How well does Falcons Defense matchup with banged up Packers offense?

another thread about the D since the bye, says that during that time frame, we'd have been in the top 15 overall and in the top 12 passing. I think that means we'd match up pretty decent with them anyway, but with their injuries, it should definitely be favorable to us. Now let's just hope these guys play to their full potential and make it happen

Just now, FalconFanForLife said:

You know on paper our Defense looks good against this injury riddled Packer offense, but Aaron Rodgers has that "X-Factor" that defies standard football logic.

Only he, Discount Double Check, can save this thing from being a colossal yawner in favor of the Falcons. I'm anxious to watch this clown wallow in hopeless but frantic, abject futility for most of the second half Sunday afternoon.

8 hours ago, FalconFanForLife said:

You know on paper our Defense looks good against this injury riddled Packer offense, but Aaron Rodgers has that "X-Factor" that defies standard football logic.

I agree. You look at his playoff performance last year against a very good Cardinals defense. His starting WRs in that game were Jeff Janis and a hobbled Davante Adams. Aaron Rodgers put together one of the most legendary drives in playoff history to tie the game and send it to OT. The Packers had less than one minute on the clock with no timeouts and were facing a 4th and 20 inside in their own 10 yard line. He hit Jeff Janis for 61 yards followed by a Hail Mary TD to Janis again as time expired. That's the thing about Aaron Rodgers, is that you can never really count him out of a game. The Packers were missing some key guys in that first matchup with Atlanta earlier in the year. I don't really see how this game is any different than the regular season matchup. While they may be missing Nelson and Adams in this one they were missing Jared Cook and Randall Cobb in the first matchup. Jared Cook has been a major difference maker for Green Bay this year. I believe their record is something like 12-2 including the playoffs in games that Jared Cook played and their offensive numbers are night and day with/without him in the lineup this year.

8 hours ago, papachaz said:

another thread about the D since the bye, says that during that time frame, we'd have been in the top 15 overall and in the top 12 passing. I think that means we'd match up pretty decent with them anyway, but with their injuries, it should definitely be favorable to us. Now let's just hope these guys play to their full potential and make it happen

The thing is, which legit offenses did they play though? You look at Green Bay and their defense was looking really good down the stretch as well but they played some lousy offenses. They throttled that same Seattle team 38-10 and picked off Wilson 5 times. Then what happened, they played a legit offense and gave up 31 points. Both offenses are going to make a ton of plays on Sunday. Its really going to come down to who has the ball last or which defense can make a key stop or force a key turnover. I don't think either defense really has the advantage in this one. Green Bay has a pretty good Front 7 in terms of rushing the passer. The thing that makes it tough to defense Rodgers is the Packers OL is tremendous in pass protection. Their Tackles may be the best pass blocking duo in the league and their Guards are pretty stout as well.

9 hours ago, FalconFanForLife said:

I do not buy the A-Aron is god BS.  He has an uncanny eye, rocket arm, and crazy ability to escape, but unless he gets lots of help from the Refs, he will be running and checking down a lot.  If the Falcons can make tackles, the game will not be close.  If A-Aron runs, he will get hit.

11 minutes ago, ballfan said:

I do not buy the A-Aron is god BS.  He has an uncanny eye, rocket arm, and crazy ability to escape, but unless he gets lots of help from the Refs, he will be running and checking down a lot.  If the Falcons can make tackles, the game will not be close.  If A-Aron runs, he will get hit.

well if you've watched any of their games, his 'gi---normous gawdlike oline' gets away with more holding than just about any two other teams combined. So he gets plenty of help from the refs

3 minutes ago, papachaz said:

well if you've watched any of their games, his 'gi---normous gawdlike oline' gets away with more holding than just about any two other teams combined. So he gets plenty of help from the refs

I will just say this, I trust Quinn has a plan.  Dallas D- did not play well.  I will be shocked if A-Aron beats the Falcons defense.  At the same time, I am confident Ryan and the Falcons offense will continue to roll.

Atlanta's "horrible" defense allowed 8 points the entire 2nd half of the last game we had against the Packers. Quinn will have this defense ready and I think we'll surprise people on that side of the ball. ALSO Godgers took over after Atlanta went up by 1 with 2 time outs and 30 seconds on the clock. The result wasn't any MJ like finish for Aaron, it was a horrible pass attempt/incompletion on 4th down with 14 seconds left. This defense has already put a stop to the "epic" packers offense when the game was on the line once. I don't see it coming down to that again this week, but even if it does we already stopped him once when our defense hadn't even hit their stride yet. 

Atlanta also could've put up 40+ on a much better Seattle defense (compared to GB) if they wouldn't have kneeled it. If the offense plays anywhere near as efficient as they did against Seattle it really won't even be close. 

Edited by shock
4 hours ago, strat1080 said:

The thing is, which legit offenses did they play though? You look at Green Bay and their defense was looking really good down the stretch as well but they played some lousy offenses. They throttled that same Seattle team 38-10 and picked off Wilson 5 times. Then what happened, they played a legit offense and gave up 31 points. Both offenses are going to make a ton of plays on Sunday. Its really going to come down to who has the ball last or which defense can make a key stop or force a key turnover. I don't think either defense really has the advantage in this one. Green Bay has a pretty good Front 7 in terms of rushing the passer. The thing that makes it tough to defense Rodgers is the Packers OL is tremendous in pass protection. Their Tackles may be the best pass blocking duo in the league and their Guards are pretty stout as well.

