The King Has Mocked - You're Gonna Hate Me

I just have to take a second and say.. man, it's great to be a Falcons fan! 

This won't be a complete draft based on where we are in the process, but just wanted to play around with some things and see where you guys stood for our first ever post-lombardic offseason.

So without further ado..

Resign: Matt Schaub, Courtney Upshaw, Jacob Tamme (who I hate), Dwight Freeney, Patrick DiMarco, Aldrick Robinson, Levine Toilolo, Worrilow(or)Weatherspoon, Tom Compton

Walk: Jonathan Babineaux, Chris Chester, Eric Weems, Phillip Wheeler, Dashon Golson, LaRoy Reynolds, Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Kemal Ishmael (All of these players will be invited back to camp to battle for roster spots if they don't get signed elsewhere.)

Cut: Tyson Jackson

Free Agency:

• Brandon Williams, DT, Baltimore - Excellent run-stuffer with minimal passrushing ability. Good early down rotational guy.
  • Mario Addison, DE, Carolina - Fierce passrusher who Matt Ryan is a little too familiar with. Take him from the Panthers and turn him against Cam.
  • J.J. Wilcox, FS, Dallas - I don't really have a good explanation for wanting Wilcox except for the jersey. #HailSouthern

2017 NFL Draft:

Round 1, Pick 32 - Caleb Brantley, DT, Florida

• Height: 6'2" Weight: 314 lbs.
  • It's obvious that defensive tackle will need to be addressed this coming offseason, as Grady Jarrett needs help. Babineaux is old, Hageman isn't the answer, and investing in a youthful star is never a bad idea in this league. Brantley is everything we look for on defense: quick off the line, disruptive, and he gets penetration and creates plays for his teammates when unable to get there himself. I picture Cam turning to run away from Brantley and meeting Vic instead.. and that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

To anyone that knows me as a fan of this team and not just as that guy who corrects people's spelling mistakes, then you probably know that Desmond Trufant is my favorite Falcon. There is no way in h*ll I want to see him in any uniform but Atlanta's, but what happens if the Falcons decide that they're better off moving forward with Alford and Collins and decide to deal Trufant to a CB-needy team? With only the one year option left on Trufant's rookie contract, the team that trades for Trufant will have to make a substantial financial commitment to him and will have to provide the Falcons with enough ammunition to agree to part ways with him rather than to try and resign him themselves.

**Trade** ATL receives 2017 2nd Round Pick (43) and 2018 2nd Round Pick from the New York Jets for CB Desmond Trufant.

The Jets own pick 39 in the second round which is directly ahead of Carolina at 40 and N'awlins at 42. This is a great spot for the Falcons to draft from and steal a potential target from one of our division foes.

Round 2, Pick 39 - Desmond King, CB, Iowa

• Height: 5'11" Weight: 200 lbs.
  • Wanna talk about ballhawks? Playing with fire? King is everything this defense covets. He's gritty, aggressive, advantageous, and certainly not afraid of anyone on the field. He's the kind of player that will pick off Drew Brees one week and then sack blow up Cam the next. There's talk that King could thrive at FS in the NFL and could prove to be an upgrade over Ricardo Allen. If not he's still an excellent outside corner who could play opposite Collins in Dime packages with Alford and Poole inside. This pick keeps the secondary a strength and could even elevate it to another level. Whether it's making up for the loss of Trufant or upgrading Ricardo Allen, King makes a lot of sense for the Falcons whom he could have an excellent career with.

Round 2, Pick 64 - Dan Feeney, OG, Indiana

• Height: 6'4" Weight: 310 lbs.
  • Atlanta has the best offense in the league despite some poor guard play. Levitre has his ups and downs but if he's the weak link then we're doing better than most. Unfortunately for the birds, that title currently belongs to Chris Chester who needs to be upgraded quickly. Reuniting Feeney with his collegiate teammate Tevin Coleman seems like a win for the Falcons as they look to unleash the Wildebeast on opposing defenses each week.

