Kevin Seifert Is an Idiot

FalconAge

This is how his big post-win column begins:

ATLANTA -- OK, Matt Ryan.

You're up.

This is your time.

It took you nine years to get this far. In a week, you'll play in your first NFC Championship Game. The winner will advance to Super Bowl LI in Houston. These opportunities don't come often. Your Atlanta Falcons? They have advanced this far only four times in their 51-season history.

I'm not usually one to get his jimmies rustled by national media but this is just lazy

You want bad? Here's a "recap" direct from Walterfootball:

At this point I go to his site just to get a laugh at how many ways he can not acknowledge us. It's baffling. 

falconsb_logo.gif seahawksb_logo.gif 
 Falcons 36, Seahawks 20 

• Despite what this score says, it appeared as though the Seahawks were going to take complete control of this game in the second quarter. Up 10-7, Devin Hester sprinted for a long punt return, taking the ball back inside Atlanta's 20-yard line. Seattle was going to have a great chance to take a 17-7 lead, but a holding penalty was called on Kevin Pierre-Louis on the return. The penalty was probably correct, but the hold didn't have anything to do with the play. As a result of the hold, the Seahawks were pinned inside their own 5-yard line. Their backup right guard, playing in place of the injured Germain Ifedi, stepped on Russell Wilson's foot, resulting in a safety. The Falcons then took the lead with a field goal on the ensuing possession, and they never looked back. 

The end result of this game was definitely misleading, but what's not is Atlanta's yardage total. The Falcons accumulated 422 net yards of offense, as the Seahawks had absolutely no answer for anything Atlanta was doing. Earl Thomas was clearly missed, and it didn't help that No. 2 cornerback Deshawn Shead was knocked out of the game when his knee buckled while trying to cover Taylor Gabriel. The Atlanta receiver actually pushed off, and Shead went down instantly. It's unclear why offensive pass interference wasn't called. The Falcons were flagged just twice all game. Hopefully official Gene Steratore makes great use of his new yacht. 

With Seattle's defense struggling big time, Matt Ryan torched the formerly dominant Legion of Boom with ease. Ryan went 26-of-37 for 338 yards and three touchdowns. He validated his possible MVP status, as the Seahawks couldn't do anything to slow him down. They didn't put much pressure on him, and even when they did, he still found open receivers, punishing them for blitzing him. Even when Julio Jones was knocked out, Ryan still torched Seattle's secondary mercilessly. Atlanta punted just once in meaningful action. 

• Speaking of Jones, he left the game temporarily on the opening drive of the third quarter with a toe injury, as he was hobbling around on the sideline. Jones reentered the game, but left prior to the end of regulation. I imagine he still would've played had the contest not gotten out of hand, but it still has to be disconcerting for the Falcons. They'll obviously need Jones to beat a tougher opponent in the NFC Championship. Jones caught six passes for 67 yards and a touchdown. He also dropped a pass. His score, the first of the game for the Falcons, was an obvious pass interference call - blocking downfield prior to the ball being released - that Steratore didn't call for some reason. The FOX announcers, including Mike Pereira, were befuddled as to why no flagged was tossed. 

• If Jones is hobbled next week, the other receivers will obviously have to pick up the slack. Gabriel (4-71) was top wideout producer as far as yardage is concerned, while Mohamed Sanu (4-44) found the end zone. Running backs Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman were big factors as receivers as well. Freeman hauled in four balls for 80 yards, while Coleman snatched three passes for 22 yards and a touchdown. 

Speaking of Freeman and Coleman, they ran well versus the Seahawks, which was surprising. Freeman (14-45, TD) and Coleman (11-57) combined to eclipse the century mark. 

• Atlanta moves on to the NFC Championship. It'll either host the Packers or travel to Dallas. If the Cowboys beat Green Bay, this will have been the final game in the Georgia Dome. 