In answer to your question; Atlanta played the number 2 (New Orleans) and number 6 (Arizona) scoring offenses after the bye, and they played two other teams in the top half of scoring (Chiefs, #13 and Panthers #15).  So, out of six games, four offenses were above average and two were well above average.

By contrast, the best scoring team that Green Bay played in their last six games was Philadelphia at #16 in scoring offense.  The other five were decidedly in the bottom half of the league in scoring; #18, #20, #23 and two tied for #28.  I'm not sure what you're talking about Green Bay then playing a decent offense and giving up 31 points after the Seattle game.  Green Bay did play teams in the top half of the league in scoring 5 times during the regular season, and they gave up 30, 31, 33, 42 and 47 points.

Well. They are the Saints with no running game. 

Jordy isn't playing. That means Davante, with a gimpy ankle, is the #1 WR. Collins matches up with him very well. Randall Cobb vs Robert Alford will be the primary match up. The good thing is Cobb doesn't run deep routes all that often. Allison is a just a guy. 

Their offensive weapons are truly mediocre. Jared Cook is just as liable for a 15 yard game as he is for a 100 yard game. He's got a whopping 2 TDs on the season. He's not better than Jimmy Graham, Greg Olsen, or Travis Kelce. We've seen better offenses. 

We held the Saints to 13 points going into the fourth quarter. They have as good an OL, an actual running game, better WRs and are built to beat us. The only difference is Rodgers vs Brees. Rodgers can move and extend plays. Brees doesn't. 

Stay disciplined and don't break down when Rodgers rolls out and they should manage this offense fairly well. They aren't that good talent wise. It's mostly Rodgers getting out the pocket and the defense losing discipline and him capitalizing on it. That's why man works best. The coverage doesn't break down as easy as zone, it just is harder to cover for that long. 

3 hours ago, shock said:

Atlanta's "horrible" defense allowed 8 points the entire 2nd half of the last game we had against the Packers. Quinn will have this defense ready and I think we'll surprise people on that side of the ball. ALSO Godgers took over after Atlanta went up by 1 with 2 time outs and 30 seconds on the clock. The result wasn't any MJ like finish for Aaron, it was a horrible pass attempt/incompletion on 4th down with 14 seconds left. This defense has already put a stop to the "epic" packers offense when the game was on the line once. I don't see it coming down to that again this week, but even if it does we already stopped him once when our defense hadn't even hit their stride yet. 

Atlanta also could've put up 40+ on a much better Seattle defense (compared to GB) if they wouldn't have kneeled it. If the offense plays anywhere near as efficient as they did against Seattle it really won't even be close. 

Since losing Earl Thomas I'm not sure how much better Seattle's defense really is. Arizona went into Seattle and dropped 34 points on them in their own house. Green Bay put up 38 on them.

5 hours ago, ballfan said:

I will just say this, I trust Quinn has a plan.  Dallas D- did not play well.  I will be shocked if A-Aron beats the Falcons defense.  At the same time, I am confident Ryan and the Falcons offense will continue to roll.

Prepare to be shocked. The Falcons defense is not going to stop the Packers offense. That doesn't mean they will lose. I think they will likely outscore Green Bay but there is no plan that is going to stop Aaron Rodgers at this point. A new wrinkle might work for a while but Rodgers is going to figure it out. He's playing at arguably the highest level the NFL has ever seen over the last few months. The Falcons defense isn't even in the same stratosphere as the Giants unit and Rodgers lit them up for 38 points, 4 TDs and 0 INTs. His vision and ball placement over the last 8 games has just been surreal. Guys aren't even open and he's either buying time or throwing them open. That Giants secondary was arguably the best unit in the NFL this year and Rodgers still had his way throwing to tightly covered WRs.

Although there is one glaring weakness in the Packers offense that you don't typically see. They have been terrible at blitz pickup with Ty Montgomery at RB. That is where Dallas started to have some success. However to counter that, Green Bay would likely just put the FB Aaron Ripkowski in there for pass protection. There isn't a plan that either of these defensive coordinators are going to roll out that is going to work the entire game. These QBs and offenses are just playing at an incredible level.

1 hour ago, vel said:

Well. They are the Saints with no running game. 

Jordy isn't playing. That means Davante, with a gimpy ankle, is the #1 WR. Collins matches up with him very well. Randall Cobb vs Robert Alford will be the primary match up. The good thing is Cobb doesn't run deep routes all that often. Allison is a just a guy. 

Their offensive weapons are truly mediocre. Jared Cook is just as liable for a 15 yard game as he is for a 100 yard game. He's got a whopping 2 TDs on the season. He's not better than Jimmy Graham, Greg Olsen, or Travis Kelce. We've seen better offenses. 

