Jump to content

Takk McKinley Promises To Run a 4.4 For His 40 Yard Dash @ NFL Combine


Arkridge
 Share

Recommended Posts

Bold claim. I remember Shane Ray (who was a well liked draft prospect on this forum) saying he'd run a 4.4 but he couldn't make it happen. I wonder if McKinley has a better chance than he does. I doubt we'll be able to land someone like Solomon Thomas or Tim Williams. I think Takk McKinley may be more in our range but if he runs a 4.4 he'll likely be over drafted. What do you guys think?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Bobby.Digital said:

On my list but haven't gotten time to really study him. One thing that stood out in the few times I have watched him is his burst.  It's freakishly good. 

Best burst in the draft by far in my opinion. Kind of light in the ***, I know alot of people would prefer more of a power rusher opposite Vic but I really like McKinley's fit in this system if he can put on weight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Scott Carasik said:

Love McKinley in the 2nd round based on his tape. If he shows a good burst off the line like he does on his film in his 1st 10, I couldn't care less what the 40 time is. I'm more interested in shuttle and cone and him coming in around 245-250 at the combine.

No way he lasts that long, especially with a good combine. The draft is deep with pass rushers so I think we can land a good one but pass rushers are always over drafted because of how hot a commodity they are. We won't be able to wait on someone like this til our 2nd rounder especially with how far back we'll be picking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Arkridge said:

Judging by his frame it looks like he's got the room to add on 15-20 pounds though. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him in the high 240s, low 250s by the combine.

his frame? He's 6'2...that's the concern, not the weight. Edge rushers shorter than 6'2.5" almost NEVER succeed in the NFL for some reason. I've got a sample size of 123 edge rushers drafted from '03 to '12, with 32 of them being 6'2.5" or shorter, and only 2 have been even remotely successful in the NFL - Brandon Graham and Melvin Ingram. Both guys were super late bloomers and the "sack ceiling" between the two of them was Ingram's 2015 10.5 sack season. Short edge rushers do NOT do well in the league. At LEO you'd ideally want a guy 6'4 or taller.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

his frame? He's 6'2...that's the concern, not the weight.

Looking at his stat write ups online, I thought the issue people had with him was the weight but everywhere I look has him at 250 or over. I don't see the height as a big concern when taking into account the other factors he brings to the table but I can see why you'd see it as concerning. I feel like he's alot stouter at the point of attack than someone like Tim Williams, who's like 6'4.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Arkridge said:

Looking at his stat write ups online, I thought the issue people had with him was the weight but everywhere I look has him at 250 or over. I don't see the height as a big concern when taking into account the other factors he brings to the table but I can see why you'd see it as concerning. I feel like he's alot stouter at the point of attack than someone like Tim Williams, who's like 6'4.

Sorry, I edited my post. Here's the rest of it:

7 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

Edge rushers shorter than 6'2.5" almost NEVER succeed in the NFL for some reason. I've got a sample size of 123 edge rushers drafted from '03 to '12, with 32 of them being 6'2.5" or shorter, and only 2 have been even remotely successful in the NFL - Brandon Graham and Melvin Ingram. Both guys were super late bloomers and the "sack ceiling" between the two of them was Ingram's 2015 10.5 sack season. Short edge rushers do NOT do well in the league. At LEO you'd ideally want a guy 6'4 or taller.

also Tim Williams is exactly 1" taller than Tak (6031 vs. 6021) but he's also 23 years old which is another concern entirely

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

Sorry, I edited my post. Here's the rest of it:

also Tim Williams is exactly 1" taller than Tak (6031 vs. 6021) but he's also 23 years old which is another concern entirely

I wasn't aware of those stats, that's very interesting actually. Given the fact that I'm sure you take your compiled data heavily into account when looking at prospects, who's your EDGE prospect if that's indeed the route we go in the 1st round?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Arkridge said:

I wasn't aware of those stats, that's very interesting actually. Given the fact that I'm sure you take your compiled data heavily into account when looking at prospects, who's your EDGE prospect if that's indeed the route we go in the 1st round?

I have no clue. The only one on my radar right now is Tanoh Kpassagnon but I don't think he's going to test very well so he might fall off my radar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kayoh said:

his frame? He's 6'2...that's the concern, not the weight. Edge rushers shorter than 6'2.5" almost NEVER succeed in the NFL for some reason. I've got a sample size of 123 edge rushers drafted from '03 to '12, with 32 of them being 6'2.5" or shorter, and only 2 have been even remotely successful in the NFL - Brandon Graham and Melvin Ingram. Both guys were super late bloomers and the "sack ceiling" between the two of them was Ingram's 2015 10.5 sack season. Short edge rushers do NOT do well in the league. At LEO you'd ideally want a guy 6'4 or taller.

Beasley is doing fine at Leo at 6'3".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Psychic Gibbon said:

They're in nickel in over 50% of their plays so I don't get why you keep making it an issue as if it's an exceptional situation.

every team is in nickel over 50% of plays but there's still a difference between OLB and DE and Vic is an OLB for us while he was more of a DE last year when everyone thought he was a bust.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Psychic Gibbon said:

Though as long as we're on the subject in this thread:

McKinley reminds me a lot of Antony Barr, another player I was less than enthusiastic about as an edge rusher. However, he has found a home as a 4-3 OLB in the NFL so, if the Falcons draft him, I wouldn't be surprised if they plugged him in at Sam.

Vic is our sam ffs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Kayoh said:

every team is in nickel over 50% of plays but there's still a difference between OLB and DE and Vic is an OLB for us while he was more of a DE last year when everyone thought he was a bust.

He did well early on until he tore his labrum. It was a ****** situation for him but it's not his problem that fans overreact to everything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...