Dana White offers Floyd Mayweather $25m base to fight Conor McGregor

Carter

UFC president Dana White offered a $50m split purse, $25m to Floyd and $25m to Conor, for a boxing match. Dana White said they could negotiate the PPV cut.

Mayweather responded by calling him "a f**king comedian."

Conor McGregor recently received a professional boxing license in California and has, as usual, talked a bunch of trash to build up attention and interest for a fight with Mayweather. McGregor had demanded $100m to fight Mayweather, which is probably a dig at Floyd's payday on the God awful match he had against Manny Pacquiao.

No idea if it will actually happen, but it's probably the only fight Mayweather can make anymore big money on at this point. 

http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/18469103/ufc-president-dana-white-offers-50-million-split-floyd-mayweather-conor-mcgregor-fight

9 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

If that's all the purse is gonna be then it ain't happening.

It was the first offer. You never jump at the first offer. This fight would draw in a lot of viewers between boxing fans who think MMA doesn't compare and MMA fans who think boxing ain't ****. Not to mention pure casual appeal on the name recognition. I'm sure they all realize it.

I agree though, the purse is gonna have to get a lot bigger to get Floyd anywhere close to signing. The sticky point I think will be that both sides think they are the bigger draw, so they will probably never agree on it.

On 1/14/2017 at 2:47 AM, Worzone said:

Mayweathers a paper champ. Hes the Mason Dixson of the Balboa movie. He would not last in an mma fight.  

This would be a boxing match, not MMA.

Think what you will of Mayweather, personally I find him reprehensible as a human being, but he's clearly the greatest boxer of his generation. MacGregor is a good striker as far as MMA fighters go, but there are so many more levels and nuances to boxing. A middle of the road pro boxer would beat Conor decisively, let alone one of the greatest of all time. It's ludicrous to think that MacGregor would have any kind of chance. 

As for the money, $25M is a great payday for Conor, but they had better at least triple that before Floyd will show any interest. 

22 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

This would be a boxing match, not MMA.

Think what you will of Mayweather, personally I find him reprehensible as a human being, but he's clearly the greatest boxer of his generation. MacGregor is a good striker as far as MMA fighters go, but there are so many more levels and nuances to boxing. A middle of the road pro boxer would beat Conor decisively, let alone one of the greatest of all time. It's ludicrous to think that MacGregor would have any kind of chance. 

As for the money, $25M is a great payday for Conor, but they had better at least triple that before Floyd will show any interest. 

I tend to agree, as much as I like to watch McGregor do what he does. He has been in very few fights that actually last very long and he has taken little punishment. In the fights that are about the closest thing we have to judge him on for an endurance fight, against Nate Diaz, he showed he is a great striker but fades fast when the punches are being taken and thrown back at him.

To that end though, Floyd is a counterpuncher. He's not going to stand toe to toe with anyone, let alone someone with the striking ability and power Conor McGregor has proven to have. Floyd would go the distance without a doubt and be fine. McGregor has been severely winded after 2 rounds and he isn't swinging around boxing gloves. MMA is a lot higher intensity action, but that's where the beauty of boxing comes in... MMA is checkers, boxing is chess.

It's just not McGregor's area of expertise or dominance, which is why I don't understand why he's playing it up so much. He would get a fat payday, sure, but he also stands to be thoroughly embarrassed in the ring. He's among the best professional MMA fighters. This would be his first professional boxing match, going against a multi weight class champion who has been considered the best pound for pound boxer for a looong time.