Slam Dunk Drafts: Quinn & TD

Knight of God

Sometimes its not a one person deal. It seems that like anything else in life its about the combination. The people in charge and the clarity. Even how they get along. After last year, I have to admit I was stoked. I had no idea we'd be in this position though. Quinn is like a mix of some of the better HC's I have been a fan of over the years. Carroll, Saban, Richt, and even some part Glanville.

He gets out of the player's way like Carroll, is odd like Glanville, has an ability to make serious adjustments and coach his assistants like Saban, then he can be cool and caring like Richt. He's a prototype coach with his mind on winning at all costs. Fiery yet calm and wise. He also realizes he is in charge when he speaks with TD. Being he has a full on coach mentality, he is able to sit with TD and even coach him. Having an understanding of TD's innate genius, he allows TD to use it at a high level, yet be able to fully articulate to TD what it is he likes and wants.

Many don't understand it, even I was on some other crap when we drafted poorly for years, but it was never TD's fault. It was the poor line of communication and the under utilization of what makes TD such a dangerous man in terms of scouting, evaluating, and FA recognition. Now, its all coming together and is very few steps of being completely brilliant. In fact, I would argue this combination as possibly the best. Even better than Newsome and Harbaugh. This coming from a man who truly loves Ozzie Newsome since childhood. Possibly a portion of the reason I am such a huge Bama fan and use to love the Browns now Ravens. I still like the Ravens though.

These past two drafts have nothing in terms of weaknesses, nothing. I have nothing to say. I wasn't high on the last draft, now I know to simply trust this tandem of TD and Quinn moving forward. Mocking is fun. I love it. Especially now more than ever having nothing but work to look forward to. These days my mocks will focus less on what I think they better do, or think they need to do, and shift to what I think would be cool. I have no doubts that if they take a WR, CB, FS, OL, or even a TE. I know they have a sincere understanding as a tandem of what is needed to ascend to the next level.

Win or lose next week, they made it farther than I expected. I knew it would be a great year. I didn't expect Ryan to be the top QB and become my absolute favorite of all time, or Freeman/Coleman to be such a dynamic combo, Garbriel to be a nasty wildcard, Hooper to be such a beast, the OL to be the best we have ever had just with Mack included, Beasley to be the number one edge rusher and sacker in the league, Jarrett to be considered one of the most feared DT's in the league, Upshaw to be one of the nastiest DT's on the roster, D. Jones to be such a huge addition, who saw Poole coming (?????), Collins as a starter, playing at a high level??? and Neal. I watched all kinds of highlights and never thought he was a killer. Dude is a freaking hitman. A few (most notably @gazoo) actually said he would be better than Kam, even revolutionize the way hard hitting safeties play the game. He was RIGHT!!! Neal has made people see you can have a crusher in the high pass volume league, just like a few RB's have brought back the run.

Looking forward to seeing what the Red and Black does in the post season, but I am sincerely impressed and not worried. My expectations have been exceeded and I am ready for the future.

Go Falcons!!!!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Top Gun of a post there KoG wow you've sure changed your tune on TD.

To me TD has been part of that new age of GM his thinking is more cerebral than most and while it may seem pretentious and precious for some your right put in the right combination it's down right dangerous.

I think the edition of a few ex GMs only adds more power to the ammo coming out of the Branch aswell.

well said my friend, well said.

the way this staff has developed the talent we have is the reason why I feel we already have our RG in Wes. we are in a position that we can resign all our guys that we drafted to nice deals and retain our core of play-makers and role players. like you said, THAT is the true genius of TD.

KoG, you made a lot of good points, and a lot of them are similar to how I feel. A lot of what has happened this year...who honestly saw a lot of this coming????? Win or lose, like you said, I'm proud of this team and I am beyond thankful for the culture that has been established. The players love playing under Quinn, TD and Quinn share an awesome connection, the coaching staff as a whole is developing players, and we as fans are enjoying every bit of it. I've been a Falcons fan since I was 6 or 7, and I believe that this year very well could just be the beginning of the best era of Falcons Football that is about to come. 

8 minutes ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

Good post, and I agree 100%. But I REALLY hope we go defense for most of this next draft. 

I actually hope we see some money spent on the D and go at least half Offense in this next draft.  OL, TE, and maybe a backup QB.

Of course we need to co tinue to add to the DL and maybe add a FS and LB (depending on FA.)

5 minutes ago, raysnill1 said:

well said my friend, well said.

the way this staff has developed the talent we have is the reason why I feel we already have our RG in Wes. we are in a position that we can resign all our guys that we drafted to nice deals and retain our core of play-makers and role players. like you said, THAT is the true genius of TD.

I'm a huge fan of that guy. I think he could take the reigns left or right. Levitre...just wow. It was the wrong combo for him before.

Quinn knows what he wants on offense and defense schematically and no one will stand in his way. After the beat down the Packers gave us, Blank wanted a attacking team and forced Smith into going away from his comfort level. 

Now that this team has a identity, drafting has become easier to get the pieces.

Edited by AmaZze

1 minute ago, Knight of God said:

I'm a huge fan of that guy. I think he could take the reigns left or right. Levitre...just wow. It was the wrong combo for him before.

Levitre has another 2 years on his deal I think so he's locked up. the thing about Levitre is, aside from the penalties, he was actually good last year too. but this year dude has played at a Pro Bowl level. we could still resign Chester as backup but we need to get younger at RG, and do it while we have Mack to bring him up to speed. I'm really excited by what we have the potential to be with the O-line

Actually if you go back starting 2013 the drafts have been pretty good.  

2013-Trufant, Alford, Tolilo, Ismael

2014-Matthews, Hageman, Freeman, Allen

2015-Beasley, Collins, Coleman, Hardy, Jarrett

2016- Neal, Jones, Hooper, Campbell

Looking back 2012 may not have been a total loss because I think that's when we picked up Schrader.

23 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Actually if you go back starting 2013 the drafts have been pretty good.  

2013-Trufant, Alford, Tolilo, Ismael

2014-Matthews, Hageman, Freeman, Allen

2015-Beasley, Collins, Coleman, Hardy, Jarrett

2016- Neal, Jones, Hooper, Campbell

Looking back 2012 may not have been a total loss because I think that's when we picked up Schrader.

Schraeder came in 2013. 

Not sure, but I don't think a single player from our 2012 draft is even still in football. 

Scott Pioli deserves more credit than he's generally given around here for our drafting turnaround. 

Edited by Vandy

50 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Good post.

Dimi as our GM gets all credit. Good and bad.

He put us in a lurch for years. We paid for it with an 18-30 non playoff stint.

Whether he is the mastermind or puppet of the 2016 team he gets credit from me.

Exceeded my 9-7 expectations.

More like Somewhere in between, not black or white, but shades of gray