Jump to content

So obamacare will be gone Monday?


lostone
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Worzone said:

Free market competition with a legal regulation prohibiting exclusion for preexisting conditions or dropping you because you are sick 

Open all insurance across all 50

Give a subsidy to those below a certain povery level

No mandate or punishment for choosing not to partake

Dropping the mandate but keeping the preexisting clause and the prohibition of dropping.coverage due to sickness........that probably is not going to work.

if you want  to destroy the insurance industry then go ahead

Link to comment
Share on other sites

im 50/50 on obamacare.. obamacare caused me to have to drop my insurance at the beginning of the year that i had in place for 10 years.. it cost me 350$/month for a family of 5.. it was great

this year my premium skyrocketed to over 1000$/month and i was no longer able to afford it.

8 months later i was diagnosed with lymphoma...

now i was able to get insurance for me myself and I only.. for 375$/month so i can start treatments..

had i just been able to keep my origional plan for a fair ******* price and not been raped my whole family would still be covered..

 

So yay i got insurance after cancer diagnosis

but **** obamacare for forcing me to drop my insurance in the first place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, shc said:

That sh*t plan was better than the sh*t system that it somewhat reformed

 

hopefully the replacement is worth a ****, as my youngest son definitely benefited from obamacare

For about 30 million people, yes.  For the rest of us, not so much.  It had a 95% satisfaction rate among those with insurance.  What is that rate today?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, kicker said:

For about 30 million people, yes.  For the rest of us, not so much.  It had a 95% satisfaction rate among those with insurance.  What is that rate today?

 

When you say it....what do you mean?

The system itself?? Most people have no clue.

The vast majority of people who had insurance had very little to no change in their policies as most people  got insurance through employers...and most employer plans changed very little.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the stumbling block for universal health care in America is the fact that health care is business and we can't (or won't) model it around anything other than profit margins. Mandates are not ever going to make health care work because it relies on keeping costs down while providing it to everyone by selling insurance to young, healthy adults who don't need it and wouldn't otherwise have it. It's a little more complex than that, but that's what it boils down to. And the tax penalty doesn't make up for those losses.

I think the only way to make universal health care work is to take the capitalism out of health insurance. Universal health care is not a capitalist concept, so imo any universal system designed around private industry making profits for their stockholders is doomed to fail. Big pharma being a major part of that.

So it's either do away with the notion of universal health care or design a plan that allows states to tax (heavily) for state operated health care systems that provide stable costs to everyone based on reliable tax funding.

Or I could just be crazy. All I know is when Obamacare kicked in, my employer at the time dropped all dependants from health care coverage across the board. We were covered individually at a bare minimum level and had the option of adding our dependants, for the same coverage they had previously at no additional cost, for an additional $150 (for up to two dependants) out of every bi-weekly paycheck. I have 3 kids, so my additional cost to keep my kids insured was $350+ a month. I was clearing about $2200 a month, which doesn't go real far for a family of 4.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Carter said:

I think the stumbling block for universal health care in America is the fact that health care is business and we can't (or won't) model it around anything other than profit margins. Mandates are not ever going to make health care work because it relies on keeping costs down while providing it to everyone by selling insurance to young, healthy adults who don't need it and wouldn't otherwise have it. It's a little more complex than that, but that's what it boils down to. And the tax penalty doesn't make up for those losses.

I think the only way to make universal health care work is to take the capitalism out of health insurance. Universal health care is not a capitalist concept, so imo any universal system designed around private industry making profits for their stockholders is doomed to fail. Big pharma being a major part of that.

So it's either do away with the notion of universal health care or design a plan that allows states to tax (heavily) for state operated health care systems that provide stable costs to everyone based on reliable tax funding.

Or I could just be crazy. All I know is when Obamacare kicked in, my employer at the time dropped all dependants from health care coverage across the board. We were covered individually at a bare minimum level and had the option of adding our dependants, for the same coverage they had previously at no additional cost, for an additional $150 (for up to two dependants) out of every bi-weekly paycheck. I have 3 kids, so my additional cost to keep my kids insured was $350+ a month. I was clearing about $2200 a month, which doesn't go real far for a family of 4.

they don't understand this point. you don't fix something by throwing nearly unlimited money at it. if you don't address the costs, all it is doing is moving money from the middle class to big business

same thing with financial aid and the college industrial complex. oh look....available financial aid has increased? maybe it is just coincidence that tuition across the nation has skyrocketed to meet it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Worzone said:

Free market competition with a legal regulation prohibiting exclusion for preexisting conditions or dropping you because you are sick 

Open all insurance across all 50

Give a subsidy to those below a certain povery level

No mandate or punishment for choosing not to partake

Those two things don't go together.  How do you prevent somebody from waiting until they get sick to sign up for insurance?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dago 3.0 said:

they don't understand this point. you don't fix something by throwing nearly unlimited money at it. if you don't address the costs, all it is doing is moving money from the middle class to big business

same thing with financial aid and the college industrial complex. oh look....available financial aid has increased? maybe it is just coincidence that tuition across the nation has skyrocketed to meet it

Man I went back to school full time with the GI Bill in 2015 and it's **** near criminal how some of this stuff operates. The price of books alone is ridiculous; it's almost a racket. I can't complain much about tuition here though... it's just north of $5000 per semester, which is peanuts compared to most other universities. I'll end up at a more expensive university for grad school though. I live in Texas but I'm hoping I can do it at UGA since my major falls under journalism and they have a great journalism school (plus the family tradition)... and they're significantly more than $10-11k per academic year lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

When you say it....what do you mean?

The system itself?? Most people have no clue.

The vast majority of people who had insurance had very little to no change in their policies as most people  got insurance through employers...and most employer plans changed very little.

The vast majority had no change?  When the ACA was passed, the vast majority of people were in traditional copay plans.  And today, most people have deductibles in excess of $1000 (which amazingly still is not considered a "high deductible health plan" and thus not eligible for HSA contributions.  

 

Get your facts straight.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've heard good and I've heard bad about obamacare.  I still have my old plan so I'm not complaining.  You aren't going to our old structure with structure with minor tweaks and a preexisting mandate and not completely destroying the insurance industry.  Unless that is the plan?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a great forum on the site, and this is a great, thought-provoking thread with great conversation, ideas, and thoughts.

I am 50/50 on the ACA, too. I understand its intent, but its intent put into practice just does not mix well when the industry is heavily privatized, as you stated Carter. Yu would definitely have to remove the capitalism aspect from healthcare.

I also have heard arguments that people should take better care of themselves to avoid getting ailments, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, and kidney failure, that would render them financially inept. There are so many sides and arguments to this thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Halcon-1 said:

This is a great forum on the site, and this is a great, thought-provoking thread with great conversation, ideas, and thoughts.

I am 50/50 on the ACA, too. I understand its intent, but its intent put into practice just does not mix well when the industry is heavily privatized, as you stated Carter. Yu would definitely have to remove the capitalism aspect from healthcare.

I also have heard arguments that people should take better care of themselves to avoid getting ailments, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, and kidney failure, that would render them financially inept. There are so many sides and arguments to this thing.

you certainly can't ask people to show a little responsibility can you? that is so patently un-American

we should be able to do what we want, blame others, and have someone else pay to fix it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...