C'mon, admit it: Nobody's really pumped up to watch these Falcons in the Super Bowl

Ergo Proxy

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cmon-admit-it-nobodys-really-pumped-up-to-watch-these-falcons-in-the-super-bowl/

C'mon, admit it: Nobody's really pumped up to watch these Falcons in the Super Bowl

By Bill Reiter

9h ago • 3 min read

HOUSTON -- The Patriots might have Deflategate, Roger Goodell and revenge on their minds as they prepare for Super Bowl LI. But they've hardly cornered the market on bringing a chip on the shoulder to the big game.

It might be true that Goodell would rather not see the Patriots here this week. But it's also true almost no one else -- sorry, Atlanta fans -- is burning to have the Falcons up against them.

This is not a knock on Atlanta. If anything, it's a knock on me -- and you -- for not seeing earlier, embracing now and getting fired up by Sunday for a Falcons team that is a force on offense and an absolutely worthy contender as the game's best football team.

And yet ... I can't. Can you? They sure can't here in Houston. And while the Falcons are clearly aware and channeling that grudge, it still makes them more blasé than captivating.

The buzz here for the NFC's champion remains painfully far from robust. At Opening Night, the vibe Monday during the Falcons' session was utterly flat. And the team, following suit, was every bit as boring and low-key as you would expect from a group that all season has been overlooked, underappreciated and -- even now -- mostly an afterthought.

There are several reasons for that. The Patriots are an amazing story -- the dynasty implications, the Goodell-Deflategate storyline, Tom Brady trying to win a fifth Super Bowl ring, never done by a quarterback, and even Bill Belichick and his growing mastery over the game.

But some of this has to do with a Falcons team that despite its high-powered offense is neither particularly interesting nor widely respected. Quarterback Matt Ryan -- the front-runner for this season's MVP -- perfectly encapsulates all of this.

Ryan has been in the league for nine seasons and over that time he has put together a Hall of Fame résumé. He is already 21st all-time in passing yards, 25th all-time in touchdown passes, 11th all-time in passer rating and 12th all-time in game-winning drives.

Add a Super Bowl win to that and he's a Hall of Fame player, period.

"I feel like he doesn't get enough credit because he hasn't won it yet, and I feel like that's just how it goes," Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce told me Tuesday. "This is his first time in the dance, with the success you get I feel like that's where your QB rankings go."

Even this season, as we've obsessed over Dak Prescott and Aaron Rodgers and Brady and Ben Roethlisberger, many of us have missed Ryan's extraordinary season.

He had 4,944 passing yards, second to Drew Brees by just 264 yards. But Ryan had 139 fewer attempts -- making him markedly more efficient. He averaged 9.3 yards per attempt, a full yard better than the next closest QB, Brady. He had 39 touchdowns, second only to Rodgers' 40.

His 117.1 QB rating was the best in the league, five points better than Rodgers.

And yet, at Monday night's televised circus of a media day, they threw this man on the stage with his opponent, Brady, and made him stand there awkwardly as the New England quarterback was asked what advice he had for Ryan.

Ugh.

"Matt doesn't need my advice," Brady said. "He's doing just fine by himself."

Nor, it turns out, does he need our respect. Nobody really wants his team here, but the Falcons couldn't care less. Few saw it coming, yet here they are. Most people think the Patriots are more or less a sure thing -- almost 70 percent of the betting public is putting its money down on the Patriots, even though they're three-point favorites.

Matty Ice might be boring, his Falcons not interesting and Atlanta utterly underwhelming here at sports' biggest event.

But that might not stop them from winning it all, and from Ryan quietly putting himself into sure-thing Hall of Fame territory.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, even the writer makes it out as though Falcons fans aren't reading his content.

