Jump to content

Julio Jones trade made Falcons great, but staying put could've turned out even better


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In hindsight, the trade was a no brainer. Would you trade 2 late firsts, a 2nd, and 2 fourths for a 13 year All Pro potential hall of fame WR with no character concerns? 

If you wouldn't, then you are an idiot. They got the 22, 27, 59, 118, and 124 picks over 2 drafts. Finding an All Pro at any of those picks is HIGHLY unlikely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pzummo said:

In hindsight, the trade was a no brainer. Would you trade 2 late firsts, a 2nd, and 2 fourths for a 13 year All Pro potential hall of fame WR with no character concerns? 

If you wouldn't, then you are an idiot. They got the 22, 27, 59, 118, and 124 picks over 2 drafts. Finding an All Pro at any of those picks is HIGHLY unlikely.

Not just All-Pro. If you asked teams if they would trade their entire draft for one HOFer, 99% would do it in a heartbeat.

The 1% is the Browns 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Reggie_Kelly said:

So a wide receiver is worth 4 draft picks now? The team lost 24-2 in the playoffs with Matt Ryan getting pressured constantly.. and you call that a deep team. Yea ok. 

 

"A wide receiver"

You make Julio sound like Jeremy Kerley. As my least favourite poster on these boards, please respond with something thought-provoking, or at least somewhat entertaining or else this convo is likely over.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NeonDeion said:

Decent read actually. But Julio is now Super Bowl bound and should've been in 2012.

And without losing, we never get Dan Quinn....or Beasley....or Matthews for that matter.

So getting Julio and then losing for a few seasons was a win-win-win

PS this is a win for the tankers myself included. Losing those extra games got us 2 top 10 picks (of course the team never tried to tank)

Remember when we got Julio this team was still a run first offense.

Matt Ryan was also having to change his early career record of being a 'game manager' to a legit stud NFL QB as a passer. The fact this team had weaknesses along the OL for a long time and survived the sad demise of Michael Turner; who lost his place and identity on the roster, and then you had no identity of a ground game until Freeman's break out year last season it's no wonder the offense took a while to re-balance. It's also a large part of the reason the Falcons couldn't close the NFCCG vs the 49ers due to a poor rushing offense and very poor rush defense and inability to cover TEs.

Now this year with Mack completing the OL overhaul, Matthews/Schraeder being veteran staples at OT now with a couple critical OG signings / trades in Levitre/Chester, plus the schemes working under Quinn you have a reliable ground game, actual weapons out of the backfield with Freeman/Coleman that consistently compliment one another. It's no wonder this offense finally took off. Pieces finally fell in place in all areas instead of being an all run first or pass first offense prior to Mike Smith's departure. This was one reason Atlanta never dominated the scoreboard until this year because it was hard to keeps teams down without a defense even capable of complimenting the offense's production. This years defense; while it took a while, has come into it's own as one capable of helping the next level this offense has reached in terms of putting games away. I'm looking at you NFCG 2012.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Reggie_Kelly said:

How would anyone know that? Julio had never played a down in the NFL. If he wasn't so awesome then what? 

You don't , that's the point. You wait before you judge. Which is why you trust your FO to make decisions that will make the team better. Julio is the best Wide Receiver in the league. It's hypocritical to say that the additional draft picks would have made us a better team more than Julio has, with ZERO evidence to back it up. 

Edited by Sidecar Falcon
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Reggie_Kelly said:

How would anyone know that? Julio had never played a down in the NFL. If he wasn't so awesome then what? 

I said "in hindsight". If he wasn't so awesome, then it wouldn't have been a smart move. You can stay put and make a smart or stupid move, but nobody knows until 3+ years later. 

And now we know. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Who wants to trade JJ with AB straight up....

"crickets"  thought so  :D

In all seriousness...my vote goes to JJ as the top WR in the NFl regardless of what he does in the SB....no arguments.

AB and OBJ are top 5 in my opinion but JJ deserves the #1 ranking...forget stats which can be agenda driven. 

Is AB a diva?.......yep but he does work his a$$ off.

I cant really answer where he stands with his FB live chit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, slimjim said:

Remember when we got Julio this team was still a run first offense.

Matt Ryan was also having to change his early career record of being a 'game manager' to a legit stud NFL QB as a passer. The fact this team had weaknesses along the OL for a long time and survived the sad demise of Michael Turner; who lost his place and identity on the roster, and then you had no identity of a ground game until Freeman's break out year last season it's no wonder the offense took a while to re-balance. It's also a large part of the reason the Falcons couldn't close the NFCCG vs the 49ers due to a poor rushing offense and very poor rush defense and inability to cover TEs.

Now this year with Mack completing the OL overhaul, Matthews/Schraeder being veteran staples at OT now with a couple critical OG signings / trades in Levitre/Chester, plus the schemes working under Quinn you have a reliable ground game, actual weapons out of the backfield with Freeman/Coleman that consistently compliment one another. It's no wonder this offense finally took off. Pieces finally fell in place in all areas instead of being an all run first or pass first offense prior to Mike Smith's departure. This was one reason Atlanta never dominated the scoreboard until this year because it was hard to keeps teams down without a defense even capable of complimenting the offense's production. This years defense; while it took a while, has come into it's own as one capable of helping the next level this offense has reached in terms of putting games away. I'm looking at you NFCG 2012.