Round 3, Pick 96 - Daeshon Hall, DE, Texas A&M

• Height: 6'6" Weight: 260 lbs.
  • The more we continue to draft so well, the harder it will be for Blank to demand any number of starters out of the draft. Hall is loaded with potential which needs to be harvested, and I'm thinking we have the type of staff that can help him thrive and reach the consistency that's lacking from his game. Hall is fast off the edge and has been excellent against the run, which will be appealing to Dan Quinn. I'm hoping we get one more year out of Freeney who can start shifting his focus away from Beasley and can start to mentor the rookie.

Round 4, Pick 128 - Kendall Beckwith, LB, LSU

• Height: 6'3" Weight: 247 lbs.
  • Deion Jones has proven himself as a star at MLB with a DROY-type season. Devondre Campbell surprised a lot of people with his level of play, including myself, as I didn't expect him to start. Sean Weatherspoon's injury has lead to guys like Phillip Wheeler playing more defensive snaps than ideal and Beckwith could be our third linebacker which would be a scary thought. Beckwith has been compared to Carolina's Luke Kuechly coming out of Boston College, with similar athelticism, all around skillset, and dedication to studying the game. This defense is getting younger and they will only get better as they grow together, and having all three starting linebackers in either their first or second years with so much room to grow would strike fear across the league.

Round 5, Pick 160 - Antonio Pipkin, QB, Tiffin

• Height: 6'2" Weight: 220 lbs.
  • "Antonio Pipkin had a stellar season in leading Tiffin University to an 8-3 record. He shattered the GLIAC career passing mark with 9,671 yards and also set new GLIAC records for career completions, attempts, plays and single-game completion percentage. He passed for 2,534 yards this season with a 64.9 completion percentage while also rushing for 757 yards (68.8 yards per game). Pipkin is only the third quarterback in Division II history to gain 2,000 yards rushing and 10,000 yards passing in a career." The quoted text is an excerpt from NFLDraftScout, so I'm assuming that information is correct but have not researched it that much. All I know is that Pipkin lit up DII and I'm very excited to see him play against higher-level talent at the Senior Bowl. Having Matt Schaub as Ryan's backup for another year or two means we can stash Pipkin and let our coaches work with him on the Practice Squad and see what he's made of. 

Upside, upside, upside. With a Lombari in the case at long last, some will say there's only one way to go from there and that's backward. However I think an offseason like this will push the Falcons to an undisputed top spot in the league for a few years to come. I know the Trufant thing is a hot topic but I hope that doesn't let people ignore everything else here.

good write-up. A few comments.

1. I don't get the Trufant trade talk. Didn't we pick up his 5th year option?...then we have up to two more years to franchise??  I can't see trading him especially if you told me we turned around and drafted a CB with one of the two picks we got back. 

2. Still not drafting pass rushers is a big miss IMO even if we pick one up in FA.

3. I like Beckwith as a thumper but I don't know that he fits with what our LB's do. 

4. I do like Brantley (even though I think he gets washed out too often) and Feeney as both would quickly become starters. 

9 hours ago, FAN_O_THE_ATL said:

good write-up. A few comments.

1. I don't get the Trufant trade talk. Didn't we pick up his 5th year option?...then we have up to two more years to franchise??  I can't see trading him especially if you told me we turned around and drafted a CB with one of the two picks we got back. 

2. Still not drafting pass rushers is a big miss IMO even if we pick one up in FA.

3. I like Beckwith as a thumper but I don't know that he fits with what our LB's do. 

4. I do like Brantley (even though I think he gets washed out too often) and Feeney as both would quickly become starters. 

To make it easier, I'll use the same numbers as you my friend.