This guy was the same dude begging for Aaron Rodgers to get season MVP the week of the NFCCG because his 8 game hot streak made him somehow equal to legendary "calling his shot" blah blah. (even though he didn't and Ryan is best QB this year period)

This is the exact sort of article that's so conceited and myopic in nature due to failing to truly realize they just don't care enough about football and have to write to people that don't care about hyping up a team that is playing dominant football at the right time of the year at the highest level all because of the labels attached from the past by everyone the media caters to. This is exactly why most sports outlets such as the obvious ESPN fell out of my cup of care well over a decade ago.

Let me ask you: When the Rams offense was carving up defenses did no one want to see them but Rams fans? When the Panthers had an amazing 2003 run with Jake Delhommie was it really only because the storyline was "easy" about a no name guy suddenly doing things?

Its like everyone is so warped as to what is worth cheering for if we can't sensationalize a teams character move along?

19 minutes ago, slimjim said:

There are several reasons for that. The Patriots are an amazing story -- the dynasty implications, the Goodell-Deflategate storyline, Tom Brady trying to win a fifth Super Bowl ring, never done by a quarterback, and even Bill Belichick and his growing mastery over the game.

So amazing...from what I've been hearing, some of their fans aren't even really excited, and feel like it's just another game.  Apparently, some of them have deluded themselves into thinking they just win it all every year.

I'm guessing that going 1-3 in Super Bowls over the last decade might sink in a bit more if that happens.

If anyone isn't excited to watch us play, they haven't seen this offense.

Remember when Max Kellerman said Seattle was going to beat us in the divisional? Two days later, dude's first segment is him worshipping our offense. Even Rich Eisen said he would've voted for Ryan MVP if he would've paid more attention. Everyone was looking forward to Denver vs Seattle and it was terrible. Everyone was looking forward to Denver vs Carolina and it was terrible.

I don't think people understand how great of a game this will be. They'll never call us 'boring' again after this.

9 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

So amazing...from what I've been hearing, some of their fans aren't even really excited, and feel like it's just another game.  Apparently, some of them have deluded themselves into thinking they just win it all every year.

I'm guessing that going 1-3 in Super Bowls over the last decade might sink in a bit more if that happens.

Sort of how some of their sad trolls gracing us with their sad arguments can't even comprehend their defense hasn't played hardly anyone AND adjusted defenses played shows Atlanta played tougher overall defenses for their schedule (which was a much harder schedule) this year and is the proven unit between ATL offense vs NE defense.

They can't do anything but use surface defensive ratings and hate it when context using metrics favors Atlanta in reality but stick with their elementary checkers because chess must be too hard. Lol. Why try to troll hard when you can be uneducated? I stopped wasting my time with them but like to laugh at articles like this every now and then as a reminder all the Falcons really do have to do is win for themselves. Joy is an inside job.

I think the media finds the Falcons boring because they actually do their job instead of grabbing for headlines.

Ryan is focused on delivering a championship while the talk of the SB is Brady getting revenge on Commissioner Goodell for deflate-gate.

Julio is focused on delivering a championship while the talk has been Odell Beckham partying on a boat in Miami and Antonio Brown's infatuation with putting locker-room content on Facebook Live.

Arthur Blank was just enjoying the fun ride of his team's success over the season while Jerry Jones continued to stir the pot of a QB controversy while there really wasn't one.

The Falcons have just done their jobs and are now setup for a chance to win it all with really no distractions. The Falcons don't care about the spotlight and opinions. All they want to do is win.

I don't ever get pumped up for a football game unless the Falcons are playing in it.  Even Bears games are meh to me, though they make it easy to feel that way.  This may be hard to suggest in the current sports environment, but money, glitz and glam don't always dictate success when it comes to competition.  If the NFL fixed games in order to generate the most views and money, then there would be no point in competing to see who the best is in a given season.  I haven't watched the last 3 superbowls at all and I know I'm not the only one.  

The other side of this I think is that this season saw a sizable drop in viewership across the board so the NFL media is trying to pump this game up as much as possible.  Makes sense but there are more team based fans around the NFL then there are pure football fans.

