The Obama Legacy

silentbob1272

Did he succeed or fail? Why specifically?

Are you better off today than you were eight years ago?

Has U.S. standing in the world improved?

Did he measure up on his campaign promises?

A challenge:

To the haters, his most impressive accomplishment, if any, minus Bin Laden, which we always fall back on?

To the huggers, his most dismal failure, if any, minus not closing Gitmo (yet) which you always fall back on?

Or just piss and moan about him, or continue to sing his praises.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mixed bag for me.

i am in a continuously growing industry so I didn't get much impact from his policies personally.  Job just removed the PPO option, which makes sense IMO.  Go to the doctor for what you need not for everything.  

Economy is better no matter how you slice it.  Issue is that the past 8 years has seen automation go up.  In IT, I know environments guys have got to be concerned about infrastructure as a service.  If you are willing to continue learning, you will always have a job.

world standing: Europe we are better, Middle East was a cluster fugg disaster.  Syria and Libya were horrible policy.  

Gay rights were in the right direction.  

I will be honest that early criticisms and the rhetoric were off putting to me.  McConnell and republicans just throwing a temper tantrum and saying no was terrible.  Which is why I tend to keep more quiet now with trump.  

ISIS and Healthcare. Not nearly the colossal failure on his particular part that his distractors would like to make it out be but your still left with the feeling ALOT more could have been done and Obama fumbled the ball politically speaking big on these issues, and while it may not have cost him specifically, the result is Trump is now president.

Also Obama is guilty of talking the right talk in things like privacy issues, how we deal with weaker if sometimes belligerent sovereign nations, etc and then doing something completely different.

18 minutes ago, Worzone said:

As a person who voted for him his first term i say he failed to have a good legacy

• More racial division under his watch.
  • The deficit climbed steadily higher under his watch to $441 Billion
  • He was incredibly anti-religious freedom imo. 
  • He was incredibly anti-Second Amendment. 
  • He was anti-First Amendment with the "fake news" thing wanting to limit what is seen or heard. 
  • His contribution to ISIS by continuing the failed policies of knocking down Middle Eastern Dictators
  • His handling of the Hostage Situation in Iran
  • His support of TPP
  • Obama care failed, and failed promises (You can keep your doctors)
  • Mass Shootings have increased under his watch
  • He encouraged Illegal Immigrants to vote
  • His foreign policy has overall been weak.
  • His Push toward globalism was a huge failure thankfully.
  • The social experiment is still failing. 

Racial division, I put that more on the internet and selective media coverage.

No idea what you expected on the second one, but the rate it is going up is lower than it has been in a long time (which probably gets brushed aside)

anti religious, I assume we are talking about provisions in Obamacare.  That I can somewhat get on board with.

Anti second amendment, so what action has been taken?

agreed on ISIS

Agreed on Hostage

TPP hard for me to have an opinion when the answers seem nuanced.

I kind of have to partly agree and partly disagree.  I know people (my brother in law) who wouldnt have healthcare without it.

dont know about that illegal immigrants plug

I can mostly get on board with that

mostly agree

no idea what this means.  I have seen a few social experiments that keep failing yet its been 30+ years for some of them

1 hour ago, silentbob1272 said:

Did he succeed or fail? Why specifically? Both.  Succeeded in reversing long term wage decline but failed miserably at protecting the rights of Americans.  History will not be kind to Obama IF we eventually get a leader that uses the powers he expanded to ruin our democracy.

Are you better off today than you were eight years ago? By a country mile, although this has more to do the efforts I put in to gain skills in my profession.

Has U.S. standing in the world improved?  I don't see how it couldn't after the disaster that was the Bush years.

Did he measure up on his campaign promises? **** NO

A challenge:

To the haters, his most impressive accomplishment, if any, minus Bin Laden, which we always fall back on?

To the huggers, his most dismal failure, if any, minus not closing Gitmo (yet) which you always fall back on?  His outright refusal to embrace the freedom and populist proposals that he hitched his campaigns to.  He did nothing with drug laws, nothing with the NSA and DEA, and sucked off the banks when it came time to act on the actions that ruined us in 2008.

