Jeff George was a good quarterback

TonyMartin80

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, TonyMartin80 said:

A lot of people did not like Jeff Geoge but I thought he was one heck of a quarterback. He could throw that ball! If the Falcons had a decent defense George could have got us to SB.

Great physical gifts + mental softness + sense of entitlement = Jeff George. No doubt about the world class cannon. Very Cutler--ish. 

On the eve of our first playoff game in 4 years, and Jeff George is on your mind.

TonyMartin80 is either a.) a 10 year old who just started Googling old Falcons teams, b.) a really old man who signs his Facebook posts "Love, grandpa", or c.) a run-of-the-mill troll who's just trying to build up a post count before going full swift on us.

I'm struggling to figure it out. 

2 hours ago, TonyMartin80 said:

A lot of people did not like Jeff Geoge but I thought he was one heck of a quarterback. He could throw that ball! If the Falcons had a decent defense George could have got us to SB.

We got one decent year from that guy - one and done in the playoffs in Green Bay. Also, he didn't have a bad defense. If I recall, they were pretty strong against the run with 58 in the middle. Bobby Hebert did more for this franchise, IMO.

1 hour ago, GTFalcon25 said:

On the eve of our first playoff game in 4 years, and Jeff George is on your mind.

TonyMartin80 is either a.) a 10 year old who just started Googling old Falcons teams, b.) a really old man who signs his Facebook posts "Love, grandpa", or c.) a run-of-the-mill troll who's just trying to build up a post count before going full swift on us.

I'm struggling to figure it out. 

You left the most likely case out, him being Jeff George not being to control his excitement after learning how to work a computer and that there is a Falcons message board.

Just now, Hooper72 said:

We got one decent year from that guy - one and done in the playoffs in Green Bay. Also, he didn't have a bad defense. If I recall, they were pretty strong against the run with 58 in the middle. Bobby Hebert did more for this franchise, IMO.

It wasn't that the defense was bad. It was the offense that was off the field so quickly. I don't think there is a defense that can support a run and shoot offense in the NFL.

Just now, Jesus said:

It wasn't that the defense was bad. It was the offense that was off the field so quickly. I don't think there is a defense that can support a run and shoot offense in the NFL.

Yeah, good point. That system looked hot at first (Miller, etc.), but it fizzled very, very quickly. 

10 minutes ago, Hooper72 said:

Yeah, good point. That system looked hot at first (Miller, etc.), but it fizzled very, very quickly. 

Just going back and looking it up. That offense was the first to have 4000 yard passer, 1000 yard rusher and 3 1000 yard receivers at the same time. Sounds exciting but they were 11 in yards and 10 in points on offense. The defense was not that good 19 in points 29 in yards. They 6 starters that were 30 or older on defense including guys who were 34,35 and 39. 

I did see the Falcons play in Buffalo that year. Great game. Ended with George throwing a pick in the endzone. Also saw Jim Kelly dive tackle at Anthony Phillips knee to stop a pick 6. Would have won it for the Falcons but instead destroyed Phillips career.

By far the coldest I have ever been in my life. Old Rich Stadium had metal bleachers that got so cold they stuck to your pants. You had to put garbage bags down to keep that from happening. There was no line for beer, but instead for hot chocolate that by the time you got it from the steaming hot dispenser, it was lukewarm in your hands and cold at your lips.