I'm going to use a word here that is definitely overused, but not everything has to be EPIC all the time.  The word loses it's meaning in consistency.  As a Falcons fan I couldn't care less what the outside public or media plebs think about this team or it's players or their lacking of anything.  What's important to me is they are in the biggest game of the season with a very good shot at winning it.  For every fan of the two teams that meet in a superbowl I bet there's at least 50 fans from every other team that stopped watching games a month ago.

Panache and pomp are for the uninitiated.  So maybe the real story here is that the Superbowl doesn't hold that much attention as it once used to, but that's a whole other discussion.  

4 minutes ago, slimjim said:

Sort of how some of their sad trolls gracing us with their sad arguments can't even comprehend their defense hasn't played hardly anyone AND adjusted defenses played shows Atlanta played tougher overall defenses for their schedule (which was a much harder schedule) this year and is the proven unit between ATL offense vs NE defense.

They can't do anything but use surface defensive ratings and hate it when context using metrics favors Atlanta in reality but stick with their elementary checkers because chess must be too hard. Lol. Why try to troll hard when you can be uneducated? I stopped wasting my time with them but like the laugh at articles like this every now and then as a reminder all the Falcons really do have to do is win for themselves.

I don't pay them much attention, but have to laugh when I've seen that this game is a "formality" for them (seen more than once).  

You have as many rings as the Saints over the past decade.

Only an Atlanta team could have one of the most prolific offenses of all time, an MVP and still receive such a collective yawn from the national following :rolleyes: 

I swear some it's like we exist these just to be on the butt end of their apathy.

1 hour ago, Atlfanstckndenver said:

It's actually a pretty good read overall.  The part about the Falcons and their horribly ugly boring ways was pretty funny but in the end it's just reporting on what he thinks is the overall vibe between the two teams. 70 percent of the betting public is a telling majority if accurate. 

Yeah, I enjoyed reading it but I didn't like this guys taste just the other week touting Rodgers way ahead of Ryan for MVP (saying it wasn't even close) and he wants to say he was wrong indirectly here (saving his pride or ego or whatever) by saying hey you guys were wrong too lets have a laugh (but we'll cry in secret as we could've had more hype had we given Atlanta attention) which is basically only a self-admission and he casts his stance since it's naturally the majority as if it's only possible to think his way outside of Atlanta. 

A majority like that doesn't really surprise me. Does that mean 30% remaining bets are Falcons fans or GA residents etc? Of course not!

:lol: Seriously just substitute the A-T-L for CHI, NY, LA, DAL GB etc but give them the exact same, roster, coaching staff and philosophy and paired with the history New England can make its easily one of the most anticipated games EVER. But it's the Falcons so it's just whatever meh <_<

The old sports adages and rules of thumb on how teams with the sexy offense gets the largest bandwagons ("chicks dig the long ball")  suddenly don't apply any more if it's us. Somehow we're boring with our All pro QB/WR and 30+ points a game :rolleyes: 

I heard on 92.9 late yesterday that the money in Vegas is 2.5 to 1; Patriots to Falcons, all while the Patriots are a 3 point favorite.  I just laughed...

He went on to say he expects the trend to continue until Saturday when the line will go up to 3.5 points in order to generate money on the Falcons; it is then expected a large amount will go on Falcons and within half a day or so the line will drop back to 3.

Confirmation of the uneducated masses in yet another way.

So, Hype in this context regarding the Falcons for the national media is basically waiting on the (insert Atlanta team) to fail or give up a lead / blow an important win to get the media spouting their fake "oh here we go again it's Atlanta after all 'buzz' on" lol.

Thats the only way pleasure is derived from the stigma that people have on this city.

Well, I for one can't wait to get a shot at having a title and no longer having to laugh without a trophy to feel good about. That's the one thing that does matter. That's why this game matters. Plus, you can't say the Falcons cheated their way to a Super Bowl either. We straight up dumpstered each round so far and I'm ready for Atlanta to show the world what the Patriots ought to know already having prepped for the game.