1. Picking up that option only extended his rookie deal one more year at $8M. He's wanting money in the $13M-$15M range which with Matt, Julio, Mack, and Alford's deals on the books and Beasley, Collins, Neal etc. to pay in the future we might be better off moving on from him. Trufant is a great mirror corner, but this isn't exactly the best scheme fit for him and he's not an aggressive ballhawk like Alford and Collins, so why not get something for him rather than letting him walk in free agency if he prices himself out of our range? If there's one thing we've learned from TD it's that he sticks to his price and if you don't like it, you can leave it. I don't want to wait on a 3rd round comp pick for Trufant when we could get more for him now. Drafting a CB with one of those picks is brilliant, actually, because it means we're getting another talented corner on roster behind Alford, Collins, and Poole but on a rookie deal. So our secondary is still a major strength but also a cheap one. Plus, King might play some FS as well. We'd get to figure that out in Training Camp.

2. We already have Beastley. I re-signed Freeney. I signed Mario Addison. And I drafted Daeshon Hall. Not to mention there are a probably a couple of other picks to be made later on in the draft and the UDFAs where you might find even more passrushing help. I think the passrush was addressed though. The cupboard was not left as bare as it has been in years past!

3. Beckwith is an incredible athlete. In college he's been blowing up plays in the backfield and goes sideline-to-sideline. He's got that twitch that once he gets in motion he's at fullspeed and getting there in a hurry. His only knockbacks are consistency, which most attribute to hesitation when it comes to making reads. In Quinn's scheme, however, I think everything is simplified and he can do what Quinn wants: Run, Hit. For that I think he's perfect. It might be that Beckwith takes over the Mike, pushes Deion to Sam, with Devondre at Will, but really there's a lot of interchangeable talent in that group now with Beasley also able to take some linebacker snaps.

4. Brantley isn't my favorite player in this draft by any means, but I like him a good bit. I'm not even sure he's the BPA but we need DT help and he's in that 20-32 draft range. You have the Florida connection and all that too, so it's got some logic behind it and I think he'd help out the line. Dan Feeney probably popped on tape a lot when we were doing our homework on Tevin Coleman, so we know that our scouting department knows who he is. Our offensive line has been pretty stellar this year but our guards are still a weakness. If Feeney and Schweitzer ended up taking the starting jobs from Levitre and Chester in a timely fashion, that would really say a lot for how well this team is drafting now.

Thank you for the thoughts, though. I appreciate anyone who actually takes the time to comment back with something other than 'I hate this.' or 'Good job.' I love the feedback and I always want these things to turn into a discussion of opinions.

Based on what I've seen since Quinn got here is that the defensive free agents they pick up are typically cheaper free agents who fill a role in the rotation or fill a spot until they can draft the guy Quinn really wants in that spot. They have, however, showed a willingness to shell out big money to offensive free agents which has annoyed fans but makes sense since it frees up their draft to focus on the defense. So, as much as I like Brandon Williams (more iffy on the other two), I wouldn't be surprised if they instead targeted someone like Kevin Zeitler to upgrade the RG spot and propel the O-line into one of the top units in the league. The best part of it is that the Bengals are reportedly not focused on re-signing him or Whitworth for some insane reason which will be nice for us. They may go in a different direction this offseason but this is how I see it.

As for the picks, I'm alright with Brantley but I need to watch more on him. I still don't get taking a CB in the 2nd unless they intend to move him to FS. I really like Feeney, especially in our blocking scheme. I also like Hall's potential as a 5/6-tech but he's a ways off, plus he played with Myles Garrett which took a whole lot of pressure off of him to produce yet he was still pedestrian which is a bit concerning. I don't know much about the rest though.

50 minutes ago, King Jigsaw said:

To make it easier, I'll use the same numbers as you my friend.

