Would You Be Okay With Nationwide Fandom?

XXVIII-III

All of us have complained mightily about the lack of respect we get, but ask yourself this question: would you be okay with seeing Falcon pride all over the country like Seattle, Green Bay, Dallas, New York, etc.?

I ask because these are the definition of bandwagon fans, and there is something "intimate" about being a real Falcons fan. How would you feel if overnight there was Falcons fans everywhere just like Seattle did? Would you rather have a huge bandwagon fan base, or continue as we are?

I love the nationwide fandom that the Braves have.  You see Braves hats in every city in Atlanta (and even internationally) and they always get their fair share of national media coverage.  I think it would be a huge boost to the Falcons to have a greater fan base.  

When I was about 20 years old, I used stop by a newsstand on my way to work and pick up a copy of the Monday morning AJC (on Wednesday) to get local coverage of the Falcons. Thank God for the internet. But I'd be cool if more people became interested in the Birds because we'd get more attention on the football shows and there'd be a better chance of us getting primetime and nationally covered games.

4 minutes ago, Brewcrew said:

I love the nationwide fandom that the Braves have.  You see Braves hats in every city in Atlanta (and even internationally) and they always get their fair share of national media coverage.  I think it would be a huge boost to the Falcons to have a greater fan base.  

Exactly, it's a good thing,..and as I said in the thread below, why would anyone actually desire LESS people be fans of our team? If you do, then you have something in common with saints, panthers, and bucs fans....and that is certainly not a good thing. 

I would actually say 75% of Our fan base live outside of Atlanta anyway. Most teams have a huge fan base in their city and mediocre outside. Our fan base is scattered all over the US and some overseas too. We will take them all. I know a pile of Falcon fans who live in California. I think our fan base is so spread outside of our city, that's why our fan base is kinda misunderstood by the media. To me, we already have a national fan base. I think Atlantafalcons.com should do that map of falcon fans again. They had it where we could all go on, enter your name , and state. Then we could go back and scroll over each state to see how many fans there are. It was interesting and surprising how many are in each state. Post the results for the national media. 

As a Falcons fan in Utah, I'd love it. If people want to help me pull for the Falcons, I'd be stoked. We all know we've paid our dues as fans, and we'll definitely get more from a Falcons win than any bandwagoner anyway. Bandwagon fans for my team don't bother me that much, as long as they aren't the obnoxious ones.

If we win, y'all gotta realize it's what happens.  I have friends from New England that complain about how many people jumped on the Red Sox and Pats bandwagons in the early 2000's.  It is what it is.

Having lived in DC since '04 I can remember when we were rolling in 2012 and going to the Skins game and being blown away at how many Falcons fans were there and how different it was when I went to FedEx to see us play in '06 or '05.

Some of it is people get more excited when their team is winning but people love to hop on bandwagons.  Personally, it doesn't bother me like it seems to bother others.  I'd guess if you weren't really a fan seeing us win would be somewhat empty anyway.

40 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Whatever it happens. I don't live in Atlanta and I've been a fan my whole life. I'm not less or more of a fan than you or anyone else.

Just enjoy the ride because it will be over faster than you can blink.

This ^^

Haven't lived in Georgia since '91, but have always rooted for the Falcons across 8 different states.

Nothing wrong with more Falcons fans. Several major US cities don't even have a Falcons fan bar, which is a crying shame.

I will never understand the fixation of some about other people's fandom.

Us die-hard know that this means more to us, having been through so many tough years with this team (even just since 2007, we've been through a lot of ups and downs with this team).

I'm happy to see our Birds get the respect they deserve. Remember the excitement that this city with the Dirty Birds and when the Michael Vick show was at its peak? How could you not be excited about the chances of this team surpassing it.

We should be welcoming those who share our love for the birds with open arms, even if they're only fans in the good times.

They just don't get to enjoy it like those of us who've lived and breathed this team and waited for this day for so long (some much longer than 34 year old myself, I'm happiest for the long-time fans to finally get to see their Birds dominate their way to Superbowl).

I'd say your fandom doesn't affect me, but that's not completely true. I enjoy coming here to share a common interest with other fans.

Many here are already nationwide and even international fans.  I live in TN.  Nobody should have a problem with my fandom.  If you like the Falcons, we have something in common and I'll enjoy that with you, regardless where you are.

Of course we joke about bandwagon fans etc.  But did anyone think they weren't entitled to enjoy sex as a newcomer (pun) compared to old married couples?

I say welcome aboard (Falcons that is, not sex - bandwagon sex is not my thing).

I left Atlanta a few years ago and live in Washington D.C. now. I can say that after this morning, everybody on Earth (except those from Boston) are with us in the Super Bowl. Now as far as a permanent nationwide fan base, that would be fine with me. Those of us from Atlanta know who we are.