• As for the Seahwks, they were hot offensively early on, as they engineered a 14-play touchdown drive to start the game. The possession lasted 8:34. There were some great runs, while Russell Wilson was precise. However, bad luck ensued; the Ifedi injury, the aforementioned penalty on the Hester return, and Wilson falling down all hurt. Then, Atlanta held the ball forever, and Seattle's offensive chances were limited as a result. The Seahawks' decision to punt on one occasion on a fourth-and-1 from around their own 40-yard line also hurt. They pinned the Falcons down at the 1-yard line, but Ryan put together a 99-yard touchdown drive. 

Wilson went 17-of-30 for 225 yards, two touchdowns and a couple of interceptions in garbage time, one of which should've been called a reception down by contact. Wilson played well, but once again had issues on the offensive line. He constantly had to run out of the pocket, and many of his incompletions were thrown away. 

• If there's a silver lining for the Seahawks, it's that they may have found something in Paul Richardson. The young wideout had a terrific performance last week, and he led the team in receiving at Atlanta. He caught four passes for 83 yards, and he nearly came up with a 50-yard bomb in the fourth quarter, but the ball barely hit the ground. The officials initially ruled it a reception, but it was correctly reversed after review. Richardson also appeared to score a touchdown early, but replay review saw that he was touched. 

Elsewhere, Doug Baldwin (5-80) and Jimmy Graham (3-22) both caught touchdowns. Outside of those two, Richardson and Alex Collins, no other Seahawk logged multiple receptions. 

• The Seahawks, as mentioned, ran well early, but they had to abandon the ground game by the third quarter. Rawls gained 34 yards on 11 carries. He had just three attempts following halftime. 

• Seattle moves into the offseason desperately needing to address the offensive line. I have the team taking a tackle in my 2017 NFL Mock Draft. A better pass rush is also needed. 

And here's his "analysis" of us heading into the game:

I actually called it before any game was played that no matter who we faced, he'd pick us to lose.

seahawksb_logo.gif falconsb_logo.gif 
Seattle Seahawks (11-5-1) at Atlanta Falcons (11-5) 
Line: Falcons by 6.5. Total: 51. 

Walt's Projected Line: Falcons -2.5. 
 Saturday, Jan. 7, 4:35 ET 
Comment on this game 

The Game. Edge: Seahawks. 

WEEK 18 RECAP: A solid start to the playoffs. I didn't love anything last weekend, but I did take the Packers and Steelers for three and two units, respectively. I lost half of a unit on the Raiders, but I don't mind that because I decreased that wager from two units to a half when I learned that Donald Penn was out. I should've just gone to zero. 

I'll say that I love two games this week, so it should make for a more exciting weekend. 

Anyway, I'm not listing overrated and underrated teams this week because they're pretty much the same, and most of the teams aren't in the playoffs anymore (i.e. the overrated Giants lost). Check out my NFL Power Rankings if you wish to re-read them. 

ATLANTA OFFENSE: I have a feeling Matt Ryan will win the MVP award, and if he does, I wouldn't be upset about it, though I'd give it to Aaron Rodgers. Still, Ryan had an excellent season, and if you replace him with a middling quarterback, the Falcons almost certainly wouldn't have made the playoffs. That makes him a great runner-up, as far as I'm concerned. However, I wouldn't be all too confident that Ryan will end up with more playoff victories than Rodgers this year, given this matchup. 

Ryan generated 335 yards and three total touchdowns in the Week 6 meeting at Seattle, but most of that came in the second half when the Falcons were down big in the early going. Earl Thomas is out, but Kam Chancellor wasn't available in the prior matchup, so I think that's a wash. Richard Sherman should be able to cover Julio Jones well, so Ryan will have to get his other targets involved. Taylor Gabriel hit some big plays versus lesser opponents, but the Seahawks will be prepared for him. 

It's all going to be about Ryan because the Seahawks contain the run extremely well. Don't expect much out of Devonta Freeman, who was limited to just 40 yards on 12 carries in the first meeting. Seattle's linebackers also did a great job on Freeman as a receiver out of the backfield; his three catches went for just 10 yards, which was a season-low for him in yards per reception. 