It is kind of symbolic that this is going to be the third straight playoff game where the Falcons are going up against an opposing quarterback with a glamourous celebrity wife or girlfriend.

The popular mass-produced culture makes movies and stories about the earnest and dedicated underdog against the favored and established opponent, but when it happens in real life they do not know what to make of it.

Edited by Doctor Kildare

2 hours ago, m2Falcons said:

I heard on 92.9 late yesterday that the money in Vegas is 2.5 to 1; Patriots to Falcons, all while the Patriots are a 3 point favorite.  I just laughed...

He went on to say he expects the trend to continue until Saturday when the line will go up to 3.5 points in order to generate money on the Falcons; it is then expected a large amount will go on Falcons and within half a day or so the line will drop back to 3.

Confirmation of the uneducated masses in yet another way.

I heard that even with 70% or so of the betters on the patriots, the falcons had around 50% of the money - so, people betting falcons betting more than twice what those betting on the Pats are. Don't know the truth to it, maybe I heard it wrong.

Yeah here's the quote.

"Right now -3 is a really good number for us," he said. "Each time we've gone to Falcons +3 EVEN we've got immediate sharp action on them. The public is on the Patriots and the sharps are on the Falcons."

The public is still bringing in more cash than the sharps as the Westgate has 58 percent of their action on the Patriots. Sharps are wise people, so I asked Sherman why they wouldn't wait for the public to force the sports books to move +3.5, because without those large Atlanta bets the spread might already be at 3.5.

"They're too quick on anything they perceive of value and +3 EVEN is attractive to them. Ed (Salmons, SuperBook manager) thinks it's more likely to move to -2.5 before -3.5. I thought 3 was the right number from the start and I still feel that way," added Sherman.

Sherman said they've seen about 10 percent of their overall expected Super Bowl action, so things could flip rapidly just like last season when the books all needed Denver big with three days of betting remaining only to see some need Carolina by kickoff.

The only move on the Vegas board Monday was the South Point dropping their total from 59.5 back to 59 like all the other books. Sherman says the Westgate has a 2-to-1 ratio to the ‘over’ with a few large bets from sharp bettors on the ‘under’ keeping them at that 2-to-1 ratio.

"The correlation we're seeing is the public betting New England and Over while sharps are on Atlanta and Under," Sherman said.

16 minutes ago, kschreck said:

As someone who is not just a Falcons fan but also a football fan, how is a top 10 all time offense and a young fast defense that knocks the crap out of people boring?

And if Ryan hadn't sat out multiple 4th Quarters with huge leads he would have easily passed 5000 yards, etc. etc.

The defense would have played a tighter in many 4th Quarters in closer games; hence given up fewer points and yards over the full season.  (Even Brady indirectly acknowledged this reality in an interview a few days ago when he said it was really difficult to indentify a lot of our defensive tendencies because our defense was so often on the field with BIG leads)

•But the mass of lemmings out there just ignore things like that....

4 hours ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

I think the media finds the Falcons boring because they actually do their job instead of grabbing for headlines.

Ryan is focused on delivering a championship while the talk of the SB is Brady getting revenge on Commissioner Goodell for deflate-gate.

Julio is focused on delivering a championship while the talk has been Odell Beckham partying on a boat in Miami and Antonio Brown's infatuation with putting locker-room content on Facebook Live.

Arthur Blank was just enjoying the fun ride of his team's success over the season while Jerry Jones continued to stir the pot of a QB controversy while there really wasn't one.

The Falcons have just done their jobs and are now setup for a chance to win it all with really no distractions. The Falcons don't care about the spotlight and opinions. All they want to do is win.

Media is slanted towards The NYC, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, and California...Those are media hubs.. This will not change.

It's an arrogance. And they report as if nobody should notice it..

....and the lack of respect and focus is good for this team.

Win.