How was Collins recovery not a safety?

1 minute ago, ShanghaiDirtyBird said:

Dude. Just enjoy the win...

And if you're really curious, read ESPN. His leg was in the end zone. 

Why the NFL granted Falcons a touchback after Packers' fumble http://es.pn/2khAYza
via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app

Lol I'm definitely enjoying the win. Just wanted clarification to better understand a sport I love. Thanks. 

3 minutes ago, falconfansince66 said:

I've never seen a fumble recovery as a safety by a defense ever.  Besides, when he gained control of the ball, part of his body was in the end zone. This same rule applies when you try to 'down' the ball after a punt near the end zone and it's touched by a player in the end zone.

See I wasn't aware his body had anything to do with the spot of the ball. I always viewed it solely off where the ball was. Makes sense when you compare it to downing a punt. Thanks for the analogy. Heads up play by Collins. 

2 minutes ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

Collins grab the fumble and rolled on into the endzone. If falls under the momentum part of the rule. Its a touchback.

In a way, the offense isn't allowed to 'advance' a fumble.  The defense actually didn't 'advance' the ball either.  Although if he comes up cleanly with the ball at the one, that's where it'll be spotted. 

19 minutes ago, falconfansince66 said:

In a way, the offense isn't allowed to 'advance' a fumble.  The defense actually didn't 'advance' the ball either.  Although if he comes up cleanly with the ball at the one, that's where it'll be spotted. 

Unless his momentum carries him in the endzone. Even if he comes up with it clean at the one, if his running or dive/roll carries him in the endzone, it's still a touchback. He would have to clearly get the ball, trying to advance in, amd then go back into the endzone to be a safety. He dove at the one and rolled in. 

Edited by THEHEADCOACH