Around the NFL coaching carousel: Where the five open top jobs stand

fuego

I just posted the one about the Broncos here. Others are at link. I thought this was interesting on who he thinks will get the job.

_________

Denver Broncos

Interviews: Vance Joseph, Kyle Shanahan, Dave Toub.

John Elway is not being shy about the Broncos’ process. He tweeted this after meeting with Kyle Shanahan:

And this after a sit-down with Dave Toub:

The Broncos’ meeting with Joseph reportedly was occurring Tuesday, so their GM likely will provide a 140-character scouting report on the Dolphins’ D.C. before the day is out.

Toub, the Chiefs’ special teams coordinator, is the wild card in the current group, with Shanahan (Atlanta’s OC) and Joseph (Miami’s DC) two names surfacing seemingly everywhere that needs a new coach. The Denver Post’s Mark Kiszla speculated that Toub could wind up with the gig, in part, because he’s most like-minded to Elway and thus would make for the easiest transition if Elway wants to continue molding the franchise in his image.

Who should get the job: Shanahan. The Broncos’ defense has been its driving force the past two seasons, so Elway’s new coach should do whatever he can to keep DC Wade Phillips around a bit longer. But what Denver really needs is help on offense, especially if it plans to stick with youngsters Trevor Siemian and Paxton Lynch at QB. Shanahan has a proven track record of maximizing his quarterbacks’ talent through clever schemes. He’s only 37, but by all accounts he’s ready to take the next step.

A potential complication could arise if Shanahan wants to bring his father, Mike Shanahan, along as adviser. The elder Shanahan formerly served as the Broncos’ head coach, albeit before Elway took charge.

Who will get the job: Joseph. Denver tried to nab him as its defensive coordinator after the 2014 season but were rebuffed by the Bengals, for whom Joseph worked at the time. While this obviously represents a higher rung on the ladder, there obviously is respect for Joseph within the Broncos’ front office. Plus, a report already surfaced this week, from SiriusXM’s Alex Marvez, that Denver could invite former OC/ex-Chargers coach Mike McCoy back as its play-caller should Joseph get the job. That’s an outstanding possible solution to cover where Joseph is lacking in experience.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/10/nfl-coaching-search-rumors-news-interviews

Kyle is going to get passed over at this time. I can't imagine he wants to take on SF or LA. Without a decent QB neither of those teams will fit his expectations. This is the best spot to be in if he wants to run his offense. No one else has the weapons. 

1 hour ago, Jesus said:

Kyle is going to get passed over at this time. I can't imagine he wants to take on SF or LA. Without a decent QB neither of those teams will fit his expectations. This is the best spot to be in if he wants to run his offense. No one else has the weapons. 

I could see him not getting a HC gig now, especially if the Broncos don't hire him. We'll see what happens. 

If he doesn't get one this year then he will next. I'm conflicted because he deserves one but I would love him back. 

Maybe he just needs another year to shows he's matured and he's not the guy from previous years who people found so difficult to get on with. 

6 minutes ago, AndySG said:

If he doesn't get one this year then he will next. I'm conflicted because he deserves one but I would love him back. 

Maybe he just needs another year to shows he's matured and he's not the guy from previous years who people found so difficult to get on with. 

He probably wants to open up that new stadium next year anyway. I'd imagine with our offense we're going to get plenty of prime time viewing next year and Kyle will be able to show the world what he's got.