Two things for Falcons coaches to watch from GB/Dallas game

g-dawg

Two things to watch/learn from on study of Packers/Cowboys game:

1) For Kyle Shannahan/Matt Ryan/Falcons offense - watch the cornerbacks/safeties jumping the short Wide Receiver screen passes.  Micah Hyde did so brilliantly and helped widen the gap in the game at one point.

2) For Richard Smith/DQ/Falcons defense - do NOT rush 3 men against Aaron Rodgers.  Cowboys likely at least get to overtime had they rushed 4 guys on the fateful pass to Jared Cook on the sidelines.   I understand Aaron Rodgers can carve up an NFL defense no matter what you do, but if you make a mistake, at least make it while being aggressive.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, likeriver said:

I was rewatching the Packers game in October and they jumped the screen, luckily it wasn't picked. Packers defense overcompensates by trying to get turnovers it seems

Saw that as well. Even though i was watching an old game I cringed as if were happening now.

4 minutes ago, likeriver said:

I was rewatching the Packers game in October and they jumped the screen, luckily it wasn't picked. Packers defense overcompensates by trying to get turnovers it seems

yeah, I look for the Packers Defense to be overly aggressive in an attempt to create turnovers.  Straight-up, the Falcons offense against Packers Defense - especially Packers secondary decimated by injury - is a HUGE mismatch.   I am sure Packers HC/DC on down has told those guys to be overaggressive and don't worry if they make a mistake - Rodgers is viewed as the eraser - capable of offsetting defensive mistakes.

Frankly, it is a good strategy on the part of Packers as this game will probably turn on turnovers and both teams will likely score 30+.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

yeah, I look for the Packers Defense to be overly aggressive in an attempt to create turnovers.  Straight-up, the Falcons offense against Packers Defense - especially Packers secondary decimated by injury - is a HUGE mismatch.   I am sure Packers HC/DC on down has told those guys to be overaggressive and don't worry if they make a mistake - Rodgers is viewed as the eraser - capable of offsetting defensive mistakes.

Frankly, it is a good strategy on the part of Packers as this game will probably turn on turnovers and both teams will likely score 30+.

That's why we need to get some stops on defense early on so the Packers D doesn't feel safe to take risks

6 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

1) For Kyle Shannahan/Matt Ryan/Falcons offense - watch the cornerbacks/safeties jumping the short Wide Receiver screen passes.  Micah Hyde did so brilliantly and helped widen the gap in the game at one point.

2) For Richard Smith/DQ/Falcons defense - do NOT rush 3 men against Aaron Rodgers.  Cowboys likely at least get to overtime had they rushed 4 guys on the fateful pass to Jared Cook on the sidelines.   I understand Aaron Rodgers can carve up an NFL defense no matter what you do, but if you make a mistake, at least make it while being aggressive.

Thankfully, Gdawg, TMQ stays in base 4 Dline 90% of time . 3 man is suicide against Brady,  Brees, Rodgers and Wilson. I'm also glad Shannahan uses slip screens 20% of time compared to Koetter. I plan on watching the October game this week.

10 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

We rushed 3 against them in the 1st game because Beasley spied on those plays. He dropped behind the line and watched Rodgers. When Aaron took off the result was either a sack or an incomplete pass. 

As far as jumping the screens that was we error tipping the play off. Plus GB was in tighter coverage to even run that play. We run the screens when defenses are playing off coverage. That was a rookie mistake on Dak to not recognize that. 

Just now, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

That screen pass that got picked was an RPO.  It was actually a called run play.

Rookie mistake by Dak.  He should have stuck with the run in that short yardage.  Just one of the many examples yesterday of the Cowboys outthinking themselves.

Plus the corners were up tight. Dak should've recognized that. 

1 minute ago, TheFatboi said:

We rushed 3 against them in the 1st game because Beasley spied on those plays. He dropped behind the line and watched Rodgers. When Aaron took off the result was either a sack or an incomplete pass. 

Thank you.  Let the coaches coach.  Our staff knows what they are doing.