Agree with everything you said. How does this have anything to do with the Julio trade? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hjerry said:

This concept as been done before on this board with some of our less intelligent posters, and it's just as stupid and asinine here.

Anyone can go through a draft with 20/20 hindsight and pick out the most successful players, while paying no mind to scheme fit, coaching, or likelihood of being drafted by us.

Only an imbecile would do so though.

I can't count how many times I've seen this same thing written on here and its so stupid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Reggie_Kelly said:

How would anyone know that? Julio had never played a down in the NFL. If he wasn't so awesome then what? 

 

Criticism of Julio Trade:  We spent too many draft picks

Criticism of Julio Trade: Draft picks are a crapshoot because they haven't played in the NFL

 

So you are saying that the Falcons were stupid to trade 4 picks to get Julio.  Then you undercut the trade for Julio by pointing out that drafting any player is a crapshoot?  

Trash logic from a trash poster.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's true the trade would've been an epic fail had JJ been just a good or above-average receiver. But when TD was evaluating Julio, he had absolutely no doubt of the game-changing impact he could have for the Falcons catching passes from Matt Ryan.

The trade was a calculated, but unquestionably high risk move. One his trusted mentor Bill  Belichick advised against, but Dimitroff had the guts to do it any way. It will certainly go down as one of the most astute moves of his very successful Atlanta Falcon GM tenure, Mr. Laconfora's article notwithstanding.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

Agree with everything you said. How does this have anything to do with the Julio trade? 

Having Julio gives you a clear opportunity to change identities as an offense. To me, it was worth it considering the overall work still needed to reach another level as this team. Because, even if you argue what would have been available that is all hypothetical to a Smith led team and their own draft priorities. If they don't move up and get a slightly better team in some ways to me there were more holes remaining that would hinder your ability to push to the next level. You might still be stuck with Mike Smith and struggling to move past title games. Considering Julio's production the last 2 NFCCG's to me it's proven to be worth the trade.

There are more variables than simply saying "replace Julio with these other players Atlanta could have taken" since we don't know what the Falcons actually would have taken but rather in hindsight. That's why the draft is a risk anyway. Some players pan out and others don't. You miss on picks. It's like how many teams miss on a player that comes out later and plays like a top-10 draft pick over their careers. Does that mean every team that didn't draft him make a mistake? Not really as we don't know what was missing that led even the team to draft him to value that player as less than higher picks of their own.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Return of the Gaucho said:

 

Criticism of Julio Trade:  We spent too many draft picks

Criticism of Julio Trade: Draft picks are a crapshoot because they haven't played in the NFL

 

So you are saying that the Falcons were stupid to trade 4 picks to get Julio.  Then you undercut the trade for Julio by pointing out that drafting any player is a crapshoot?  

Trash logic from a trash poster.  

lol Exactly. By that logic we should never draft a single player because they are a crap shoot. Better to trade all our picks and get veterans I guess lol

Edited by Sidecar Falcon
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Ummmm...the JJ vs Jerry Rice comparison was pretty nice.  Then I looked at games played over the first six years and it's shocking.  

Player  Years  Gm  Rec  Yds  TD  Yds/rec  Yds/gm 
Julio Jones  2011-16  79  497  7,610  40  15.3  96 
Jerry Rice  1985-90  92  446  7,866  79  17.6  86 
 

The Jerry Rice TD total is off the charts!! 79 TD receptions in 6 years? That's 13 TD's a season!! :o

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

lol Exactly. By that logic we should never draft a single player because they are a crap shoot. Better to trade all our picks and get veterans I guess lol

Our entire draft for (insert proven player name here) and later we can all argue the game changing players missed in said draft; even though no one really knows if the team would have drafted said great player. Hindsight makes for a nice story, but hard to be objective in a colored lens. It skews reality and leads to delusional thinking. It's like say what you want over Michael Vick, but his being drafted help to put Atlanta on the map. To me, it's more of a testament to Arthur Blank's commitment to helping the team overcome how those things panned out and since getting Matt Ryan, Thomas Demitroff and Mike Smith this franchise was able to build off of that wild ride into a consistent organization to the point of now being able to compete in Super Bowls. Julio was in a way like your gamble of Michael Vick. Ryan wasn't as much of a gamble since you need a reliable QB and it's likely you get that in Ryan; though no one would be able to say if he'd be like Andy Dalton or ever considered as remotely possible in elite conversation with Tom Brady, etc. Heck, even Tom Brady was more of a game manager than elite passer in elite passing offense until the 2007 season. By then, he had 3 rings.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Reggie_Kelly said:

Y'all can ignore this all you want. Fact is that the Falcons are 52-44 (i think) .. Not exactly a stellar record since the trade. That trade crippled the team's depth. Love Julio but I'm not blind to facts.

The Falcons had no depth before the trade happened because of years of horrible drafts. Its why whenever one of our starters got hurt we were in deep trouble.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...