Have we seen the last of Trufant?

1 hour ago, RING OF HONOR said:

I said it then....and I will say it now...I think he's gone...Collins is the real deal....I think Tru will be traded for a high draft pick..if Collins had struggled I would say no..but Collins is more physical and has the ball skills. .the production in the secondary didn’t drop ..it got better. .so what exactly are you paying 10-14 million for??

I'm a fan of Trufant. ..but its a good business decision. ..

The Secondary is better--because Quinn had little choice but to give Hageman more snaps at DT and Freeney next to Beasley and Jarrett.

Watch the footage of what they've done.. QBs have less time. More RBs and TEs have to "Chip" and double.

Yes. Collins has played better. a lot better, but the play on the D-Line has improved.

Edited by Rise
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Quinn's plan was Collins on the right side. Quinn will put him there 'again' at the start of OTAs/camp. Alford and Collins will battle for RCB. i think Collins will win the job. competition could be at FS between DeadPoole and Allen tho. Quinn will have the luxury to put the 'best' players on the field...with good depth on the bench!!

I think with Trufant's injury the Falcons will have some leverage with negotiations. I do hope they resign him as the Falcons D continues to make big strides and improve. This years draft is going to be great considering on how few glaring weaknesses this team has. They can really focus on the D line and maybe a FS. They don't really have to worry about the offense or drafting CBs or LBs. If I was running the FO, I would try to get Dontari Poe at DT and then use the draft to get more pass rushing DEs and another DT. Man if this D starts matching the O as terms of production, this team will be unstoppable.

What is even greater is that the team is doing better than any individual part. Other than Julio, Ryan, and Beasely, there are no superstars in the sense of stats being padded. That means when it comes time to resign these guys, there agents won't be able to point to gaudy stats and jack up their price.  It will be a lot easier to resign these guys when their contracts expires.

Trufant will be on the roster next season.

In situations like this, I've not seen a team just trade-away their Pro Bowl starter after a good Super Bowl run without them only half of a season.

The Organization seems to like him a lot.

They never expected this from Collins (or I'd doubt they'd sign Alford).

They will all be back and "competing" to start in 6 months..

1 hour ago, Vepil said:

What if they resign Tru and trade Alford in the off season? I know we just signed Alford but it was a friendly contract and could be moved. Collins and Tru with DeadPoole in the slot make a really nice secondary. 

Look, Alford's contract expires on the last year of Collins rookie contract. He will be about 31 or so and Collins will be coming into his prime. We will keep all three until Alford's contract is up. 

We have the space to keep our own players unless they ball out next year which is a possibility. 

Edited by droopy1592

Falcons won't get a 1st rounder for him anyway....Not yet.

It's probably stupid to give-away a top-10 NFL CB for less than a very high 2nd and another pick (at least).

Ryan won't make much more than he is now (under the cap).

He's 31, and he has to win this Superbowl for other teams to even consider signing him for more. Maybe The Broncos, but I don't see it. It would have to be a team who is close to a Superbowl--like The Texans or Broncos (maybe The Cardinals).

Re-sign Trufant? Money will be there. Believe or not, this team will have less bench-veterans soon.

I do not foresee this Organization signing big-named veterans who are seeking Superbowl rings for a nice salary here....

TD and Pioli will pull from the draft, and build from within. They will re-sign their own mostly.

Edited by Rise
41 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Seeing what happened to GB with their injuries at CB, I am a bit reluctant to even consider getting rid of a top CB. Collins and Poole are cheap right now...Pay Tru and lock down the best CB group in the NFL!

Exactly. Cornerbacks are premium in today's NFL. You keep Trufant...

Trufant is one of the most consistent players at his position in the league. He's still invaluable to our team even when he's injured. Rico has already said numerous times Trufant is constantly in the DB's ears during games coaching them up on what he sees. You don't guys like Trufant go, he's the definition of a Quinn guy.

2 hours ago, D.B.N. said:

The real question is - who goes to the bench if/when Tru returns? I have been all about keeping Tru but man, Alford Collins and Poole are straight balling right now. If some team is willing to trade a first for him, it would be hard to pass up.... 

Move Alf or Poole to FS, problem solved. 

Or, more realistically, we can just have 4 good corners in a league where three are starters. Two of the four will be on rookie contracts for a while, and depth is an amazing thing. Collins can be depth/relief until Alf's contract expires, then he'll take his spot. Plus Alf can kick inside so we have insurance at the NB position this way too if something were to happen to Deadpoole. Getting rid of the best of the bunch isn't the right way to take things.