What Beer to Drink this weekend

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TheUsualStuff said:

Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale and their IPA are good, but only if you like those very strong hoppy beers. You need to be an IPA fan to enjoy either of those.

If not, Sweetwater Blue may be more for your tastes. All three are light in color, but the Blue is a bit lighter on the taste buds.

If anyone is interested in Monday Night Brewing Company... Drafty Kilt Scottish Ale is a very dark option but its not really as heavy as a Guiness..surprisingly smooth.

If that's not your thing, Fu ManBrew is more of a Belgian white similar to a Blue Moon.

Nerd Alert is more of a traditional Pilsner,

Awesome thanks

2 minutes ago, GATXBOI said:

I haven't advanced in my beer drinking yet... only 28 but I like bud light platinum... any recommendations on a nice ale for a first timer.

There are all kinds of "ales."  German, Belgian, American..? Black, IPA, Stout..? Pale, Dark, Bitter..?  Ale and Lager are the two most basic types of beer.  From there you have to narrow down to style and region.

My recommendations:

New Beligium Fat Tire is easy to find, reasonable in price and pretty well done.  It's an American style ale (despite the brewery name).

Chimay has three (I think) that are color coded: Blue (Belgiian Dark Ale), Red (Belgian Dubbel), and White (Belgian Tripel).  I've seen the Blue at Costco before.. haven't had luck finding them in the grocery, but even modest liquor stores should have all three.

There's also Newcastle (English Brown Ale) which is readily available at any grocery, but comes in clear glass which isn't the best for preserving the beer; in other words you may wind up with skunked bottles.  Samuel Smiths Nut Brown is FANTASTIC, but is hit or miss at the grocery and is more expensive.  You can find it at any decent liquor store.

Then there are the German dunkels, hefes, and weisbeers.  I'm not as boned up on those and don't have any particular recommendations other than the Gordon Biersch Marzen which I do really like.  I've never seen that in a grocery or liquor store though.

15 minutes ago, GATXBOI said:

I haven't advanced in my beer drinking yet... only 28 but I like bud light platinum... any recommendations on a nice ale for a first timer.

And for the record, Bud Light Platinum is considered a Lager though there are many that wouldn't classify it as any kind of "beer" at all.  It's pretty terrible. ;)