SEATTLE OFFENSE: Everyone who has paid attention to the NFL knows that the Seahawks' offensive line has struggled this year, but they did a great job of run blocking versus the Lions. Pass protection has obviously been an issue for them, but a suddenly healthy Thomas Rawls gained 161 yards on 27 carries last week. Granted, the Lions are very weak to the run, but the same can be said about Seattle's opponent this week. The Falcons have been beaten up in the trenches against physical teams this season. They haven't played many foes like that, but the two most recent teams that love to grind opponents out, the Eagles and Chiefs, were able to bully Atlanta around. Ryan Mathews had one of his best performances this year versus Atlanta, and Rawls figures to have similar success. 

The Falcons also don't have a consistent pass rush. Vic Beasley has been great in his sophomore campaign, but that's about it. Russell Wilson didn't face much pressure in the second half of last week's victory, and I expect that to be the case once again this week, as Atlanta just doesn't have the overall talent up front to fully expose Seattle's poor blocking. 

With that in mind, I expect Wilson to have a great game. The Falcons have lost top cornerback Desmond Trufant, yet they haven't really been exposed in that regard. Doug Baldwin figures to perform well, as does Jimmy Graham, given that the Falcons have struggled versus tight ends all year. 

RECAP: I've been harping about two teams being overrated for most of the season: the Giants and the Falcons. The former lost last week, and I expect the latter to go down this weekend. 

The Falcons haven't been tested at all since losing their No. 1 corner. They were hot to end the season, but following their loss to the Chiefs, they've beaten the Rams, 49ers, Panthers (who were playing on four days of rest) and the Saints. Drew Brees was the one competent quarterback they've played since the Trufant injury, and if that game had been extended by a few minutes, New Orleans probably would've prevailed because the Falcons had no answer for Brees in the second half. I'm expecting something similar out of Wilson. 

I also don't agree with this spread. I made it Falcons -2.5. Atlanta has a poor home-field advantage. The Falcons are 15-16 straight up, 13-18 against the spread as hosts over the past three years. Take a look at what they've done at home this year versus decent opposition (i.e. not the 49ers)... 

Loss SU and ATS to Buccaneers 
Win SU and ATS vs. Panthers 
Loss SU and ATS to Chargers 
Win SU and Loss ATS vs. Packers 
Win SU and ATS vs. Cardinals 
Loss SU and ATS to Chiefs 
Win SU and Loss ATS to Saints 

Given that the Packers weren't quite themselves back in Week 8, none of those teams, except for the Chiefs, are remotely close to the Seahawks. The Falcons clearly don't deserve a field goal for being at home, and these teams are close in overall talent, so why is this spread -4.5? That really makes no sense to me. 

I'm betting Seattle for four units. My only concern is wagering heavily on the team with the inferior offensive line, but we're getting plenty of points with the Seahawks, who generally play games closely. All but one of their losses this year have been by single digits, so even if they're down, Wilson will have a chance to score a back-door touchdown, which we've just seen the Falcons surrender. 

THURSDAY THOUGHTS: This spread is up to +5, but that's inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. It appears to be sharp money moving this line up, but as I theorized on the podcast, this could be smart money trying to manipulate the line so that the pros can bet on Seahawks +6. I'm going to be monitoring this spread, and if it hits +6, I'll lock it in pretty quickly. 

FINAL THOUGHTS: I said I would lock in this pick if the line hit +6. Just kidding! This spread soared past +6 very quickly and went to +6.5. Now, I'm closely monitoring for a +7 line. I'll definitely lock that in ASAP at five units. At +6.5, I'm still on the Seahawks for four units. More often than not, you're going to win when taking a great quarterback with this many points, plus being above six gives us overtime insurance. Seattle's offensive line bothers me, but the Falcons don't have a great pass rush. I could actually see Atlanta being up by a couple of scores in this game, only to have Wilson come back and either cover or win. 

The Psychology. Edge: None. 
No edge found. 

