Jump to content

"The Witch is Dead, The Witch is Dead"


Nino11
 Share

Recommended Posts

As one general manager put it this season: "They have some excuses. Bennett and Thomas were hurt for a lot of the year. I'll give them that. But they don't scare you the same way they did [in 2013]. … I remember watching Peyton [Manning] in that Super Bowl. He had no idea how to attack them. None. They took everything away. It was complete domination."

 

Quote from the article. Remember who was the DC for the Seahawks for that season?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As much as I love this, let's not fool ourselves here, Seattle still has a great defense. When they're at full strength, they are one of the toughest stingiest defenses in the league. However, there in lies the problem. I've said this for a few years now, that Seattle was in trouble b/c, though they had built one of the best starting defensive units in all of football, it was only as great as the sum of its parts. When one of their key defensive members goes down, they are at tremendous disadvantage, as a hole is now opened where that player belonged. Seattle had multiple stellar defensive drafts in a row, and I credit them for that, but where they have failed is finding and coaching up players behind those starters, who can step up when one of the starters goes down. Now, maybe that's a lack of Culture or Scheme, maybe it's linked to Quinn's now absence, maybe they just haven't been drafting as well defensively, maybe it's a matter of pushing so hard for these specific starters that the backups aren't seeing the field enough to become stars themselves. I don't know. I'm really only speculating there, but there's a reason why Quinn preaches next man up. There's a reason why he preaches brotherhood. It's b/c no matter what happens, no matter who goes down, you still have to play, and you still have to play at a high level. A loss is a loss, and once it's in the record books, no amount of excuses b/c of injuries are going to change that.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, hjerry said:

As much as I love this, let's not fool ourselves here, Seattle still has a great defense. When they're at full strength, they are one of the toughest stingiest defenses in the league. However, there in lies the problem. I've said this for a few years now, that Seattle was in trouble b/c, though they had built one of the best starting defensive units in all of football, it was only as great as the sum of its parts. When one of their key defensive members goes down, they are at tremendous disadvantage, as a hole is now opened where that player belonged. Seattle had multiple stellar defensive drafts in a row, and I credit them for that, but where they have failed is finding and coaching up players behind those starters, who can step up when one of the starters goes down. Now, maybe that's a lack of Culture or Scheme, maybe it's linked to Quinn's now absence, maybe they just haven't been drafting as well defensively, maybe it's a matter of pushing so hard for these specific starters that the backups aren't seeing the field enough to become stars themselves. I don't know. I'm really only speculating there, but there's a reason why Quinn preaches next man up. There's a reason why he preaches brotherhood. It's b/c no matter what happens, no matter who goes down, you still have to play, and you still have to play at a high level. A loss is a loss, and once it's in the record books, no amount of excuses b/c of injuries are going to change that.

 

Early Thomas's and Richard Sherman's don't just grow on trees....but I get what your saying. Never since I've been a fan has injuries seemed not to matter as much as they do now. I mean I know we got hit with a bomb in 2013 but look at the resulting season. If our number one CB, number one LB, number one TE, and a key defensive line piece were out for the season vs Smetty I would be pretty nervous. It's like we just keep on trucking

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seattle greatly benefited from having a franchise QB on a mid-round rookie deal. The money they saved brought in great depth at several positions. When they had to pay Wilson, Chancellor, Sherman, and more, they had to make tough decisions. They lost depth on their defense and tried to field a budget-priced OL. Their window has closed.

Dallas has a similar opportunity with Dak and Zeke (and with Jaylon Smith coming next season). They're going to have good cheap young talent and a couple of years to put a fantastic team around them. But they have to jettison Romo and his contract to take advantage of it. Then, in about three years their bill will come due when their O-line will need new contracts and Zeke and Dak (and possibly Smith) will have presumably huge contracts comings. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Nino11 said:

Early Thomas's and Richard Sherman's don't just grow on trees....but I get what your saying. Never since I've been a fan has injuries seemed not to matter as much as they do now. I mean I know we got hit with a bomb in 2013 but look at the resulting season. If our number one CB, number one LB, number one TE, and a key defensive line piece were out for the season vs Smetty I would be pretty nervous. It's like we just keep on trucking

When your starting LBs are both out, then you start your backup SS at WLB.

Yeah, my point was that you have to be able to play at a high level regardless. A defense has to be able to adjust and win with scheme and culture over the value of a specific player. 