Edited by mfaulk57158

1 minute ago, Worzone said:

I see where you are coming from.  I feel for the "dreamers".  You were brought over here against your will and are contributing to society yet unable to vote.  He shouldnt encourage them to vote, though it is not their fault.

should the "dreamers" just self deport themselves?

1 hour ago, silentbob1272 said:

Did he succeed or fail? Why specifically?

Are you better off today than you were eight years ago?

Has U.S. standing in the world improved?

Did he measure up on his campaign promises?

A challenge:

To the huggers, his most dismal failure, if any, minus not closing Gitmo (yet) which you always fall back on?

^^^ Fake News ^^^

47 minutes ago, Worzone said:

Im not sure i understand your use of dreamers?

I take dreamers as kids brought here by their parents when they were minors and have been here for a while and trying to contribute to society.  We tend to judge people by the worst of them.

22 minutes ago, Worzone said:

Thats rough.  On one hand to pull them from the only world they've ever know through no fault of their own is hard to think about

On the other hand allowing them to stay only further promotes others to illegally immigrate to give their children that same opportunity.

Don't fall for the bs. Trump is not going to deport Dreamers. CRIMINAL aliens will get the boot, and we will FINALLY strengthen border security. He has been very clear on this.

Trump Appears to Soften on Deporting Thousands of Young Immigrants

7 hours ago, lostone said:

I see where you are coming from.  I feel for the "dreamers".  You were brought over here against your will and are contributing to society yet unable to vote.  He shouldnt encourage them to vote, though it is not their fault.

should the "dreamers" just self deport themselves?

YES!

3 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I put so on in there just for that reason

Bull  ****. I don't believe that you believe fox is the "SCM", but if you do, then man up and include it on your list. Unless you don't want to upset your buddies that might also not consider Fox "the SCM."

While we're on this subject, your crew's stance on the media honestly hasn't changed since before this election. You guys (don't respond "who is you guys hyuck hyuck) never thought any of those outlets (except Fox News, which you all HILARIOUSLY for years argued wasn't part of the mainstream media despite dominating cable news ratings). Anytime any of those sources were cited here, you rolled your eyes and said it's just the mainstream/lamestream media and out right dismissed it, or DH would claim the mainstream media wasn't reporting some random story (and within seconds I could always find him multiple links to that exact story from CNN, CBS, etc . . .).

All you do now is say those outlets, in their entirety, publish "fake" news, and that sometime during 2016, they went from being privately held entities to state-owned entities (and you have zero proof of same). 

But keep on keepin' on. Y'all will have a new catch phrase before long, but nothing will have changed. 

3 hours ago, silentbob1272 said:

Don't fall for the bs. Trump is not going to deport Dreamers. CRIMINAL aliens will get the boot, and we will FINALLY strengthen border security. He has been very clear on this.

Trump Appears to Soften on Deporting Thousands of Young Immigrants

So basically trump is going to carry on Obamas legacy?? 

Because that is exactly what has happened.

Not only has Obama deported nearly 3 million people most of whom have criminal records....the border has received more money and more personel than any point in several decades

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/04/obamas-numbers-april-2016-update/

"Under Obama, the number of agents increased even more, and it has remained above that level despite recent spending cuts. The number of agents was 20,273 in fiscal year 2015"

39 minutes ago, Worzone said:

Ya theres no good answer here. Its difficult to imagine punishing children who are now grown for their parents actions...yet

Allowing them to remain only rewards law breakers an encourages more to do so and more to desire to stay with their children becausenits inhumane to break up a family across countries by force.

So what do you do? You have to first stop illegal immigration. Bar non that must be top priority.

A solution could be that anyone who crossed illegallly and is of acceptable age must serve a term in the military and they can stay and earn their citizenship that way since they breached our nation as criminals. 

I agree and never got the democrats reasoning on this. Well I did, they were being political twats who never wanted a solution.

Plug the leak, then bail the water.