Unkn0wn

Braves Spring Training

400 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, K26dp said:

Swanson not in the line-up again today. Starting to get a little worried.

I noticed that. It's concerning that he hasn't suited up in over a week.

1 minute ago, K26dp said:

Apparently he's taking ABs in the minor league game.

Alright. That makes me feel a ton better!

I realize it's a Cardinals broadcast but I've been watching it for like 3 minutes and all I've heard is Cardinals, Cardinals, Cardinals! Arr

I love Rio Ruiz's plate patience. That's one thing that has really jumped out to me in the limited time I've seen him play.

1 minute ago, Unkn0wn said:

Snitker has set the rotation. It'll be Teheran, Colon, Garcia, Dickey and Folty. 

I don't like that order. I understand why he went with that order but I'd much rather have Folty's 96 between Colon and Dickey's low 80s.

Absolutely agree with what the Cardinals announcers just said about Maddux and Glavine getting squeezed in the playoffs.

45 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Snitker has set the rotation. It'll be Teheran, Colon, Garcia, Dickey and Folty. 

I'd like have liked to see more competition for that fifth spot. If Wisler doesn't make the team, I wonder if another team tries to trade for him.

26 minutes ago, jidady said:

I'd like have liked to see more competition for that fifth spot. If Wisler doesn't make the team, I wonder if another team tries to trade for him.

This goes against my better judgement but here goes. Spring stats.

Folty

• 4 G, 4 GS, 13 IP, 11 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 HR, 4 BB, 12 SO, 2.08 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, .234 OPP AVG

Wilser

• 4 G, 1 GS, 11 1/3 IP, 12 H, 8 R, 8 ER, 3 HR, 3 BB, 8 SO, 6.35 ERA, 1.32 WHIP, .267 OPP AVG

Blair

• 4 G, 3 GS, 8 2/3 IP, 15 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 1 HR, 4 BB, 9 SO, 6.23 ERA, 2.19 WHIP, .395 OPP AVG

I know you don't like Folty but he earned his spot over Wisler and Blair.

Other than the Chick Fil A nonsense, he absolutely earned his spot. There also wasn't any competition for it. As you point out, the other two guys had ERAs over 6, and Wisler just had to throw four scoreless innings to drop his to that.

To a larger point, we're 230 innings into Folty's career, and we still don't know if he's a starter or reliever. At 25, he's still got time, but I suspect any prolonged struggles this season will seal his fate.

Falconsfan567 likes this

1 hour ago, jidady said:

Other than the Chick Fil A nonsense, he absolutely earned his spot. There also wasn't any competition for it. As you point out, the other two guys had ERAs over 6, and Wisler just had to throw four scoreless innings to drop his to that.

To a larger point, we're 230 innings into Folty's career, and we still don't know if he's a starter or reliever. At 25, he's still got time, but I suspect any prolonged struggles this season will seal his fate.

Well it's nice to see you talking to me again. I have mostly enjoyed talking to you. Gracious.

Folty has always had the stuff but his issue always seemed to be mental. From all reports he seems to have finally gotten the mental side of the game down. We saw signs of him maturing last year but there was still the occasional hiccup. I think you're gonna be pleasantly surprised. I think Folty throws up 200 innings, 200 strikeouts, and a sub 3.5 ERA.

As the #5 to start, the only way he'll get 200 innings is if somebody bombs. Since we have taken some chances with the rotation, I can't rule out that possibility, though. I'd love nothing better than for him to become a stud for us.

And yes, I couldn't remember why I had you on ignore, so I took you off. Let's aspire to get along this season, even when things go rough for the team.

47 minutes ago, jidady said:

As the #5 to start, the only way he'll get 200 innings is if somebody bombs. Since we have taken some chances with the rotation, I can't rule out that possibility, though. I'd love nothing better than for him to become a stud for us.

And yes, I couldn't remember why I had you on ignore, so I took you off. Let's aspire to get along this season, even when things go rough for the team.

If he makes 30 starts, he'd have to average 6 2/3 IP to reach the 200 innings mark. I don't think the Braves will close the season with the same starting 5 in the rotation that we'll have come opening day. In a perfect world we're able to move one or two of the guys at the deadline. Also, with Colon and Dickey both being on the older side they will be given more rest at different points in the season. So Folty could get 32 or 33 starts. Then that ends up being 6 or 6 1/3 IP per outing. If he pitches like I think he will this season then he's fully capable of reaching that mark on average and reaching 200 innings for the season.

Wisler is a good depth peice. I would much rather call him up from AAA instead of Roberto Hernandez or some other veteran nobody wants. Plus the extra time at AAA might help him develop some more. Blair definitely needs the time to keep mastering his new slider.

Falconsfan567 likes this

Luke Jackson assigned to AAA this morning. Leaves Boyer, EOF and Roe in the bullpen battle.

Bowman says the Braves are likely going to fill the bench with a trade. He says it could be a swap of guys out of options.

22 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I thought Chip and Joe were going to be doing this game today? Guess they're never gonna get off their lazy *****!

Somebody asked Chip about this on Twitter. He said Fox changed the system. Him and Joe only report to camp when they're told to by Fox. He said he doesn't know why Fox isn't letting them call the games yet. He did assure everyone that he'll be on the call for 159 games this season.

Falconsfan567 likes this

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

Luke Jackson assigned to AAA this morning. Leaves Boyer, EOF and Roe in the bullpen battle.

Bowman says the Braves are likely going to fill the bench with a trade. He says it could be a swap of guys out of options.

Can someone list which of our players are out of options? I googled without success.

I'm pretty freaked out about our depth heading into the season. If we get hit with injuries to position players, we don't have viable replacements at the moment.

I know Roe is out of options. I think Boyer is too. Those are two guys we could swap to a team looking for some bullpen depth.