Whether that's a drafting problem for them, or a culture thing, or what, I don't know, but last I checked, our #1 CB was on IR, and our starting FS was a 5th round CB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, hjerry said:

When your starting LBs are both out, then you start your backup SS at WLB.

Yeah, my point was that you have to be able to play at a high level regardless. A defense has to be able to adjust and win with scheme and culture over the value of a specific player. 

Whether that's a drafting problem for them, or a culture thing, or what, I don't know, but last I checked, our #1 CB was on IR, and our starting FS was a 5th round CB.

Nobody gave us a pass on losing in 2012 even though our leading sacker was unavailable, amirite? It irritated me having to hear about Earl Thomas last week, especially knowing that Tru has been gone. Not once did anyone ask how the absence of our best DB would affect the game. Injuries are a part of the game. We can play 'what if' all day but in the end, I don't care whether we beat a fully stocked team or the Walking Dead. I just want to win.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Instead, what happened next is something that had never happened to Seattle's vaunted defense. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, the last time Seattle gave up a 99-yard drive was Oct. 14, 2002, long before any members of the Legion were even in the league.

And it wasn't just any 99-yard drive that led to a 19-10 halftime lead for Atlanta. It was 99 yards completely through the air. Nine passes called by the Falcons. Seven completed. Atlanta quarterback Matt Ryan not only proved his status as a Most Valuable Player candidate, he also beat the Seahawks at the thing they pride themselves on.

Pass defense.

BOOYAH!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, hjerry said:

When your starting LBs are both out, then you start your backup SS at WLB.

Yeah, my point was that you have to be able to play at a high level regardless. A defense has to be able to adjust and win with scheme and culture over the value of a specific player. 

Whether that's a drafting problem for them, or a culture thing, or what, I don't know, but last I checked, our #1 CB was on IR, and our starting FS was a 5th round CB.

It's a testament to the type of team Quinn is building. It's just different man

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

Seattle greatly benefited from having a franchise QB on a mid-round rookie deal. The money they saved brought in great depth at several positions. When they had to pay Wilson, Chancellor, Sherman, and more, they had to make tough decisions. They lost depth on their defense and tried to field a budget-priced OL. Their window has closed.

Dallas has a similar opportunity with Dak and Zeke (and with Jaylon Smith coming next season). They're going to have good cheap young talent and a couple of years to put a fantastic team around them. But they have to jettison Romo and his contract to take advantage of it. Then, in about three years their bill will come due when their O-line will need new contracts and Zeke and Dak (and possibly Smith) will have presumably huge contracts comings. 

Yep, and if you noticed what they were talking about what Seattle did.  Doesn't it remind you of us after the 2012 season?  We decided not to spend any money on the OL.  Matt Ryan suffered until this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GeorgiaFalconFan said:

I'm still trying to figure out why this thread isn't a TATF's POST??????  Especially considering the stature or importance of the Falcons upcoming game.

GO FALCONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm hoping I'm not that slow n u meant purple text

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Slappywhite said:

The  Seahawks downfall began with the Max Unger trade for  Jimmy Graham,  Unger was the anchor to the line and graham was never the same since he left New Orleans , they also gave up a number 1 pick that turned into stephan anthony,  been a downhill spiral since 

That and Marshawn being done 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/17/2017 at 1:44 PM, fuego said:

Instead, what happened next is something that had never happened to Seattle's vaunted defense. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, the last time Seattle gave up a 99-yard drive was Oct. 14, 2002, long before any members of the Legion were even in the league.

And it wasn't just any 99-yard drive that led to a 19-10 halftime lead for Atlanta. It was 99 yards completely through the air. Nine passes called by the Falcons. Seven completed. Atlanta quarterback Matt Ryan not only proved his status as a Most Valuable Player candidate, he also beat the Seahawks at the thing they pride themselves on.

Pass defense.

BOOYAH!!!

It looked so easy, like Matt was throwing against the Saints or Notre Dame.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/17/2017 at 2:44 PM, fuego said:

Instead, what happened next is something that had never happened to Seattle's vaunted defense. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, the last time Seattle gave up a 99-yard drive was Oct. 14, 2002, long before any members of the Legion were even in the league.

And it wasn't just any 99-yard drive that led to a 19-10 halftime lead for Atlanta. It was 99 yards completely through the air. Nine passes called by the Falcons. Seven completed. Atlanta quarterback Matt Ryan not only proved his status as a Most Valuable Player candidate, he also beat the Seahawks at the thing they pride themselves on.

Pass defense.

BOOYAH!!!

abd made it look easy,  I dont think anybody wearing red was surprised, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...