good fit. Plus, their asking price apparently hasn't come down much. They want Houston to give up the #15 and #19 prospects in baseball in a Quintana deal.

Someone asked DOB about that earlier and he said everyone he's talked to said the Quintana ship has sailed for the Braves. 

jidady likes this

With everyone back from the WBC we get a chance to see what will likely be the Opening Day lineup tonight. Except with Teheran of course.

Falconsfan567 likes this