Ryan: the only QB left without a built-in excuse

Falco4

Brady

win: adds to the legacy of a hall of fame career.

Lose: still has a hall of fame career into his late 30s.

Big Ben:

Win: big time playoff QB and one of the greatest.

Loss: ran into Brady, but still one of the best big game QBs.

A-Rod:

Win: cements his legacy as one of the all time greats in a superhuman season.

Loss: superman didn't have the supporting cast on offense or defense because of injuries or lack of free agents.

Ryan? 

Win: he has the best two-headed backfield, number 1 receiver, legit number two receiver, Gabriel that can take the top off a defense, a pro bowl center,  and the best OC today.

Loss: choker, not elite despite having the best talent, OC, pro bowl center. 

Let's just accept that Ryan will never be accepted by the football media. Ryan will have to win 2 superbowls before anyone gives him props. And maybe it's better this way.

I know right.

Where was the criticism when Rodgers went one and done . . . TWICE. . .  since their SB run and I think they have a losing or break even playoff record in that same time frame.

8 minutes ago, Falco4 said:

Let's just accept that Ryan will never be accepted by the football media. Ryan will have to win 2 superbowls before anyone gives him props. And maybe it's better this way.

BS.. Ryan wins one SB with his stats over the years he's HOF...........

4 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Yeah, all these people talking about how he has to win the "big games" before they say he's elite, but we all know they still will never put him up with guys like Brady, Rodgers, Brees etc.

They said many of the same things about big head Peyton Manning. What did he do? He went and won the big one. So I guess Ryan needs to do the same thing. I don't think it's any kind of double standard, you just have to win a ring before your considered elite.

21 minutes ago, Falco4 said:

Brady

win: adds to the legacy of a hall of fame career.

Lose: still has a hall of fame career into his late 30s.

Big Ben:

Win: big time playoff QB and one of the greatest.

Loss: ran into Brady, but still one of the best big game QBs.

A-Rod:

Win: cements his legacy as one of the all time greats in a superhuman season.

Loss: superman didn't have the supporting cast on offense or defense because of injuries or lack of free agents.

Ryan? 

Win: he has the best two-headed backfield, number 1 receiver, legit number two receiver, Gabriel that can take the top off a defense, a pro bowl center,  and the best OC today.

Loss: choker, not elite despite having the best talent, OC, pro bowl center. 

I think we are just a little sensitive. I have been watching a lot of talking heads all week. I'm actually feeling some love out there in media land. Two phrases I've heard repeatedly about Ryan: 1) machine like consistency all season, and 2) elevated the level of play of the guys around him (Sanu and Gabriel specifically).

When the New Orleans was celebrating their second most memorable win in franchise history the mantra was " Who cares.  Just win."

When the Carolina Panthers were getting it together again, and Cam was going to Cam-Cam all over the dome? "Who cares? Just win."

When Tampa Bay was the hottest most unstoppable juggernaut ever to jugger a naught in the NFC south? "Who cares? Just win."

When Seattle got their swag back? "Just win."

Every week this year our opponent has been the greatest test of all time for the Falcons.  Every week Matt needed to show somebody something to believe in him.  This week is no different than any of those weeks.  

Who cares what the media thinks? Who cares what Stephen A. Thinks? Who cares what Skip Bayless thinks? 

Who cares? Just win.

7 hours ago, falconidae said:

Ryan wins and the narrative about him changes, He'll be talked about with all the other  super bowl winners, except Brady.

I agree with this. If he gets to and wins the Super Bowl he would have beat 3 Super Bowl winning QBs. That changes the narrative quite a bit. Also his play in his last two playoff appearances is much improved. That helps his image with the sports media community.

I don't understand, who exactly are the amazing supporting cast that Ryan has? Julio, I give you. But are we talking about the most stupid free agency signing of the off season, who was with someone like Julio before and amounted to close to nothing? Or the 5-8 undrafted receiver that was cut by the great Browns organization? Or the journeyman receiver who has been bouncing around the league, or the slew of rookie or no name TEs, or is it the RB who was third string behind an ancient Steven Jackson and Jacquiz Rogers, or the other RB who last year was considered borderline bust? 

