Why I truly believe it's our year

Maybe it's just me fellow Falcons fans, but the moment Arizona kicked that field goal to beat the Seahawks I said to myself, "this is starting to feel like destiny."

I mean just look at the what's happened to the field:

Dallas, dependent on rookies and now Gregory suspended for the entire year

GB, Nelson takes a nasty shot that will effect his mobility going forward if he plays

NY, WRs go to Miami and OBJ has terrible game with 4 drops

DET, Staffords injures finger and they lose 4 straight

SEA, lost home field advantage and now lost Earl Thomas 

Then in the AFC,

Oakland loses Carr and can't win a game without him, should've  been the 2 seed and met NE in AFC Championship 

Houston, backed into playoffs thanks to Mariottas injury

Miami, lost Tanehill

Pittsburgh, Ben in walking boot, and coach Porter getting arrested for fighting at a bar after the game.

For me, when Mariotta, Tanehill and Carr went down and I started thinking just how easy it is for something bad to happen to wash all of those dreams away. We've been very lucky with injuries so far, aside from losing Tamme and Trufant, and we're heading into the playoffs at near full strength. 

Then you look around the league and see the incidents popping up in NY and Dallas and now Pittsburgh. It brings back memories of Eugene Robinson and all of a sudden you start to think, we are one of the few teams left with no inside or outside drama, and with all of our relative health intact.

We've got the seed we needed and now the 2 best opponents left in the NFC have to face each other before we do.

The stars seem to be aligning for us. The only thing that can stop us is us. We just have to handle our business and do what we do. We don't need any lucky breaks, we aren't depending on anyone else, we just have to go out and do it.

That my friends is all you could ask for. It's a strange place to be in as an Atlanta fan. To look out at the competition and be able to say and feel that you could beat anyone that's left and to really believe it. 

This is different. This could very well be our year. More and more it's starting to feel that way. 

Hope your right. 

That said, going in preparing for the worst and being as detached as possible, has served me well this season. Stress levels are down, and the team has never looked better (on offense at least.)

This is going to be tough year for me personally, so I'm really hoping the Falcons can do something and defy expectations. 

10 minutes ago, paulitik said:

Hope your right. 

That said, going in preparing for the worst and being as detached as possible, has served me well this season. Stress levels are down, and the team has never looked better (on offense at least.)

This is going to be tough year for me personally, so I'm really hoping the Falcons can do something and defy expectations. 

I completely understand your thought process as I too tend to lay low and err on the side of caution. Low expectations = less disappointment. 

But there is something in the air. I still remember walking out the dome after the Carolina victory and hearing Panthers fans say "Yal going to the Suberbowl"

it was so early in the year that I just smiled at the idea of it, but here we are. We have a real chance, as good as any we have ever had. And after the way our last playoff run ended in 2012  I can't help but think Mattyice is going to give us something else he has never shown before. 

I'm not scared, I'm not nervous. All the excuses for us to lose have been said for years. They don't matter anymore. We are that team that has nothing to lose cause we never had respect to begin with. But we are far from underdogs. We are a dangerous bunch and we have an edge unlike ever before. We may not be the biggest or baddest, but we are focused, united and hungry as ****. And that makes us very scary

I gonna be happy with the season as a whole, because of the direction this team is going under Quinn. I didn't think it would be possible to get the 2nd seed. If you told me we would have the best offense in the NFL this season and breaking records, I would have called you crazy. If you told me all our draft picks would be able to contribute the way they have, I would have laughed. Who would have thought Vic Beasly would lead the league in sacks his SECOND YEAR?!! Who could have predicted how the young studs like D. Jones, Neal, and Hooper would play and that we would have hidden gems in Poole, Gabriel, Robinson and Collins? Sanu has also been a contributor.

Yes. I want to beat the Seahawks and whoever else is in front of us to win a championship and I think we are capable of doing that, but I don't think any Falcon fan should be that disappointed considering most of us would never have even dreamed of the season we had as this season. We need to be at the Dome and give our Birds all the love we can, because this one of the most exciting times to be a fan.

GO FALCONS

Edited by BoomGoesTheDynamite

28 minutes ago, paulitik said:

Hope your right. 

Same here man, New Year hasn't started off good at all. Falcons winning a SB sure would be nice.

33 minutes ago, paulitik said:

Hope your right. 

I know what you mean.

i thought we were a team of destiny in 2010.

Then in 2012 I bought into it because of a really tough year in my personal life.

Im taking a cautious approach this year.  While I really hope we can get 3 wins the past years have taught me anything can happen and each game gets harder.  

42 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

I think we have as good of a shot as we have ever had if not better. This defense is young and fast.. avg age 24 on the starting line up.. 

offense is like nothing we've ever seen. 

New stadium? No better way to open it up than with a ring 

I do too...it's hard to explain it clearly in words but it "feels" different this year. I truly believe that this might very well be our very best chance to get to and win the superbowl we have ever had and that the odds favor us doing it. If we don't at least make to the superbowl, i actually would be surprised...and that's saying a lot because i'm always pessimistic (really if you are a long time falcons fan, how can you not be?). In the past, Every time we have made it into the playoffs I expected us to actually not make it or felt that the odds were at best even. But this year, if we play the way we have played all year offensively and ryan keeps his streak going...it's hard to picture us losing. I can honestly say i've never really felt like that before. 

16 minutes ago, CraigSmackDaddy said:

Same here man, New Year hasn't started off good at all. Falcons winning a SB sure would be nice.

