Max Kellerman - "The strongest, most rational case for MVP is actually Matt Ryan"

ChickenBiscuit

LOL. The media gives Dak Prescott more love and playoff hype with no playoff games than Ryan. They talk about the Seahacks missing Earl Thomas and how that will affect the game but don't remember us missing Abe in the NFCCG against the Niners. Ryan lost that game. If we win on Saturday, they'll say it's because Seattle was down a major player. Does it matter who's on the other side of the field?

I wish people that do this for a living would actually look up the stats. Matts game against the Cards, Seahawks, and 49ers were really good. So that's 3/5 games he didn't play bad. Idk WTF Smith is talking about 

edit: I need to proof read before I hit send lol.

Edited by FalconsFanSince194eva

24 minutes ago, FalconsFanSince194eva said:

I wish people that do this for a living wouldd acyatlly look up the stats. Matts game against the Cards, Seahawks, and 49ers were really good. So that's 3/5 game she didn't play bad. Idk WTF Smith is talking about 

Ryan's combined playoff stats are objectively worse than his regular season average. But you're right in that those numbers are heavily skewed by the GB and NYG losses.

He also gets absolutely no credit for having gotten three bye weeks. I wish byes counted as playoff wins for discussions like this! Ryan would probably be 3-4 if we could have played cupcake wildcards in 2010 and 2012, and then the media probably wouldn't be making this argument.

Smith is still a dumbass even when he changes his tune about our players. Just listening to what he says at the end of the Dak being biracial shows it. NY people always have to float their own boat about themselves. He thinks he knows everything and "backs" it up by being loud and obnoxious. He's a poor journalist. 

13 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

The last two playoffs games Ryan has monster stats, It wasn't his fault they lost to San Fran

That's what's stupid to me, Matt was great in the 2012 post-season, but Stephen A is holding his first three playoff appearances(in one of which he was a rookie) against him. Those games against the giants and packers were literally over five years ago but Stephen A thinks that is an accurate representation of how we should assume Matt will perform in the playoffs until proven otherwise. Lol

Edited by Drew4719

The argument by Stephen A. Smith is so bad.

In the 2012 playoffs Matt Ryan's QB rating (105.2) was second highest among all QBs. Only Flacco was better. Ryan outperformed Brady (84.7), Manning (88.3) and Rodgers (97.6) handily. 

On top of that Matt Ryan did it against the top two defenses that year, and two of the top defenses in recent memory, in SF and SEA.

I still can't believe how professional analyst can hold one player accountable for the success of the whole team to that extent, and ignoring the whole defensive side.

I want Atlanta to win so bad, just for Matt Ryan's sake.

26 minutes ago, virginiafalcon said:

He also gets absolutely no credit for having gotten three bye weeks. I wish byes counted as playoff wins for discussions like this!

^^this X 1000^^

It makes no sense why teams/players are punished for being more successful in the regular season.

Consider this scenario:

QB A has a playoff record of 4-3 over 5 years.

QB B has a playoff record of 2-3 over 5 years.

Absent any context, one might assume QB A's team has been more successful. But actually, his team has played in the wildcard round all three times in the postseason as the winner of a bad division. They were never better than 10-6, won 1st round home games 3 times and a divisional round game once. i.e., 3 postseason appearances, 1 conference championship. Meanwhile QB B's team was never worse than 12-4, and was the 2nd seed all three times they made the playoffs, so the 2 wins equate to 2 conference championship appearances. Isn't QB B doing the better job of leading his team to and in the playoffs, despite one fewer win? 

Meh, they're being cautious because they know there's a chance Ryan and this offense could absolutely slaughter them and I honestly believe that. I understand the point Smith is trying to make about Ryan, but playoff records don't matter anyway. It's a stupid comparison people come up with to argue a players value when honestly it doesn't matter because unless you have a Super Bowl win it's pointless bringing it up.

2 hours ago, droopy1592 said:

Smith is still a dumbass even when he changes his tune about our players. Just listening to what he says at the end of the Dak being biracial shows it. NY people always have to float their own boat about themselves. He thinks he knows everything and "backs" it up by being loud and obnoxious. He's a poor journalist. 

He's not a journalist and calling him one fuels the idea that ACTUAL journalists are untrustworthy, biased, lying hacks -- which needs to cease immediately if this country is gonna survive the next 4 years.