The Packers OL has perfected the art of getting away with holding

Sandy5prings

Something to watch out for. As the old school Raiders used to say, "if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying."

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/mcginn/2017/01/21/mcginn-pass-protection-technique-drawing-praise/96847704/

One offensive line coach already took the hint from his club’s head coach and has commenced a study of Green Bay’s pass blocking.

“I’ve been watching the Packers pass protect,” said the coach. “It borders on holding, but they do a nice job.”

“The Packers throw their hands on the sides of everybody’s shoulders,” said an NFL offensive line coach. “It looks like they just clamp their hands on the outside. You’re not grabbing the jersey. It doesn’t look like it’s truly holding. They just get in front of you. They’re good at it.”

After the Packers defeated the Seahawks, 38-10, on Dec. 11, defensive end Michael Bennett made a thoughtful albeit emotional response when I asked him about the proficiency of Green Bay’s pass blocking.

“The whole game they were on top of our shoulders,” said Bennett, a two-time Pro Bowl selection. “You can’t do anything. You can’t get off. How could I possibly get off when he (left tackle David Bakhtiari) is holding the back of my pads? Try to spin when he’s doing that.

“They were holding all the time. You look at people’s jerseys, they were torn up. There were some missed calls.”

Bennett didn’t have a single press

Don't expect them to start calling it tomorrow. The NFL has obviously seen plenty of film on it this season and nothing has changed.  If anything, it was much worse in the Dallas game.  The holds seemed blatant-yet very little to nothing was called.

4 minutes ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

It's this kinda stuff that concerns me the most tomorrow. Blatant holding with no call pretty much guarantees Rodgers making more big plays making this game even harder for us.

That said, this just shows that the primary way to beat the Packers is in a shootout. Playing tight D and trying to keep the scoring low isn't going to work if Rodgers is allowed 7-8 seconds or more to throw. 

Just now, Sandy5prings said:

That said, this just shows that the primary way to beat the Packers is in a shootout. Playing tight D and trying to keep the scoring low isn't going to work if Rodgers is allowed 7-8 seconds or more to throw. 

Very true. And with Clayborne out, we're down one more Dline man making Rodgers even more troublesome. 

I've seen it...It's like they "Squeeze" the shoulders...

They grab a small piece of jersey, but the hold-block looks like a shouder-squeeze..

Falcons D-Line have to (turn) their shoulders to an angle...

Edited by Rise

45 minutes ago, FulC0 said:

Don't expect them to start calling it tomorrow. The NFL has obviously seen plenty of film on it this season and nothing has changed.  If anything, it was much worse in the Dallas game.  The holds seemed blatant-yet very little to nothing was called.

This is what I'm afraid of!

Just now, BigBhang said:

This is what I'm afraid of!

Just imagine if Rodgers faces Tome Brady---after defeating The Falcons tomorrow..Throwing 5 TDs...

Then imagine the $$$$$$ that could be made from that match-up in The SuperBowl!!

There better be  some noise in The Georgia Domw when Rodgers has the ball..

4 minutes ago, 11=team said:

We have some experience on our DL that can make them pay.  Our guys are hungry and know this might be the last chance in a lifetime, they are coming through.  Coming to get you Mr Rodgers!

"Spin-Move" Freeney.....He still has something left, and he's getting better each game..

With Clayborn out, he will get more snaps....

Rodgers will hurt The Falcons chances to substitute, but I think it might actually help the continuity on the D-Line during the game.

No 3-man rushes though...

Edited by Rise

31 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

I was going to post this article this morning but didn't want to start a conspiracy theory. 

It goes to show you how Aaron does it though. No doubt he's great, but his line gets away with Blatant holds. A line can't be THAT good against any pass rush unless they are doing something illegal. 

I just went back and watched the coaches film on about 6 pass plays. On at least 3 of them both tackles were grabbing and holding on to he end of the chest protector part of the shoulder pads. Basically they had them two hand fulls of the end of the pads right in front of the arm pits. I'm sure those make great little handles. Still, you could clearly see the jersey being twisted as they tried to control the defenders.