K.J. Wright says Falcons RB tandem of Devonta Freeman, Tevin Coleman are best he’s faced

birdz4i

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on January 12, 2017, 2:05 AM EST

DENVER, CO - AUGUST 07:  Outside linebacker K.J. Wright #50 of the Seattle Seahawks warms up prior to facing the Denver Broncos during preseason action at Sports Authority Field at Mile High on August 7, 2014 in Denver, Colorado. The Broncos defeated the Seahawks 21-16.  (Photo by Doug Pensinger/Getty Images)

Getty Images

The Seahawks managed to hold Atlanta to just 52 rushing yards in their 26-24 win over the Falcons in October. But their success in slowing running backs Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman on that Sunday afternoon didn’t damper any of the respect they have for the duo they will face again this Saturday in the Divisional Round of the NFC playoffs.

“They might be the best 1-2 running back combo I’ve played probably in my career,” Seahawks linebacker K.J. Wright said on Wednesday. “Those two guys are really good together. They complement each other well. They both can do some dangerous things running and catching the ball.”

Wright spent several minutes trying to think of a comparable tandem he’s played against in his six seasons in the league without success.

Freeman managed just 40 yards on 12 carries and Coleman was held to 10 yards on five carries in the first meeting between the two teams. They also didn’t do much in the passing game, combining for just four catches for 17 yards against Seattle. But Wright has a respect for their running ability and how adept they are as pass catchers.

“Jailbreak screens. They run these guys on verticals, running backs screens. They’re just really good out of the backfield. Really shifty guys too. We know that and we just got to make sure that wherever they are on the field you got to be ready for them,” Wright said.

Seattle’s success in limiting Atlanta’s explosive attack was rooted in their ability to keep Freeman and Coleman from hurting them. The Seahawks led the league in allowing the fewest rushing yards per carry this season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/12/k-j-wright-says-falcons-rb-tandem-of-devonta-freeman-tevin-coleman-are-best-hes-faced/

20 minutes ago, GTFalcon25 said:

If we get a run game going this week, I think we blow them out. Their secondary is very susceptible to the pass. The X-factor is their LBs. If we can get them drawn in to help stop the run, our play-action will be unstoppable. 

Even though Coleman and Tevin didn't have a lot of carries, I recall our TEs having a lot of success in that game vs them, especially getting behind those LBs. Then the WRs started getting open.

I expect more of the same. It'll be worse for them when Coleman and Free get loose.

In the first half of the game, the blitzed us like crazy. So the backs had to stay in to help keep Matt alive in the pocket. That attributed to the lack of RB numbers. I'm sure we'll have a plan for more screen or quick passes to the flat to slow down there blitz package & get them more involved this go around. 

1 hour ago, dynobot77 said:

In the first half of the game, the blitzed us like crazy. So the backs had to stay in to help keep Matt alive in the pocket. That attributed to the lack of RB numbers. I'm sure we'll have a plan for more screen or quick passes to the flat to slow down there blitz package & get them more involved this go around. 

yep. Seattle was almost desperate in the first game. they did a good combination of blitzing then dropping out of blitzes and confusing the line and getting pressure with 4. Kyle figured out in the second half they wasn't accounting for Toilolo and started leaking him out. plus Coleman slipped twice on what would have been long runs had he kept his footing. since Seattle came out so aggressive first game, I wouldn't be surprised if Kyle pushes the tempo and starts attacking right off the bat.