Team rankings by quarter

dmo_dlo

Being tired of everyone talking about how our scoring defense is ranked "last", I thought I look at how our fourth quarter slowdowns when we have had big leads would show up in stats. Here are offensive and defensive scoring rankings by quarter:

Quarter.......................................1st....................2nd.................3rd...................4th

Offensive ranking                       2                       1                      1                     11

Defensive ranking                      14                     22                    5                      31

Essentially what we all know from watching the game, but what you don't get from stats, that very often we shut down our offense in the 4th quarter, which led to more possession for the other team, and combined with our scheme to prevent big plays, led to many points given up in the 4th. If you look at the first 3 quarters, while the outcome of the game is still in question for these games, we are a pretty decent defense statistically. 

Edited by dmo_dlo

4 hours ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

That 3rd qtr defense tho... fire 

who's offense is #1 in 1st qtr? Seems like when you score on 7 straight opening drives it would be us 

I imagine it is the patriots, just a guess. After watching a few of their games, it seemed that they started out hot, then started to get figured out throughtout the game 

We defer always so we probably have fewer first quarter possessions than other teams.

Similarly, we have more 3rd quarter offensive offensive possessions, which makes our defense look a little better than they are in the 3rd quarter.

But, the numbers overall do seem to point to a 15th-20th ranked type defense if you don't include garbage time.

4 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

We defer always so we probably have fewer first quarter possessions than other teams.

Similarly, we have more 3rd quarter offensive offensive possessions, which makes our defense look a little better than they are in the 3rd quarter.

But, the numbers overall do seem to point to a 15th-20th ranked type defense if you don't include garbage time.

Not to be a homer of sorts. But, I dont like the phrase garbage time. Yes, the Falcons this year are usually ahead by a mile by then. However, the players dont stop playing in the fourth quarter, the defensive playcalling just transitions from an attacking aggressive play to a time eating defense so to speak. 

Edit: I shouldnt just say defensive playcalling. The playcalling on both sides turn into time eating playcalling. 

Edited by Asault86

2 minutes ago, Asault86 said:

Not to be a homer of sorts. But, I dont like the phrase garbage time. Yes, the Falcons this year are usually ahead by a mile by then. However, the players dont stop playing in the fourth quarter, the defensive playcalling just transitions from an attacking aggressive play to a time eating defense so to speak. 

Correct.  It's more that if you're trying to get a real read on the quality of a team, you look when the game is still in question and the playcalling is normal.

The rest is often called garbage time, but I'm fine calling it something else.  I'm saying we are better than our 4th quarter numbers would show, so it's certainly not an insult.

4 hours ago, dmo_dlo said:

Being tired of everyone talking about how our scoring defense is ranked "last", I thought I look at how our fourth quarter slowdowns when we have had big leads would show up in stats. Here are offensive and defensive scoring rankings by quarter:

Quarter.......................................1st....................2nd.................3rd...................4th

Offensive ranking                       2                       1                      1                     11

Defensive ranking                      14                     22                    5                      31

Essentially what we all know from watching the game, but what you don't get from stats, that very often we shut down our offense in the 4th quarter, which led to more possession for the other team, and combined with our scheme to prevent big plays, led to many points given up in the 4th. If you look at the first 3 quarters, while the outcome of the game is still in question for these games, we are a pretty decent defense statistically. 

Exactly, this is what many in the national media, that haven't seen the games, are missing.  We, in a number of games, built a big lead forcing teams to open things up and play catch up after the game was well under control.

4 hours ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

That 3rd qtr defense tho... fire 

who's offense is #1 in 1st qtr? Seems like when you score on 7 straight opening drives it would be us 

Yep it's NE with 8.5 points in the 1st quarter, followed by us at 8.2. Next team is 6.4. We beat NE on the offensive side by 3.6 and 1.8 points in the second and third quarter, respectively.

5 hours ago, dmo_dlo said:

You have a link for this?

9 hours ago, Asault86 said:

Edit: I shouldnt just say defensive playcalling. The playcalling on both sides turn into time eating playcalling. 

It's called "garbage time" because the game is out of hand and mathematically the opposition just cone back while the winning team allows cheap yards and points in return for timeouts and clock. If a game is close in the 4th it's not garbage time. It's still in the heat of battle. 

10 hours ago, FalconinPA said:

Yep, these clowns would never show the NFL sheep this stat. 

Fans from other teams are changing their perspective on Falcons. I was in philly last weekend wearing my Falcons gear. Many Eagles fans asked me if Falcons have any chance to win against vaunted SEA team. After the game they thought Falcons are dangerous offense with a mean defense. One guy said why didn't I hear about how great this offense had been all season long.