The Vegas. Edge: Seahawks. star.gif 
There's sharp money coming in on the Falcons.

• Percentage of money on Atlanta: 65% (45,000 bets) 

The Trends. Edge: Seahawks.
  • Seahawks are 20-7 ATS in Week 11 or later since 2013.
  • Russell Wilson is 12-4 ATS as an underdog.
  • Seahawks are 32-44 ATS on the road since 2006 if they're not coming off an away loss.
  • Seahawks are 8-15 ATS on the road vs. teams that average 24+ ppg since 2007.
  • Opening Line: Falcons -3.5.
  • Opening Total: 49.5.
  • Weather: . 

Week 19 NFL Pick: Seahawks 30, Falcons 27
    Seahawks +6.5 (4 Units) -- Incorrect; -$440 
     Over 51 (0 Units) -- Correct; $0 
     Falcons 36, Seahawks 20 

2 minutes ago, hjerry said:

The end result of this game was definitely misleading, but what's not is Atlanta's yardage total. The Falcons accumulated 422 net yards of offense, as the Seahawks had absolutely no answer for anything Atlanta was doing. Earl Thomas was clearly missed, and it didn't help that No. 2 cornerback Deshawn Shead was knocked out of the game when his knee buckled while trying to cover Taylor Gabriel. The Atlanta receiver actually pushed off, and Shead went down instantly. It's unclear why offensive pass interference wasn't called. The Falcons were flagged just twice all game. Hopefully official Gene Steratore makes great use of his new yacht. 

15027095.jpg

The whole world will be laughing at these Aholes soon...their blatant hate for all things Atlanta and doing everything in their minimal power to gloss over our achievements is going to back fire on them. I eagerly await the day they have to bow down and kiss the Falcon's arses to continue to be relevant. 

So Seattle has the ball inside their 5 yard line and it ends with a safety(this was somehow the turning point..roll eyes).

Atlanta has the ball on their 1 yard line..and they drive 99 yards to score a TD.

The game was not even close. At one point it was 36-13 with about 5:00 to go.

I saw an Atlanta team that was not phrased AT ALL by Seattle's opening drive.  They remained focused, poised and took care of business!

Haven't seen an Atlanta team like this(Maybe ever). There's was a point in the game where Julio seemed to get angry. The whole team turned up the aggression.

20 minutes ago, hjerry said:

I actually called it before any game was played that no matter who we faced, he'd pick us to lose.

Comment on this game 

The Game. Edge: Seahawks. 

WEEK 18 RECAP: A solid start to the playoffs. I didn't love anything last weekend, but I did take the Packers and Steelers for three and two units, respectively. I lost half of a unit on the Raiders, but I don't mind that because I decreased that wager from two units to a half when I learned that Donald Penn was out. I should've just gone to zero. 

I'll say that I love two games this week, so it should make for a more exciting weekend. 

Anyway, I'm not listing overrated and underrated teams this week because they're pretty much the same, and most of the teams aren't in the playoffs anymore (i.e. the overrated Giants lost). Check out my NFL Power Rankings if you wish to re-read them. 

ATLANTA OFFENSE: I have a feeling Matt Ryan will win the MVP award, and if he does, I wouldn't be upset about it, though I'd give it to Aaron Rodgers. Still, Ryan had an excellent season, and if you replace him with a middling quarterback, the Falcons almost certainly wouldn't have made the playoffs. That makes him a great runner-up, as far as I'm concerned. However, I wouldn't be all too confident that Ryan will end up with more playoff victories than Rodgers this year, given this matchup. 

Ryan generated 335 yards and three total touchdowns in the Week 6 meeting at Seattle, but most of that came in the second half when the Falcons were down big in the early going. Earl Thomas is out, but Kam Chancellor wasn't available in the prior matchup, so I think that's a wash. Richard Sherman should be able to cover Julio Jones well, so Ryan will have to get his other targets involved. Taylor Gabriel hit some big plays versus lesser opponents, but the Seahawks will be prepared for him. 

