Pass Rush

atlbaby

Freeney was playing with a quad tear the last time we played the Packers in week 8, but the previous two times he played them he had success. Look for him to do the same this Sunday, but in the mean time enjoy the spin move he helped Reed with.

Freeney previous two games against the Packers prior to week 8. (4 sacks and 1 FF)

Since joining the Cardinals in mid-October, Freeney has shown he still can get to the quarterback.

The 35-year-old outside linebacker, in his 14th NFL season, has nine sacks in his 12 games with the team, including one last week in Arizona's 26-20 overtime playoff win over Green Bay.

''Dwight's a pro's pro,'' defensive James Bettcher said. ''The first day he's here, he's in there watching tape. He's prepping himself. He's there early every morning. He's here late every day.''

Freeney matched his career best of three sacks in Arizona's 38-8 rout of Green Bay in the next-to-last game of the regular season. On one sack he stripped the ball from Aaron Rodgers and the Cardinals' Jerraud Powers returned it for a touchdown.

For the effort, Freeney was selected the NFC defensive player of the week.

I thought Reid was great against the seachickens. Reid is as good as Clayborn when healthy. I think we will be fine. GB has like no pass rush. Literally the only thing GB has is Rodgers and some WRs. Their defense is below average and they have no run game. I dont know how they have gotten this far. Typically you must have a semblance of a run game in January football. The Falcons do..but so did dallas. Going to be a tough game.

7 minutes ago, QuinnTorris said:

They get away with murderous holds. It's ridiculous really. 

Everyone gets away with holds. This is one penalty I just don't get people complaining about. Unless you want flag football, you should get used to holding. Packers just have a good OL.

I see it in game threads on other teams about our line holding too. Sometimes the really egregious ones get called (less on Beasley than I'd like) but it is what it is.

As long as the game is called evenly we'll be ok.

1 hour ago, Nono said:

This is a huge factor in the game. We have to not only get to Rodgers but keep the pressure up. We all know what he in capable of if we give him too much time.

Rodgers is going to get his. He's too good to be shut out from making *any* plays. The key is to keep up enough consistent pressure that he also makes mistakes, which is something he does too. 

Against Dallas he made some ridiculously good throws, but also made several bad ones. His INT was a horrible pass, missed an open receiver by more than two yards and the safety made a play.

The Falcons front seven has to force him into some bad decisions and the secondary has to take advantage of those mistakes. 

11 minutes ago, red2play said:

We are going to have to have blitz packages and have the line contain Aaron Rodgers.  The receivers for GB suck and can't get open so AR just rolls around in the backfield until one of them gets freed up.  You MUST have pressure to stop AR.

Blitzing would not be a good idea as Rodgers thrives on that. Quinn might mix it up by sending a corner or safety with 3 lineman, but I don't think you will see more than 4 players rushing at one given time.

47 minutes ago, AndySG said:

Packers offensive line tends to be pretty good in pass protection. Bakhtiari's health could be key. 

Rodgers has a lot to do with that with his ability to extend plays. The good thing is they are not good run blockers. If we can limits TDs when they get to the redzone we should be able win handily 

43 minutes ago, red2play said:

We are going to have to have blitz packages and have the line contain Aaron Rodgers.  The receivers for GB suck and can't get open so AR just rolls around in the backfield until one of them gets freed up.  You MUST have pressure to stop AR.

We don't blitz much, it's mostly d line stunts to me. As others said in other thread we press and Dallas plays off man or zone. You have to disrupt the timing of the West coast.

1 hour ago, red2play said:

I was encouraged in the Seattle game that DQ sent a couple of blitzes and four man rushes with a spy.  That was a departure and it worked.  I remember Campbell spying more than Vic but I think they rotated the spy.

3 minutes ago, sonnyjim said:

I was encouraged in the Seattle game that DQ sent a couple of blitzes and four man rushes with a spy.  That was a departure and it worked.  I remember Campbell spying more than Vic but I think they rotated the spy.

I may be mistaken but I thought I also saw Neal spy a couple of times

1 hour ago, red falcon said:

We don't blitz much, it's mostly d line stunts to me. As others said in other thread we press and Dallas plays off man or zone. You have to disrupt the timing of the West coast.

But when the Dallas DBs did press, the Packers receivers could not separate from them. I can see Rocky, Collins, Poole, Goodwin muggin those guys.