1. Picking up that option only extended his rookie deal one more year at $8M. He's wanting money in the $13M-$15M range which with Matt, Julio, Mack, and Alford's deals on the books and Beasley, Collins, Neal etc. to pay in the future we might be better off moving on from him. Trufant is a great mirror corner, but this isn't exactly the best scheme fit for him and he's not an aggressive ballhawk like Alford and Collins, so why not get something for him rather than letting him walk in free agency if he prices himself out of our range? If there's one thing we've learned from TD it's that he sticks to his price and if you don't like it, you can leave it. I don't want to wait on a 3rd round comp pick for Trufant when we could get more for him now. Drafting a CB with one of those picks is brilliant, actually, because it means we're getting another talented corner on roster behind Alford, Collins, and Poole but on a rookie deal. So our secondary is still a major strength but also a cheap one. Plus, King might play some FS as well. We'd get to figure that out in Training Camp.

2. We already have Beastley. I re-signed Freeney. I signed Mario Addison. And I drafted Daeshon Hall. Not to mention there are a probably a couple of other picks to be made later on in the draft and the UDFAs where you might find even more passrushing help. I think the passrush was addressed though. The cupboard was not left as bare as it has been in years past!

3. Beckwith is an incredible athlete. In college he's been blowing up plays in the backfield and goes sideline-to-sideline. He's got that twitch that once he gets in motion he's at fullspeed and getting there in a hurry. His only knockbacks are consistency, which most attribute to hesitation when it comes to making reads. In Quinn's scheme, however, I think everything is simplified and he can do what Quinn wants: Run, Hit. For that I think he's perfect. It might be that Beckwith takes over the Mike, pushes Deion to Sam, with Devondre at Will, but really there's a lot of interchangeable talent in that group now with Beasley also able to take some linebacker snaps.

4. Brantley isn't my favorite player in this draft by any means, but I like him a good bit. I'm not even sure he's the BPA but we need DT help and he's in that 20-32 draft range. You have the Florida connection and all that too, so it's got some logic behind it and I think he'd help out the line. Dan Feeney probably popped on tape a lot when we were doing our homework on Tevin Coleman, so we know that our scouting department knows who he is. Our offensive line has been pretty stellar this year but our guards are still a weakness. If Feeney and Schweitzer ended up taking the starting jobs from Levitre and Chester in a timely fashion, that would really say a lot for how well this team is drafting now.

Thank you for the thoughts, though. I appreciate anyone who actually takes the time to comment back with something other than 'I hate this.' or 'Good job.' I love the feedback and I always want these things to turn into a discussion of opinions.

I do not know that we will let Trufant go. I do agree that the middle of that defensive line is a priority. This draft is rich with pass rushers so we could see them going into the 3rd round. I really like your 3rd round pick. Overall I think it is a very good draft but I do not think we trade Trufant at least for a couple of years.

The more and more I think about it...I'd be surprised if the Falcons traded Trufant.  Not that it isn't worth considering, but Trufant has been a model player/teammate, has done all the right things.  You'd be trading what is a 'sure asset' for speculative ones. Folks will point to NE and their trading of Jones/Collins, but 1) they each had some eye-brow raising issue that may have given the Pats pause to invest in them long term and 2) Belichick is Belichick...he has leeway/flexibility to make moves like this.  Falcons secondary was probably the best unit the Falcons had on defense when Quinn arrived, yet he spent his 2nd ever draft pick on a CB.  I think he values depth greatly at that position.

I like Brantley...he'd be a player I'd endorse with the first rounder.  Overall, I think we need to get more stout up front while maintaining that athleticism Quinn covets.

Wouldn't be so quick to write off Hageman...I know it seems like we're perennially waiting for him to emerge.  But he's turning my into a useful rotational player.  And if we're getting rid of Babs/Jackson...and Freeney may wind up simply hanging them up (if he doesn't, likely won't know until after FA/draft), he'll fill a role in 2017.

Brandon Williams is a guy I loved coming out of college. I don't know what sort of contract he'd be seeking or if the Ravens let him go, but he'd be a great pickup. 

Desmond King has been arguably the best corner in college the last 2 years, I think he'll play corner in this league although I'm not against this pick.

Kendall Beckwith to me is the polar opposite of Luke Keuchly. I see a 2 down thumper in the NFL. I don't think he has the athleticism to stay on the field for all 3 downs. 

