Keith Armstrong

Mid-Nite-Toker

Let me first say congratulations to the entire Falcons organization for a win in what could be the last game in the Georgia Dome.  Offense and Defense were spectacular.

As far as Special Teams is concerned, nobody showed up but Matt Bryant...IMHO.

Coach Armstrong needs to take his special teams to the wood shed when they do film review.

If not for good officiating we almost let Hester undermine us in that game.

It takes all 3 phases to be good, so we need to get this fixed.

Again congratulations to the Falcons...I'm going out to celebrate.

16 minutes ago, HOYLE said:

Devin Hester is the best ever at what he does. We won't see him again so to a large extent the problem is solved. 

I dunno man. We could potentially meet KC in the Super Bowl & they've had some real success in the return game with Tyreek Hill (3rd in PR avg., most ret TDs in NFL this season).
Houston has Will Fuller, who is 4th in the NFL in punt return average.
The Steelers have A. Brown retuning punts, who is dangerous any time he has the ball.

Yeah, we all know who Hester is, but these other teams aren't exactly filling those roles with slouches.

On top of all that, there were only 6 teams worse than us in punt coverage this season. We finished 26th in punt coverage & 22nd in kickoff coverage. That has NOTHING to do with Hester, and everything to do with it being a legit cause for some level of concern.

On the 85 yard punt return that got called back I thought I saw two different holding violations replayed on TV.  The refs settled on the hold that happened at the line of scrimmage but I think there was another hold on a gunner at the catch.  Devin did a little 360 after the catch which worked only because of the other hold.  Why didn't the officiating crew say, "There were two fouls on the play, both on the receiving team." ?

19 minutes ago, ParanoidAndroid said:

Armstrong is respected around the league but I've been saying for a long time that we should have cleaned house when Quinn came.  Cox and Armstrong haven't impressed me. 

Armstrong is Quinn's guy. Quinn's known him for a long time and wanted to keep him. He knows what Quinn wants and Quinn respects him.

Sure there's work to be done, but Armstrong's not going anywhere.

17 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Armstrong is Quinn's guy. Quinn's known him for a long time and wanted to keep him. He knows what Quinn wants and Quinn respects him.

Sure there's work to be done, but Armstrong not going anywhere.

If I'm not mistaken, Armstrong has longer ties to the Falcons than anyone else involved with the team... including Blank. Pretty sure he was on the coaching staff in the mid 90's & then came back as ST Coordinator when Smitty arrived. I agree, he isn't going anywhere... but he does need to tighten things up a bit.

6 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

I think this is overblown.

We have had one of the the top coverage units all year.

Yeah hester had a great game  but the Seahawks got a way with a **** ton of holiding and block in the backs....we also had soe

in the past, we have indeed been solid on coverage, but not this season.

- We gave up 9.6 yards per punt return... only 6 teams were worse.
- We gave up 22.6 yards per kick return... only 10 teams were worse.

We have been terrible with punt coverage all year & pretty bad on kick returns as well.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/opp.htm

40 minutes ago, k-train said:

in the past, we have indeed been solid on coverage, but not this season.

- We gave up 9.6 yards per punt return... only 6 teams were worse.
- We gave up 22.6 yards per kick return... only 10 teams were worse.

We have been terrible with punt coverage all year & pretty bad on kick returns as well.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/opp.htm

The difference between that ranking and being in top 10 is 1 return

Opponents only had 23 returns against us.... the 55 yarder that we gave up skewed that ( because there were so few returns)

Besides that you are only looking at 1 piece of that

44 times we punted  so fewest in the league  but we were 12th in Net,  and we forced nearly as many Fair catches as we had returns,

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/punting/sort/puntReturns/seasontype/2

Case in point.......  don't just look at a ranking and make an assumption.

As a whole our coverage units have been among the better units in the in the league.

20 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

The difference between that ranking and being in top 10 is 1 return

Opponents only had 23 returns against us.... the 55 yarder that we gave up skewed that ( because there were so few returns)

Besides that you are only looking at 1 piece of that

44 times we punted  so fewest in the league  but we were 12th in Net,  and we forced nearly as many Fair catches as we had returns,

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/punting/sort/puntReturns/seasontype/2

Case in point.......  don't just look at a ranking and make an assumption.

As a whole our coverage units have been among the better units in the in the league.

Look, I understand what you're trying to say, but the reality is this... It's not skewed because we DID give up the 55 yarder.

It counts.

You don't get to cherry pick which returns count & which don't so you can try to make a false statement true.

I've watched it be an issue all season. Glaring? No, but still there. That's not making assumptions based on the stats, that's backing up what I've seen with my own eyes when watching games this season with facts.

Of the teams with 65 or fewer punts this year, guess what? We had the worst average. You wanna pull that 55 yarder because you think it skews things? Ok, then you have to do the same for all those other teams too... toss out their biggest return as well. Guess what? Nothing's changed. We were still worse than most other teams. The only thing we did well was not give up many touchbacks off of punts.

9 minutes ago, k-train said:

Look, I understand what you're trying to say, but the reality is this... It's not skewed because we DID give up the 55 yarder.

It counts.

You don't get to cherry pick which returns count & which don't so you can try to make a false statement true.

I've watched it be an issue all season. Glaring? No, but still there. That's not making assumptions based on the stats, that's backing up what I've seen with my own eyes when watching games this season with facts.

Of the teams with 65 or fewer punts this year, guess what? We had the worst average. You wanna pull that 55 yarder because you think it skews things? Ok, then you have to do the same for all those other teams too... toss out their biggest return as well. Guess what? Nothing's changed. We were still worse than most other teams. The only thing we did well was not give up many touchbacks off of punts.

Never said it did not count... but    you have to look at the big picture.

We also forced a lot of fair catches in relation to the number of punts, we also downed 21  punts inside the 20........... You do not force 18 fair catches in 48 punts with out pretty good  punt coverage.

Again big picture.

10 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Never said it did not count... but    you have to look at the big picture.

We also forced a lot of fair catches in relation to the number of punts, we also downed 21  punts inside the 20........... You do not force 18 fair catches in 48 punts with out pretty good  punt coverage.

Again big picture.

They played poorly today, they need to perform better.