Jump to content

Kyle Shanahan has his GM


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, ashley76 said:

this looks like a train wreck waiting to happen.  I sure hope Kyle knows exactly what he is doing.  He is leaving a sure thing for a circus...

Working for the 49ers really isn't the worst thing. Their roster really isn't as bad as some here are making it out to be. A QB with the skill level of Cousins could help turn that offense into a top 10 unit without changing any other personnel. They have a decent WR group, a solid RB group, good TEs, and their OL isn't terrible. They were in many of the games they played. They actually had a top 10 rushing unit. I can only remember us, the Saints, and New England blowing them out

All they really need to do is what we did--devote most of their draft picks to shoring up their defense and they'll be fine, well, besides getting a good QB (which I wouldn't spend a high pick on in this draft).

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Most of us weren't thrilled with Quinn/Kyle getting hired--especially Kyle.

Big difference in hiring a Super Bowl DC and an up and coming OC, to hiring a guy with no experience as a GM. Not to mention Falcons ownership is much more respected,than the Niners. Point being is that fan base isn't gonna be very forgiving or patience, they aren't happy with conference or division championships. Got to make 2012 seem light years away from now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The 9ers are a dumpster fire of an organization at this point.  If Kyle wanted a GM to come in and answer directly to him, then he may have scarred off potential candidates with experience.  Who knows, maybe John Lynch will succeed despite having no experience in the front office of an NFL team.  

But this move makes me think Kyle isn't ready.  He was a better playcaller from the booth, and he now has to run a whole team from the sideline and basically make player personnel decisions as well?  What experience will he lean on?  Maybe the arrogant thing was right, time will tell.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, putnam6 said:

Big difference in hiring a Super Bowl DC and an up and coming OC, to hiring a guy with no experience as a GM. Not to mention Falcons ownership is much more respected,than the Niners. Point being is that fan base isn't gonna be very forgiving or patience, they aren't happy with conference or division championships. Got to make 2012 seem light years away from now.

It really doesn't matter. That franchise is in no danger of leaving the Bay Area. The fans ain't going nowhere. After going 6-26 the last two seasons, they'll be happy just to get back to winning football.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Return of the Gaucho said:

The 9ers are a dumpster fire of an organization at this point.  If Kyle wanted a GM to come in and answer directly to him, then he may have scarred off potential candidates with experience.  Who knows, maybe John Lynch will succeed despite having no experience in the front office of an NFL team.  

But this move makes me think Kyle isn't ready.  He was a better playcaller from the booth, and he now has to run a whole team from the sideline and basically make player personnel decisions as well?  What experience will he lean on?  Maybe the arrogant thing was right, time will tell.  

Who said that was gonna happen?

The only way I see Kyle having input in personnel decisions is in much of the same capacity as Dan Quinn here. The good thing with Kyle is that he knows what he wants and he won't beat around the bush. Lynch may not have any executive experience, but at least he brings his experience as a player to the table. I know not all players make good managers, but some actually do turn out to be good evaluators of talent. He'll probably defer the financial stuff to his staff.

I think Kyle is smart enough to know what a good working relationship between coach and FO looks like having worked for the Falcons and the 49ers of old with DeBartolo and Walsh. I'd hope for his sake he's also learned what a good working relationship between coach and players looks like from the past two seasons with us. The examples have been set for him--he just has to apply that example to his own experience as HC.

Edited by JerseyNo12
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Who said that was gonna happen?

The only way I see Kyle having input in personnel decisions is in much of the same capacity as Dan Quinn here. The good thing with Kyle is that he knows what he wants and he won't beat around the bush. Lynch may not have any executive experience, but at least he brings his experience as a player to the table. I know not all players make good managers, but some actually do turn out to be good evaluators of talent. He'll probably defer the financial stuff to his staff.

I think Kyle is smart enough to know what a good working relationship between coach and FO looks like having worked for the Falcons and the 49ers of old with DeBartolo and Walsh. I'd hope for his sake he's also learned what a good working relationship between coach and players looks like from the past two seasons with us. The examples have been set for him--he just has to apply that example to his own experience as HC.

 

Maybe that could happen, but the odds are more in favor if Lynch being like the last guy to go from the league, to the booth, to the front office.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though the Niners are officially no longer division rivals, it's still fun to watch them burn to the ground with Jed York as the owner.

 

Despite Jim Harbaugh being labeled as many things, he was still a very good coach. I honestly believe that he will have major success if/when he returns to the NFL under a GM and owner that will be willing to work with him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Working for the 49ers really isn't the worst thing. Their roster really isn't as bad as some here are making it out to be. A QB with the skill level of Cousins could help turn that offense into a top 10 unit without changing any other personnel. They have a decent WR group, a solid RB group, good TEs, and their OL isn't terrible. They were in many of the games they played. They actually had a top 10 rushing unit. I can only remember us, the Saints, and New England blowing them out

All they really need to do is what we did--devote most of their draft picks to shoring up their defense and they'll be fine, well, besides getting a good QB (which I wouldn't spend a high pick on in this draft).

