A Primer on Polarization in American Politics.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Worzone said:

No you basically said you only want liberals and conservatives who are willing to compromise their morals to fit your beliefs 

Nope. Not at all. 

I didn't "basically say" anything. I said explicitly that there are things that stand in the way of productive conversations. 

Also, I just pulled the American National Election Studies dataset and examined views on abortion by ideology and information.  The results are not what most people would expect:

There were four options, but I condensed them into two categories.  People who say that abortion should never be permitted or permitted only in cases of rape, incest, or life of the mother.  The other category is people who say that abortion should be legal if there is a clear need or should be a matter of personal choice (abortion on demand).  Here are the results:

Low informed/aware (% abortion permitted)

Liberals: 69% || Conservatives: 44%

High informed/aware (% abortion permitted)

Liberals: 91% || Conservatives: 38%

So even a lot of conservatives support legal abortion.  It doesn't matter whether you agree or disagrees with their view, the point is that even on abortion there is a lot more overlap between the two ideological sides than people seem to realize.

Edit: Sorry, I flipped the numbers for conservatives.  Updated for accuracy.

Also, for some of the strongest evidence about how little polarization there is among the majority of Americans, Morris Fiorina has a fantastic little book titled "Culture Wars?"  It's a short little book that you can find used on Amazon for a few bucks and really hammers home the empirical reality that the public is not deeply divided over most issues, even the "culture wars" issues that people think are the most divisive.

Also, looking back over the abortion numbers, it's important to note that there are a lot of people who call themselves liberals who support tight restrictions on abortions.  It's only the high aware group of self-described liberals that strongly supports legal abortion in most instances, and that's a small minority of the country.  Neither side has a lock on that issue and there's a lot more overlap than people seem to think.

Just now, Serge said:

We might have one of the lowest abortion rates in the world if we ever decided on universal, comprehensive sex education. It's already lower than many nations where it's illegal, not to mention safer, although I realize that isn't everyone's top priority. 

Not interested in a debate about people's opinions on these issues.  The point is that there are not many Americans who support completely legalized abortion nor completely banned abortions.  Even on this most contentious issue, there's not a lot of polarization.

27 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Not interested in a debate about people's opinions on these issues.  The point is that there are not many Americans who support completely legalized abortion nor completely banned abortions.  Even on this most contentious issue, there's not a lot of polarization.

I didn't mean to intrude too much, just wanted to point out that Worzone's idea of "objective right and wrong" is terribly myopic. 

21 minutes ago, Serge said:

I didn't mean to intrude too much, just wanted to point out that Worzone's idea of "objective right and wrong" is terribly myopic. 

Pretty much. 

I'm not a hardcore moral relativist (i tend to lean toward moral realism) but the simplified notions of "objective right and wrong" presented ITT are unsupportable. 

15 minutes ago, Worzone said:

Psalm 1:4 The ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff which the wind driveth away

Moral realitivism is not in line with Christianity's doctrine. Moral relativism is how you get christians or anyone else oking slavery, an entire nation exterminating 1 group of people, blaming women for being raped, and anything else. Moral releavitism is what i rarely use to describe anything because it is usually detrimental to discussions.  It is stupid and dangerous.

There is a fundamental problem with your position. 

Tells HMFIC...

6 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

The continued personal attacks about the length of the posts or posting of nonsense like "blah blah blah" or really anything else is unacceptable. 

His response to me after not liking my liberal critique ...

1 hour ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

blah blah blah

Just now, Worzone said:

Oh I'm under no delusion all conservatives are good people. Westboro is more a cult of like 40 people. Than a representation of conservatives.  In fact i dont know a single christian, protestant,catholic, conservative, republican, constitutionalist, tea party, and so forth that supports or accepts their behavior. 

In your opinion, am I going to hell for killing men? What does the Bible say about war?