X_P7Ac.gif

Dallas doesn't have anyone who can run.  All those plays everyone gets dazzled by when Aaron extends a play.  They look a little differently when you've got defenders who can run.

2 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

As far as jumping the screens that was we error tipping the play off. Plus GB was in tighter coverage to even run that play. We run the screens when defenses are playing off coverage. That was a rookie mistake on Dak to not recognize that. 

For the most part, Matt has avoided those "WTF" throws this year that have plagued him in previous years.  Just hope that trend continues.   Obviously Matt has taken his game to another level this year.   Matt had two WTF throws against KC but that has been several weeks ago and Chiefs have much better passrush and overall defense than Pack.

10 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

X_P7Ac.gif

Dallas doesn't have anyone who can run.  All those plays everyone gets dazzled by when Aaron extends a play.  They look a little differently when you've got defenders who can run.

I love this clip. Relating it to Rodgers' game winning pass, did you notice they had a pulling guard when he rolled out? Durant was the "spy," and he got tangled up by the guard (can't remember name, Lang?) and that gave Rodgers' the time to roll out. I like that same play with Beasley being the spy and Even Deion Jones dropping back in the zone on Cook while Beasley harasses 

11 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

For the most part, Matt has avoided those "WTF" throws this year that have plagued him in previous years.  Just hope that trend continues.   Obviously Matt has taken his game to another level this year.   Matt had two WTF throws against KC but that has been several weeks ago and Chiefs have much better passrush and overall defense than Pack.

Yea his wtf int's are way down this year. Kyle puts him in good situations to make good decisions. I don't think he envisioned Berry playing chess with him as well as he did. Thankfully GB doesn't have a Berry caliber chess player on the backend. 

5 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

I love this clip. Relating it to Rodgers' game winning pass, did you notice they had a pulling guard when he rolled out? Durant was the "spy," and he got tangled up by the guard (can't remember name, Lang?) and that gave Rodgers' the time to roll out. I like that same play with Beasley being the spy and Even Deion Jones dropping back in the zone on Cook while Beasley harasses 

We were in man to man on this play. Deion just shadowed because his RB stayed in to block and Beasley shadowed Rodgers to shut the potential of running for 3 yards down. Rodgers is a good runner but he ain't Wilson lol. 

2 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Yea his wtf int's are way down this year. Kyle puts him in good situations to make good decisions. I don't think he envisioned Berry playing chess with him as well as he did. Thankfully GB doesn't have a Berry caliber chess player on the backend. 

Ryan admitted that, on the pick 2, that Berry was always somewhere else when he saw that defensive formation on film.

1 minute ago, TheFatboi said:

We were in man to man on this play. Deion just shadowed because his RB stayed in to block and Beasley shadowed Rodgers to shut the potential of running for 3 yards down. Rodgers is a good runner but he ain't Wilson lol. 

Yup. It was beautiful. Last night's game winner wouldn't have happened on us IMO

Deion is so fast and fluid, man. It's amazing watching him work sideline to sideline

2 minutes ago, red2play said:

You have to rush four AND have a spy who will run towards the outside of Rodgers running lanes.  Its a fact, if you press the GB receivers AND put pressure on Rodgers, you'll win.  If you lay back letting him bake cakes, your toast.

You do not. We rushed 3 in the 1st game with Beasley as the spy in man to man and the result was either a sack or an incomplete pass. If you rush 4 AND have a spy in man to man there will be a guy wide open. It's a numbers game. You've just taken an extra guy out of coverage. 

24 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

X_P7Ac.gif

Do you think they actually look back at that and realize that was the way to contain Rodgers (since we didn't the rest of the game) and will basically play him like we did that last series?

3 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

Yup. It was beautiful. Last night's game winner wouldn't have happened on us IMO

Deion is so fast and fluid, man. It's amazing watching him work sideline to sideline

Yep. If we run the exact same defense on that play in Dallas Rodgers is under duress from Beasley when he floats to the left trying to buy time and Deion there to clean up. Plus we would've been in man to man so cook wouldn't have been that open.