We held the Saints to 13 points going into the fourth quarter. They have as good an OL, an actual running game, better WRs and are built to beat us. The only difference is Rodgers vs Brees. Rodgers can move and extend plays. Brees doesn't. 

Stay disciplined and don't break down when Rodgers rolls out and they should manage this offense fairly well. They aren't that good talent wise. It's mostly Rodgers getting out the pocket and the defense losing discipline and him capitalizing on it. That's why man works best. The coverage doesn't break down as easy as zone, it just is harder to cover for that long. 

Sorry but this is just a total homer post. Drew Brees playing is not playing at the level that Rodgers is right now.

"Stay disciplined and don't break down when Rodgers rolls out". Are you being serious? You think its just that simple? Just stay disciplined and cover WRs for 6+ seconds, while they are zig zagging all over the field in the scramble drill. Gotcha. That's so easy even the best secondary in the NFL got lit up for 4 TDs in the Wild Card round. The challenge with Rodgers is that not only is he very good at escaping the pocket, he can also carve you up from inside the pocket. He can move a little the left, a little to the right, step up, step back, move back to the right, dodge a defender, then throw a dime while not even having his feet set. That's when he's in the pocket. If you let him out of the pocket its all over. You are about to give up a 40-60+ yard play. His passer rating and completion percentage on throws outside the pocket is like nothing the NFL has ever seen before. Part of it his Rodgers himself but the other part is the chemistry he has with the OL. Those guys know how to protect to the proper depth and hold up. If you rush 4 there is an opening for him to escape on every single drop back. You can spy him but that leaves one less defender in coverage.

You really think that the Panthers and Chiefs have been better offenses this year? That's ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, strat1080 said:

Sorry but this is just a total homer post. Drew Brees playing is not playing at the level that Rodgers is right now.

"Stay disciplined and don't break down when Rodgers rolls out". Are you being serious? You think its just that simple? Just stay disciplined and cover WRs for 6+ seconds, while they are zig zagging all over the field in the scramble drill. Gotcha. That's so easy even the best secondary in the NFL got lit up for 4 TDs in the Wild Card round. The challenge with Rodgers is that not only is he very good at escaping the pocket, he can also carve you up from inside the pocket. He can move a little the left, a little to the right, step up, step back, move back to the right, dodge a defender, then throw a dime while not even having his feet set. That's when he's in the pocket. If you let him out of the pocket its all over. You are about to give up a 40-60+ yard play. His passer rating and completion percentage on throws outside the pocket is like nothing the NFL has ever seen before. Part of it his Rodgers himself but the other part is the chemistry he has with the OL. Those guys know how to protect to the proper depth and hold up. If you rush 4 there is an opening for him to escape on every single drop back. You can spy him but that leaves one less defender in coverage.

You really think that the Panthers and Chiefs have been better offenses this year? That's ridiculous.

Did I not say the only difference is Brees vs Rodgers? 

Lol find where I said it was easy. You're taking a lot out of context and extrapolating it into a new argument. Where did I say the Panthers and Chiefs have better offenses? I simply said we've seen better TEs than Cook and we've seen better overall offenses. I never even said we'd stop their offense. I simply said:

"Stay disciplined and don't break down when Rodgers rolls out and they should manage this offense fairly well. They aren't that good talent wise. It's mostly Rodgers getting out the pocket and the defense losing discipline and him capitalizing on it. That's why man works best. The coverage doesn't break down as easy as zone, it just is harder to cover for that long."

But go ahead and take an entire argument out of context. That's your prerogative. I'm not going to argue that. 

12 minutes ago, Reggie_Kelly said:

People here are a little too confident in the defense. I would not be surprised if GB scores 30+ .. The defense is young and decent but not good yet. 

I wouldn't be surprised. But I also wouldn't be surprised if GB struggles to crack 20 until the fourth quarter. Our offense takes away the running game for the defense by jumping out to quick leads. Given how banged up GB's WR corps is, I would not be surprised to see them struggle. 

Rodgers is carrying that team. But a limited crop of weapons hampers him. Jordy was healthy during the "run the table" run. So was Davante and Allison. All three are banged up, with Jordy having been out since NYG. If anybody can elevate the team and still score 30+, it's Rodgers. I wouldn't put money on the Falcons' defense, but given the situation and the match ups, a sub-30 game from Green Bay isn't necessarily farfetched. 

15 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Only he, Discount Double Check, can save this thing from being a colossal yawner in favor of the Falcons. I'm anxious to watch this clown wallow in hopeless but frantic, abject futility for most of the second half Sunday afternoon.

This game is going to be a CLASSIC example of why it's stupid to look at football games as the quarterback vs the other quarterback. Rodgers will likely have a pretty good game. And that won't be enough. It won't even be his fault for the loss. 

Edited by JD dirtybird21
15 hours ago, TonyMartin80 said:

I will be VERY disappointed if we lose.

They could be setting us up to have a colossal failure and an incredible Rodgers fairy tale. At the same time making us look like fools again. Who better to pick on than the Falcons. A Brady vs Rodgers SB would shatter records if Rodgers pulled it off. All these injuries and being sick is actually making me nervous.