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, I am right there with you two.....it's not been a good few months for myself as well and i know the next few won't either...it sure would be nice to have something this good distract me and it would really help knowing the long suffering fellow fans of the falcons would finally be over. 

Edited by diehardfalconsfan

1 hour ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

I gonna be happy with the season as a whole, because of the direction this team is going under Quinn. I didn't think it would be possible to get the 2nd seed. If you told me we would have the best offense in the NFL this season and breaking records, I would have called you crazy. If you told me all our draft picks would be able to contribute the way they have, I would have laughed. Who would have thought Vic Beasly would lead the league in sacks his SECOND YEAR?!! Who could have predicted how the young studs like D. Jones, Neal, and Hooper would play and that we would have hidden gems in Poole, Gabriel, Robinson and Collins? Sanu has also been a contributor.

Yes. I want to beat the Seahawks and whoever else is in front of us to win a championship and I think we are capable of doing that, but I don't think any Falcon fan should be that disappointed considering most of us would never have even dreamed of the season we had as this season. We need to be at the Dome and give our Birds all the love we can, because this one of the most exciting times to be a fan.

GO FALCONS

I think fans have every right to be disappointed, especially if we are 1 and done. I get the direction of the team is pointing up but this is what you play the regular season for.  All these stats and awards and records, to me, won't mean much if we don't do anything with it. We have no excuses on any level, even without tru. 

It's time to kill this perception of Atlanta, and it's fans, and take our respect. 

Edited by Dirtybird3

This year does have a different feel to it. After losing to Tampa in the opening, I thought here we go again and we have some really tough opponents on deck. Then we went and shot out the Raiders, Saints, Panthers and an undefeated Broncos in Denver. Ryan was on fire and Beasley was starting to show improvement. They got my attention, but wasn't convinced. The defining moment for me was when Ryan threw the pick 6 and pick 2 to Eric Berry. I thought that was it Ryan would fold, the rest of the team would fold and the season would be over. Instead the whole team stepped up their game and went on a tear. 

This is truly our time to stand up and prove the media and naysayers wrong. I usually visit other boards during the playoffs every year. It seems the fans of other boards know we are a very dangerous team, but want to dismiss us because of the team history and playoff failure. It's time for the Falcons to put the NFL on notice. It has to be a our season when Ryan is the clear MVP, I never thought I would say those words, but he has made me eat my own words. Then we actually have the league leader in sacks in Beasley. Who saw that coming so quickly? And we are the leagues number one offense.

I knew this team was for real, after the Seattle game. This team went into Seattle and fought through everything the Seahawks could throw at them (including the referees), and really beat them. Instead of ending the season like this kind of disappointment would have caused in years past, they came out with more determination than ever, like they had something to prove after that game was stolen from them. 

I really believe the loss in Seattle was a good thing for this team. It built their character knowing that they could overcome what was dealt to them in Seattle, and still secure the #2 seed. That win does not give Seattle the edge in anyway, it subconsciously serves the Falcons in a very big way, not the Seahawks.

Not trying to be the party pooper, but Dallas has never depended on Gregory.  He played like 5 seconds and was immediately suspended again lol. 

Anyways,  I'm not a believer in destiny and the "there's somethin special goin on here" mentality.  Not knocking anyone here who thinks that way,  just saying whatever happens happens and they're going to need their A++++ game to get through these next two weeks

5 minutes ago, EVIL Dan Quinn said:

Not trying to be the party pooper, but Dallas has never depended on Gregory.  He played like 5 seconds and was immediately suspended again lol. 

Anyways,  I'm not a believer in destiny and the "there's somethin special goin on here" mentality.  Not knocking anyone here who thinks that way,  just saying whatever happens happens and they're going to need their A++++ game to get through these next two weeks

yep. my party is pooped

2 hours ago, paulitik said:

Hope your right. 

:lol: Same here I'm pretty relaxed though somehow if we're fortunate enough to get past these next two games I'm pretty sure there's no way I could keep my composure in the two week lead up to the Superbowl. I'd probably have to go on drugs lol

This continues to be a fun team to watch. Prior teams were finesse groups that needed to be perfect to win. Quinn's Falcons awe fearless warriors that put hurt on the enemy. 

I will guarantee they will battle toe to toe with anyone. 

Have confidence folks. 

7 minutes ago, jm_falcons said:

Something too I'd like to add.

1980 season...was arguably our best team ever.

1998 season...18 years later....2nd best team ever...went to the super bowl.

Now 18 years later...2016 season....super bowl? Our best team ever?

Every 18 years.

There is a legitimately recognized 18-year cycle in agriculture, who knows?

33 minutes ago, EVIL Dan Quinn said:

I feel you but whether it's the Falcons or anyone else, to make it ALL the way to a title requires a little bit of luck. There is just so much that goes into winning and sometimes it comes down to a few inches here and a few there. Think about it. If Arizona misses that kick and loses to Seattle then they're the ones sitting at home getting healthy and we're the ones who just played and have to make the West coast trip and maybe we lose a guy to injury in the wildcard.

There are so many variables that have to go your way. Some teams are so good and mentally tough that they can win despite anything and maybe that's us this year too. The fact remains though that everything that could go right down the stretch HAS. We're healthy, rested, still have our edge because we played hard down the stretch, no locker room drama or distractions, no pressure from high expectations and the brackets are in our favor. 

The rest is up to us. If we just handle our business and play the way we have been playing, we can beat anyone that's left. We don't need our A+++++ game because we've proven ourselves to be resilient enough without being perfect. A game yes, but nothing beyond that. Maintain balance on offense, don't lose the turnover battle, and get stops on defense. We do that and we are in good shape.