FS prospect nobody around here is talking about

Kayoh

Have y'all checked out Marcus Williams? I was just doing a mock draft and was looking at FS prospects for our 2nd rd pick, came across Marcus Williams. Dude is a playmaker. He'll be just turning 21 to start the NFL season this year, only turns 21 on Sept 8th, so super young. Declared already so we know he's in. Seems like he might get some hype around combine time, I'm guessing his broad jump is going to be kind of crazy. There's a little Ed Reed in him too with the way he just instinctively knows where the ball is going to go and starts breaking on it before the QB finishes his throwing motion. Also noticed he really doesn't get fooled or baited by QB's eyes or pump fakes. I'm really curious what y'all think of this kid, especially some of the other draft heads around here like @A-TowN.- and @Falcan Moore

He's been discussed a few times. I like him a lot. He has the rare range needed to play that true single high free safety. Has outstanding awareness. His progression from his freshman season shows he's coachable and puts the work in.

I love this safety class, I know Allen is a reliable starter but if we want an upgrade this is the draft to do it.

17 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

He's been discussed a few times. I like him a lot. He has the rare range needed to play that true single high free safety. Has outstanding awareness. His progression from his freshman season shows he's coachable and puts the work in.

I love this safety class, I know Allen is a reliable starter but if we want an upgrade this is the draft to do it.

I feel the same way about Allen. He's a reliable starter but if there's a sub-4.5 guy with a near 11' broad jump with the instincts that Williams shows on film and obvious coachability, you've gotta take that guy if he's there.

It all depends on what is available whenever we pick. I would like to see Eric Berry here personally. We can win with Allen, were not losing games because of him, but a more ball hawking single high would be great here. Between a D-lineman and a FS I say go D-line, then again I said that last year too.

9 hours ago, ike barn87987 said:

TBH I now believe DQ is gonna stick with Allen. I wanna upgrade too but it doesn't look like Allen is going anywhere. I am no longer mocking a FS.

I'm leaning towards not taking a FS in the 1st, but we can always add more depth/competition to the position in the 2nd or 3rd. I don't believe we will shy away from adding more talent at any position we are not set at.

On 1/16/2017 at 3:33 PM, Kayoh said:

Have y'all checked out Marcus Williams? I was just doing a mock draft and was looking at FS prospects for our 2nd rd pick, came across Marcus Williams. Dude is a playmaker. He'll be just turning 21 to start the NFL season this year, only turns 21 on Sept 8th, so super young. Declared already so we know he's in. Seems like he might get some hype around combine time, I'm guessing his broad jump is going to be kind of crazy. There's a little Ed Reed in him too with the way he just instinctively knows where the ball is going to go and starts breaking on it before the QB finishes his throwing motion. Also noticed he really doesn't get fooled or baited by QB's eyes or pump fakes. I'm really curious what y'all think of this kid, especially some of the other draft heads around here like @A-TowN.- and @Falcan Moore

For what its worth Scott Pioli was at the Utah v. IU bowl game (Foster Farms) scouting...Many good prospects in that game, including Williams, along with OL prospects for both teams and DL prospects for Utah

On 1/17/2017 at 2:07 PM, A-TowN.- said:

I really like Marcus. He's got some insane range and he's good at making plays in the box. Nice length and speed. I will say his ball skills could use work but other than that he's a top FS prospect. 

by ball skills, do you mean like in man coverage? Because in our scheme he'd be playing deep middle zone on pretty much every play.

On 1/17/2017 at 8:07 PM, A-TowN.- said:

I really like Marcus. He's got some insane range and he's good at making plays in the box. Nice length and speed. I will say his ball skills could use work but other than that he's a top FS prospect. 

A-Town I normally agree with everything you say but ball skills is one category he is not lacking on. If anything I would say he could work on his run support since he didn't show much of that in college.

11 hours ago, Cole World said:

A-Town I normally agree with everything you say but ball skills is one category he is not lacking on. If anything I would say he could work on his run support since he didn't show much of that in college.

I've seen him miss easy interceptions and miss his timing on jump balls. 

To be honest, I've come around on Allen. Don't take this as me thinking he can't be improved, but looking at the team there are other needs that need upgrading first. Replacement for Chester, more depth at DT (I'm interested in seeing how Hags moves forward, LEO. It'll also be interesting to see Shelby back.