How do you think Belichick will gameplan for our offense?

Clark

You always here about how great he is with taking away a teams number one threat.  Since we have so many threats, Im curious who you think they will identify as the number one threat to gameplan for.  How do you think they will scheme against our offense?

Edited by Clark

The only thing that I can think of would be to get to Ryan. If he can try to do so by blitzing, he'll probably go that route, but the entire league has seen what happens when you blitz Ryan...you get torched. Ryan gets the ball out quick.

Also, that DL of NE is pretty big. To get to Ryan, they have to be pretty fast and they're not necessarily fast in that light. If our offense stays on the field like I know they will, they'll be sucking wind by the middle of the 2nd quarter.

It starts with Ryan getting the ball to open receiver. He is probably looking for weakness on Falcons OL and how to get Ryan to the ground. This season Falcons have been good in Man, zone or pretty much any combinations of coverages. Keep the falcons offense on the sideline, run the ball, use short completions from Brady to eat the clock. 

Just now, falconidae said:

Get to Ryan, can't stop all the weapons, GB couldn't get to Ryan and he lead the team to 6 TDs.

He has to hope his DLine can both handle the run and get pressure on Ryan.

This.  Belichick's usual "take away their best weapon" just won't work with the Falcons because our secondary and tertiary weapons are so good. They have to get to Ryan, repeatedly.  That's been a tough task for most teams because our O-line is playing so well and because Ryan's been so good even when he is under pressure.  He made a few perfect throws yesterday right as he was about to get hit.  That demoralizes a defense.

I'm sure what he'd like to happen is something like this:

• Julio is doubled all day and held to < 50 yards.
  • They're able to stop the run using only 4 DL.
  • They play mostly zone and limit the YAC of our RBs coming out of the backfield.
  • Matt Ryan's right arm falls off.

But in all seriousness, they don't have the personnel to stop us. The Seahawks couldn't even keep us under 40 (we knelt at the 2 yard line, so I'm counting that score). If we're on fire in two weeks like we've been the last 5 or 6 games, they'll have to score 50 to beat us. Had AR kept the game close yesterday, we could have scored 60 if we needed to. 

10 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Get to Ryan, can't stop all the weapons, GB couldn't get to Ryan and he lead the team to 6 TDs.

He has to hope his DLine can both handle the run and get pressure on Ryan.

Exactly, pressure will be the key. They simply cannot match up with all our weapons so they HAVE to get pressure on Ryan and disrupt his timing. 

I...I really don't know. 

Usually he likes to take away one or two major weapons, and he does a great job at that schematically. But we get beat by penetrating interior pass rush and pressures with the front four. I've watched a lot of the Patriots, and while their DL is very underrated at stopping the run, they're very middling at pressuring QBs. I'd kinda say ours is playing better right now, even. 

1) Blount will have 30+ carries. That's where it starts - they will pound the ball between the tackles and hope to have a significant TOP advantage.

2) Ryan has now had two fumbles (both recovered by ATL) in the playoffs. The only team that made the playoffs and had a better turnover margin than the Falcons are the Patriots. They will try to create the same situations that happened in the SEA and GB games except they will recover the fumbles.

3) Bracket Julio and tackle everyone else as soon as they catch the ball.

4) Tighten up in the red zone and hold Falcons to FGs. They can give up 5 scores and only 23 points, give up 6 scores and only 30 points. They will count on winning with efficiency - control the clock, wear the small Falcons D down, be opportunistic on D and stingy in the red zone. 

10 minutes ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

1) Blount will have 30+ carries. That's where it starts - they will pound the ball between the tackles and hope to have a significant TOP advantage.

2) Ryan has now had two fumbles (both recovered by ATL) in the playoffs. The only team that made the playoffs and had a better turnover margin than the Falcons are the Patriots. They will try to create the same situations that happened in the SEA and GB games except they will recover the fumbles.

3) Bracket Julio and tackle everyone else as soon as they catch the ball.

4) Tighten up in the red zone and hold Falcons to FGs. They can give up 5 scores and only 23 points, give up 6 scores and only 30 points. They will count on winning with efficiency - control the clock, wear the small Falcons D down, be opportunistic on D and stingy in the red zone. 

That wasn't so much the defenses doing that in yesterday's game. One was a bad snap from center and the other was (an in-and-around?) them trying to get cute.

Either way, we have to clean that up.

Bring stunts and rush the ILB to get pressure up the middle. Ryan normally gets the ball out quickly and if he can't step up, it creates problems. If they get strong interior rush on us, they can mess with our timing. If we see DiMarco on the field for most of the offensive plays, we're in trouble.