Falcons feed off Mohamed Sanu's 'authentic swag'

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/229222/falcons-feed-off-mohamed-sanus-authentic-swag

LOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Mohamed Sanu talks. And he talks. And he talks.

The Atlanta Falcons wide receiver has no problem trash talking anyone. Just watch one of those clips of him "Mic’d Up" during a game, like last week’s divisional matchup with Seattle when he had plenty to say to Seahawks cornerback Jeremy Lane.

"I told him he can’t guard me," Sanu shouted to the camera after hauling in a 3-yard touchdown reception over Lane.

Falcons free safety Ricardo Allen has heard it all before -- every single day in practice.

"Man, that’s all he does is talk," Allen said with a laugh. "You know, he’s the 'best' at everything he does. I guess it’s not arrogance, but it’s a high level of confidence. We love it because he brings juice to everybody else.

"It’s never a surprise because he’ll talk crap to anyone. You can put a DB, linebacker, or D-lineman against him, it doesn’t matter. The thing he says is, 'You can’t guard me,' with a little expletive thrown in there.’’

Talking smack to "anyone" includes wide receivers coach Raheem Morris. Attend a practice and you’ll get the uncensored version of Sanu and Morris giving each other the business.

"Mohamed is, without a doubt, loose," Morris said. "He’s almost loose sometimes where you have to reel him back in. But his attitude is awesome because he’s got authentic swagger. He’s got authentic, genuine love for football and cares about the game. His toughness is real. He brings that to the room. He brings a happy, delightful mood every day.

"No matter what’s going on, no matter what the circumstances are, no matter how you practice, how you look, how you play, he’s going to come back the next day the same guy. That’s­­­ what we genuinely love about the guy that he is."

And, by the way, Sanu can back up his talk with his play. He is a key figure as the Falcons head into this Sunday’s NFC Championship Game against the Green Bay Packers' banged up secondary. His role could be more significant if top target Julio Jones is limited by a foot sprain he aggravated in last Saturday’s 36-20 divisional playoff win over the Seahawks.

The Falcons signed Sanu to a five-year, $32.5 million contract ($14 million guaranteed) to be the ideal complement to Jones. And Sanu responded with a career-high 59 catches for 653 yards and four touchdowns on 79 targets during the regular season, with just one drop. All four of his touchdowns came in the red zone, where he caught nine passes on 11 targets.

Last week against Seattle, Sanu made tough catches, using his physicality to ward off defenders while showing great concentration, athleticism, and hands. The last time the Falcons played the Packers, in Week 8 of the regular season, Sanu had the game-winning, 11-yard touchdown from Matt Ryan.

"I wouldn’t say Mohamed is under the radar," Jones said. "They know. They watch film. They definitely see what Sanu can do on film. If not, they will see."

The sense of levity Sanu brings to the team is an added bonus. It’s helped strengthen the bond between an already tightly knit group. Sanu’s teammates get a kick out of watching him walk out to practice with his shorts hiked up as if he's wearing a diaper.

"It’s about letting your legs breathe," Sanu said with a serious look on his face.

Said Morris: "We don’t mess with his swag, man. We let those guys be themselves at whatever they do."

There's nothing wrong with having a little confidence. Sanu’s boastful but playful approach seems to have rubbed off on his teammates, in a good way.

4 minutes ago, ParanoidAndroid said:

Since no one said it...  Troffed.  

Sanu has all the measureables of a great receiver.  He reminds me of Jenkins but better hands.  He showcased all his workout and catching videos in the summer and about 99%of us were like "meh, I'll believe it when I see it". :lol:

Yuck. He's mountains better than Jenkins

5 minutes ago, ParanoidAndroid said:

Sure is.  I meant measureables.  Turns out Jenks was taller.  

Jenkins 6'4, 214lbs

Sanu 6'2, 210lbs 

Sanu is also a lot more versatile.  I'm still waiting for his first TD throw as a Falcon.  

Sanu is also not hot trash like Jenkins was lol

10 minutes ago, ParanoidAndroid said:

Jenkins 6'4, 214lbs

Sanu 6'2, 210lbs 

Sanu is also a lot more versatile.  I'm still waiting for his first TD throw as a Falcon.  

I've been waiting for that as well. Maybe they sneak it out Sunday. 

27 minutes ago, ParanoidAndroid said:

Jenkins 6'4, 214lbs

Sanu 6'2, 210lbs 

Jenkins was a 6'4 214lb sissy.  I've never seen a receiver that big play so small.

59 minutes ago, ltstorm2 said:

Jenkins was a 6'4 214lb sissy.  I've never seen a receiver that big play so small.

LOL.  So much Jenkins hate here. I saw him at the Hawks game on Friday with Roddy, Harry, and Finn.  Was gonna just say hi to Roddy but I must've been tipsy.  Ended up saying what's up to even Harry.  :ninja:

Just now, ParanoidAndroid said:

LOL.  So much Jenkins hate here. I saw him at the Hawks game on Friday with Roddy, Harry, and Finn.  Was gonna just say hi to Roddy but I must've been tipsy.  Ended up saying what's up to even Harry.  :ninja:

I like Harry.  Cool to see him hang out with his old friends.  Wonder how much time he spends with the Titans receivers.

He was my number 1 offseason wish (I didn't think we'd go after Mack due to cost or he would have been).  I'm so glad he's on this team.  He reminds me so much of Roddy, but he's faster and a little bigger.  Roddy probably played a hair more physical, but they're very much in the same mold.

Where Sanu is better than Roddy today is he can get separation and YAC, whereas Roddy had lost a step.  I think Gabriel is by far the best WR pickup we made in the offseason, but that's mostly because nobody expected anything from him and he's outproduced Sanu in TDs and come close in yards despite having 24 fewer receptions on 32 fewer targets.  But Sanu is a difference maker on this team for sure.

37 minutes ago, ParanoidAndroid said:

It's not hate. it's the truth, big difference. Dude had 1 career 100 yard game and that didn't come until year 8 smh. My grandmother could cover him man to man he was so bad