I understand that these guys are playing great, but outside of Julio there is a very high probability, and for a few of these guys historical data to suggest, that they wouldn't be the world beaters they are without Ryan. When Brady or Rodgers does this, they are said to elevate others around them, but somehow with Ryan it takes away from the credit that he deserves?!!

7 hours ago, Reggie_Kelly said:

Ryan is 2-4 in the playoffs. 0 Superbowls

Rodgers is 9-6 in the playoffs 1 Superbowl

Big Ben is 13-6 in the playoffs 2 Superbowls

Brady is 23-9 in the playoffs 4 Superbowls

Ryan has to earn the respect in the playoffs. You aren't given it. Look at Tony Romo, same playoff record and ya'll wouldn't respect him and many of you would call him a choker. 

Those QBs had defenses that helped them get to the super bowl. Ryan's playoff record just like any other QBs is a team record. Ryan had the single best nfccg stats all time and still lost because his defense gave up so much. 

Guest Regular Guy

I think a BIG part of this discussion is that we are talking about the organization itself, the Atlanta Falcons. Matt pretty much gets a lot of flack not so much of who he is but rather who he plays for. The Falcons historically have not been media darlings. We are not the Pats or the Packers. This is not title town. We've been a bad team for a long time. Mr. Blank rescued us from poor to mediocrity 15 years ago and has put his all into making us relevant. Some of it has not worked out so well but he has done REALLY wonderful things for this franchise and its fans but the one stigma remains and that is winning it all. Once (not if) we win it all, things will start to change as far as the media's perception and as a by product of that, Matt will get his just deserts and the talking heads will give him that label that we all think and already know he deserves.......ELITE.

Nothing to it but to do it.

RISE UP!!!

8 hours ago, Reggie_Kelly said:

Ryan is 2-4 in the playoffs. 0 Superbowls

Rodgers is 9-6 in the playoffs 1 Superbowl

Big Ben is 13-6 in the playoffs 2 Superbowls

Brady is 23-9 in the playoffs 4 Superbowls

Ryan has to earn the respect in the playoffs. You aren't given it. Look at Tony Romo, same playoff record and ya'll wouldn't respect him and many of you would call him a choker. 

In the NFCCG:

QB 1: 17 of 30 56.67 comp% 244 yards 0 TDs 2 INTs 55.4 QB rating

QB 2:  30 of 42 71.43 comp % 396 yards 3 TDs 1 INT 114.8 QB rating

QB 3: 22 of 37  59.46 comp% 237 yards 1 TD 1INT 76.1 QB rating

Care to guess which 3 QBs and which  2  won the super bowl?

Bonus track, this guy won the NFCCG with the stats below, lost in Super bowl that year:

QB 4: 10 of 19 52.63 comp% 133 yards 0 TDs 2 INTs 35.5 QB rating

1 hour ago, dmo_dlo said:

I don't understand, who exactly are the amazing supporting cast that Ryan has? Julio, I give you. But are we talking about the most stupid free agency signing of the off season, who was with someone like Julio before and amounted to close to nothing? Or the 5-8 undrafted receiver that was cut by the great Browns organization? Or the journeyman receiver who has been bouncing around the league, or the slew of rookie or no name TEs, or is it the RB who was third string behind an ancient Steven Jackson and Jacquiz Rogers, or the other RB who last year was considered borderline bust? 

I understand that these guys are playing great, but outside of Julio there is a very high probability, and for a few of these guys historical data to suggest, that they wouldn't be the world beaters they are without Ryan. When Brady or Rodgers does this, they are said to elevate others around them, but somehow with Ryan it takes away from the credit that he deserves?!!

Exactly, I've always wondered myself why the weapons argument is always put on Ryan. I don't see most if any top QBs playing with bums across the board.