It's all going to be about Ryan because the Seahawks contain the run extremely well. Don't expect much out of Devonta Freeman, who was limited to just 40 yards on 12 carries in the first meeting. Seattle's linebackers also did a great job on Freeman as a receiver out of the backfield; his three catches went for just 10 yards, which was a season-low for him in yards per reception. 

SEATTLE OFFENSE: Everyone who has paid attention to the NFL knows that the Seahawks' offensive line has struggled this year, but they did a great job of run blocking versus the Lions. Pass protection has obviously been an issue for them, but a suddenly healthy Thomas Rawls gained 161 yards on 27 carries last week. Granted, the Lions are very weak to the run, but the same can be said about Seattle's opponent this week. The Falcons have been beaten up in the trenches against physical teams this season. They haven't played many foes like that, but the two most recent teams that love to grind opponents out, the Eagles and Chiefs, were able to bully Atlanta around. Ryan Mathews had one of his best performances this year versus Atlanta, and Rawls figures to have similar success. 

The Falcons also don't have a consistent pass rush. Vic Beasley has been great in his sophomore campaign, but that's about it. Russell Wilson didn't face much pressure in the second half of last week's victory, and I expect that to be the case once again this week, as Atlanta just doesn't have the overall talent up front to fully expose Seattle's poor blocking. 

With that in mind, I expect Wilson to have a great game. The Falcons have lost top cornerback Desmond Trufant, yet they haven't really been exposed in that regard. Doug Baldwin figures to perform well, as does Jimmy Graham, given that the Falcons have struggled versus tight ends all year. 

RECAP: I've been harping about two teams being overrated for most of the season: the Giants and the Falcons. The former lost last week, and I expect the latter to go down this weekend. 

The Falcons haven't been tested at all since losing their No. 1 corner. They were hot to end the season, but following their loss to the Chiefs, they've beaten the Rams, 49ers, Panthers (who were playing on four days of rest) and the Saints. Drew Brees was the one competent quarterback they've played since the Trufant injury, and if that game had been extended by a few minutes, New Orleans probably would've prevailed because the Falcons had no answer for Brees in the second half. I'm expecting something similar out of Wilson. 

I also don't agree with this spread. I made it Falcons -2.5. Atlanta has a poor home-field advantage. The Falcons are 15-16 straight up, 13-18 against the spread as hosts over the past three years. Take a look at what they've done at home this year versus decent opposition (i.e. not the 49ers)... 

Loss SU and ATS to Buccaneers 
Win SU and ATS vs. Panthers 
Loss SU and ATS to Chargers 
Win SU and Loss ATS vs. Packers 
Win SU and ATS vs. Cardinals 
Loss SU and ATS to Chiefs 
Win SU and Loss ATS to Saints 

Given that the Packers weren't quite themselves back in Week 8, none of those teams, except for the Chiefs, are remotely close to the Seahawks. The Falcons clearly don't deserve a field goal for being at home, and these teams are close in overall talent, so why is this spread -4.5? That really makes no sense to me. 

I'm betting Seattle for four units. My only concern is wagering heavily on the team with the inferior offensive line, but we're getting plenty of points with the Seahawks, who generally play games closely. All but one of their losses this year have been by single digits, so even if they're down, Wilson will have a chance to score a back-door touchdown, which we've just seen the Falcons surrender. 

THURSDAY THOUGHTS: This spread is up to +5, but that's inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. It appears to be sharp money moving this line up, but as I theorized on the podcast, this could be smart money trying to manipulate the line so that the pros can bet on Seahawks +6. I'm going to be monitoring this spread, and if it hits +6, I'll lock it in pretty quickly. 

FINAL THOUGHTS: I said I would lock in this pick if the line hit +6. Just kidding! This spread soared past +6 very quickly and went to +6.5. Now, I'm closely monitoring for a +7 line. I'll definitely lock that in ASAP at five units. At +6.5, I'm still on the Seahawks for four units. More often than not, you're going to win when taking a great quarterback with this many points, plus being above six gives us overtime insurance. Seattle's offensive line bothers me, but the Falcons don't have a great pass rush. I could actually see Atlanta being up by a couple of scores in this game, only to have Wilson come back and either cover or win. 