Your tripping, that team is garbage. Bottom 3 roster in the league. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Working for the 49ers really isn't the worst thing. Their roster really isn't as bad as some here are making it out to be. A QB with the skill level of Cousins could help turn that offense into a top 10 unit without changing any other personnel. They have a decent WR group, a solid RB group, good TEs, and their OL isn't terrible. They were in many of the games they played. They actually had a top 10 rushing unit. I can only remember us, the Saints, and New England blowing them out

All they really need to do is what we did--devote most of their draft picks to shoring up their defense and they'll be fine, well, besides getting a good QB (which I wouldn't spend a high pick on in this draft).

The 49ers defense is in shambles. They gave up a franchise record for yards and points allowed in 2016. Their offense wasn't that bad.

If I'm Kyle, I try to sign Kirk Cousins as my immediate starter and then draft Davis Webb, and develop him as my long-term starter. Davis Webb has all the talent in the world and with the kind of coaching he could get from Kyle, I think he could be a great NFL QB. The other thing about Webb is that he can be had in about the 3rd round, so there would be good value there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JerseyNo12 said:

It really doesn't matter. That franchise is in no danger of leaving the Bay Area. The fans ain't going nowhere. After going 6-26 the last two seasons, they'll be happy just to get back to winning football.

Niners were never leaving the Bay area, and no the fans won't be happy with 8-8 and 9-7 over and over. Otherwise an NFC championship would have satisfied them for a couple of years. One reason the ownership- is throwing around long term high $ contracts for a head coach and GM is they are losing fans at Levi Stadium in droves. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, putnam6 said:

Niners were never leaving the Bay area, and no the fans won't be happy with 8-8 and 9-7 over and over. Otherwise an NFC championship would have satisfied them for a couple of years. One reason the ownership- is throwing around long term high $ contracts for a head coach and GM is they are losing fans at Levi Stadium in droves. 

It wasn't the fans that were upset with losing the Super Bowl. It was the idiot Yorks that had a problem with it. The Yorks are a walking train wreck and have been ever since they took over that franchise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Sources: 49ers to hire John Lynch as new GM on 6-year deal

  • Adam Schefter ESPN Senior Writer

The San Francisco 49ers have hired Hall of Fame candidate and FOX analyst John Lynch to be their new general manager, the team announced Sunday night.

  •  

Sources tell ESPN the deal is for an almost unprecedented six years.

Less than a week before he is eligible to be voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, the former Stanford standout is returning to the Bay Area.

As the 49ers are signing Lynch to a six-year contract, the plan is to offer Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan a six-year contract, according to league sources. The 49ers' idea always was to have the head coach and general manager jobs tied together in terms of length of contract.

Lynch spent Thursday and Friday meeting with San Francisco officials. He spent Thursday night at 49ers owner Jed York's house, before the team flew him back to San Diego on Friday night so he could attend a family function.

Lynch accepted the job on Sunday.

Lynch has no front-office experience but has been connected to front-office jobs in the past. Some in Denver thought he could have been a candidate to replace John Elway one day, though that day never materialized.

The idea to hire Lynch was his own. He personally called Shanahan and volunteered for the job about a week ago.

Shanahan, expected to be named the Niners' head coach after the Super Bowl, thought about Lynch, and the more he thought about it, the more he felt Lynch was a fit for the job. Lynch played for Shanahan's father, Mike, in Denver.

The 49ers confirmed that they had interviews with nine general manager candidates after firing Trent Baalke on Jan. 1, none of which were with Lynch. They narrowed that group down to four, and it then came down to two, after Green Bay Packers executives Brian Gutekunst and Eliot Wolf removed themselves from consideration.

From there, York and executive Paraag Marathe had second interviews with Arizona Cardinals vice president of player personnel Terry McDonough and Minnesota Vikings assistant general manager George Paton over the weekend.

Throughout the process, the Niners acknowledged that they would keep an open mind, but their primary goal was to find someone who could work in lockstep with Shanahan.

"We need to make sure that the head coach and the general manager know each other, have a good understanding for each other," York said at the beginning of the process. "It doesn't mean that they had to have worked together in the past, but they have to have a good respect for each other and a good understanding and know that they have similar visions and philosophies on building a football team."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18581720/san-francisco-49ers-name-john-lynch-general-manager

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

It wasn't the fans that were upset with losing the Super Bowl. It was the idiot Yorks that had a problem with it. The Yorks are a walking train wreck and have been ever since they took over that franchise.

Fans were pissed at the Yorks for the the Harbaugh fiasco after losing the Super Bowl,more specifically. The base isn't gonna be happy with anything the Yorks do,especially hiring a no experience GM candidate. Point is it isn't the best situation, thus the unprecedented contracts. Its good money and years to offset, the crappy situation. After 3 years anything less than drilling the Seahawks consistently and winning the division, making a Super Bowl run will just stoke the fan's base ire. 

I want Shanny to do well just isn't going to be easy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Dimitroff had a career as a scout and working in front offices. Lynch is the third tier color commentary guy on Fox who tends to get things wrong often.

Well, as a commentator - he's had access to the GM's and Coaching staff of every team they've covered.   Been in their facilities, discussed schemes and strategies and has probably gained a lot of insight to those teams - including the Seahawks, Rams and Cardinals and to their core players as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...