Have we seen the last of Trufant?

GET-ME-A-DB-TD

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What has happen is the young players know the scheme better so they can really show there speed ....Doesn't really have nothing to do with try 

Just a adjustment in the scheme that was made by a good defensive coach.

The only way I don't see try being here if someone give us a high pick or a baller lineman .... He will be here

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I think I'm ready to trade him. Use the cap space that would have been used to resign him to resign Matt, but under a majorly front loaded contract. With this success, it's going to be hard to keep the core together and we can't keep everyone. By front loading Matt's contract now, it should help us retain some of that young defensive talent in the coming years. Plus, Dimitroff has an eye for drafting and evaluating corners, perhaps more so than any other position.

Edited by cyberlian

20 minutes ago, cyberlian said:

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I think I'm ready to trade him. Use the cap space that would have been used to resign him to resign Matt, but under a majorly front loaded contract. With this success, it's going to be hard to keep the core together and we can't keep everyone. By front loading Matt's contract now, it should help us retain some of that young defensive talent in the coming years. Plus, Dimitroff has an eye for drafting and evaluating corners, perhaps more so than any other position.

I swear I was just thinking the same thing this morning. Collins is proving himself and Alford has held his own recently. So even if we bring Trufant back what's going to happen with Collins or Alford. Poole has been playing great in nickel coverage so were not moving Alford there and I don't see Collins being benched.

We could reduce cap space, and possibly load up on a 1st round pick or multiple picks in this draft.

32 minutes ago, cyberlian said:

I agree and I was one of the most vocal keep Trufant guys.. 

i dont think the Falcons can loose either way they go with Tru. if they keep him he can still close down one side of the field, teams just dont throw at him.... on the other if he walks or  they can trade him Alford, Poole and Collins are more than capable of getting the job done. i think it is all on Tru at this point... does he want to play for a team that should be competing for a super bowl or go get PAID?

4 minutes ago, newgafatboy said:

i dont think the Falcons can loose either way they go with Tru. if they keep him he can still close down one side of the field, teams just dont throw at him.... on the other if he walks or  they can trade him Alford, Poole and Collins are more than capable of getting the job done. i think it is all on Tru at this point... does he want to play for a team that should be competing for a super bowl or go get PAID?

This is a good point. The front office may feel him out to see what his demands are and try to make it work. I'm sure they have a limit in mind and if they can't get a deal done under that limit then maybe they consider alternative actions.

I think we keep Tru. Quite honestly, the only position that truly will be a NEED for us will be RDE. We could use another linebacker, but other than that we should be solid.

We'll have amazing depth at the corner position and people forget that Poole played safety in college. He could really be our X Factor sub package player. We could move him between safety and slot just like the cardinals do with matheiu.

I said it then....and I will say it now...I think he's gone...Collins is the real deal....I think Tru will be traded for a high draft pick..if Collins had struggled I would say no..but Collins is more physical and has the ball skills. .the production in the secondary didn’t drop ..it got better. .so what exactly are you paying 10-14 million for??

I'm a fan of Trufant. ..but its a good business decision. ..

I said this once we only need one more off-season this team is basically the skeleton/outline of a shutdown defense.

You pick up more depth on O-line and D-line maybe a LB or two that's that.

1 minute ago, D.B.N. said:

The real question is - who goes to the bench if/when Tru returns? I have been all about keeping Tru but man, Alford Collins and Poole are straight balling right now. If some team is willing to trade a first for him, it would be hard to pass up.... 

My thoughts exactly. ..I wouldn't pass up a 1st Rd pick..

5 minutes ago, GaFFLe said:

I like Tru but not THAT much.  I never thought he was all that and only have memories of him getting beat on the ball field.  Not saying we should get rid of him but has he EVER gotten an interception for us? 

You don't see him because a. He doesn't get targeted or b. He doesn't allow receptions