The Psychology. Edge: None. 
No edge found. 

The Vegas. Edge: Seahawks. star.gif 
There's sharp money coming in on the Falcons.

• Percentage of money on Atlanta: 65% (45,000 bets) 

• Seahawks are 32-44 ATS on the road since 2006 if they're not coming off an away loss.

Falcons 36, Seahawks 20 

wrong-wrong-wrong-wrong-o.gif

giphy.gif

26 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Falcons 36, Seahawks 20 

giphy.gif

39 minutes ago, hjerry said:
  • 1.  Despite what this score says, it appeared as though the Seahawks were going to take complete control of this game in the second quarter.
  • 2. Up 10-7, Devin Hester sprinted for a long punt return, taking the ball back inside Atlanta's 20-yard line. Seattle was going to have a great chance to take a 17-7 lead, but a holding penalty was called on Kevin Pierre-Louis on the return. The penalty was probably correct, but the hold didn't have anything to do with the play.
  • 3. The end result of this game was definitely misleading, but what's not is Atlanta's yardage total. The Falcons accumulated 422 net yards of offense, as the Seahawks had absolutely no answer for anything Atlanta was doing.
  • 4. The Atlanta receiver actually pushed off, and Shead went down instantly. It's unclear why offensive pass interference wasn't called. The Falcons were flagged just twice all game.
  • 5. Then, Atlanta held the ball forever, and Seattle's offensive chances were limited as a result. The Seahawks' decision to punt on one occasion on a fourth-and-1 from around their own 40-yard line also hurt. They pinned the Falcons down at the 1-yard line, but Ryan put together a 99-yard touchdown drive. 

1.  Who would think that having a 10-7 lead and having the ball would automatically give you "complete control of the game"

2.  REALLLY?????

3.  Basically we were unstoppable.

4.  no, he went down on his very own.  He wasn't touched.  http://thebiglead.com/2017/01/14/deshawn-shead-goes-down-with-non-contact-leg-injury/

5.  no idiot would try to "go for it, on their own 40"

7 hours ago, defcon4 said:

So Seattle has the ball inside their 5 yard line and it ends with a safety(this was somehow the turning point..roll eyes).

Atlanta has the ball on their 1 yard line..and they drive 99 yards to score a TD.

The game was not even close. At one point it was 36-13 with about 5:00 to go.

I saw an Atlanta team that was not phrased AT ALL by Seattle's opening drive.  They remained focused, poised and took care of business!

Haven't seen an Atlanta team like this(Maybe ever). There's was a point in the game where Julio seemed to get angry. The whole team turned up the aggression.

See, you FIXED his article! You should be getting his check!

oh and by the way.... didn't Hester's big return that was called back happen "later" in the game ???

They're mad because now they have to spend some time learning about us.   Most journalists--especially opinion writers--are very lazy people.  They want the standard narratives to stick so they can pump out their garbage as quickly as possible.  Now that the Falcons blew away their established storyline they're thinking 'now I have to learn about them??  That sounds like work.  Yuck"

8 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Who wrote this, Sherman's mother?  Whomever it was better go back to their day job.  

I love how it insinuates that the game was rigged and the head referee got a new yacht because he was paid to be biased. I actually loved it. It felt like the first time the referees actually gave the Falcons some love. Every other game I've ever watched, even at home, the refs seemed to job the Falcons any chance they  could. It felt good to play with the Atlanta refs for once.

2 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I sort of felt the seahawks got a break when on 4th down they called us for lining up over the center on their punt.  Later on I saw them do the same thing when we were punting and they lined up over our center and hit Bosher all on the same play and no flag was thrown.  

This. There were missed calls both ways. I thought they were pretty fair. let the game be decided on the field. Seattle isn't used to that and it showed.