Brantley is a good fit and I like the Hall pick, who I think is being slept on.

Can't say I am a huge fan. I like most of the players just not on this team and not in your scenario.

1) We trade away a proven stud CB in the prime of his career for an unknown CB/FS tweener (I Think he is a CB, but for your scenario purposes you basically have him as a tweener) + another future pick that will obviously also be an unknown player
2) We sign a 1 hit wonder pass rusher who turns 30 this offseason and that will probably get massively overpaid because of his 9.5 sack season this year
3) We draft a guard more suited for a power running scheme when we run a ZBS.
4) And then to top it off we draft a slow MLB (Curtis Lofton Jr) who doesn't have the ability to play outside which means we would have to move Jones away from a spot in which he is really starting to thrive in?

While I do love the Brantley pick; picking him AND signing Brandon Williams (Who won't be cheap) seems like overkill. Can't say I know enough about Hall or Pipkin to comment on those selections.

2 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Can't say I am a huge fan. I like most of the players just not on this team and not in your scenario.

1) We trade away a proven stud CB in the prime of his career for an unknown CB/FS tweener (I Think he is a CB, but for your scenario purposes you basically have him as a tweener) + another future pick that will obviously also be an unknown player
2) We sign a 1 hit wonder pass rusher who turns 30 this offseason and that will probably get massively overpaid because of his 9.5 sack season this year
3) We draft a guard more suited for a power running scheme when we run a ZBS.
4) And then to top it off we draft a slow MLB (Curtis Lofton Jr) who doesn't have the ability to play outside which means we would have to move Jones away from a spot in which he is really starting to thrive in?

While I do love the Brantley pick; picking him AND signing Brandon Williams (Who won't be cheap) seems like overkill. Can't say I know enough about Hall or Pipkin to comment on those selections.

If you think Feeney is better suited for a MBS than a ZBS then I have no idea what you're watching.

6 hours ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

If you think Feeney is better suited for a MBS than a ZBS then I have no idea what you're watching.

I think he would be better suited in a scheme like our offenses ran in the early Matt Ryan days. The Harvey Dahl days where we straight up bullied people up front. I love his nastiness and ability to just straight up plow through guys. Not so sure I like him as much when he is in open space downfield at the 2nd level or pulling. One of his biggest weaknesses is missing blocks in those type of situations. Not saying that can't be fixed or corrected but either way I highly doubt the best guard in the draft class falls to the very end of round 2 so it wouldn't matter anyway in this situation anyway lol.

3 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

I think he would be better suited in a scheme like our offenses ran in the early Matt Ryan days. The Harvey Dahl days where we straight up bullied people up front. I love his nastiness and ability to just straight up plow through guys. Not so sure I like him as much when he is in open space downfield at the 2nd level or pulling. One of his biggest weaknesses is missing blocks in those type of situations. Not saying that can't be fixed or corrected but either way I highly doubt the best guard in the draft class falls to the very end of round 2 so it wouldn't matter anyway in this situation anyway lol.

Feeney plays in a ZBS in college that also has gap tendencies. his scheme he plays in college is literally the same kind of scheme that Shanahan runs here. What the **** are you talking about? He's nasty like Dahl is, a solid pass protector like Dahl was and a good run blocker. What are you talking about?

On 1/9/2017 at 6:49 AM, PriMeTiiMe said:

1) We trade away a proven stud CB in the prime of his career for an unknown CB/FS tweener (I Think he is a CB, but for your scenario purposes you basically have him as a tweener) + another future pick that will obviously also be an unknown player - No, we trade away a player only if it seems that his intentions aren't to resign. It's better to get 2 seconds now than it is to wait two more years for a 3rd round comp pick. Also, it's smart to draft another quality corner who could also be a fit at FS. We don't have to specifically use the pick we got in the trade on a corner, we could use any of our picks on a corner. That's just how it worked out. He was the best option at that juncture.

2) We sign a 1 hit wonder pass rusher who turns 30 this offseason and that will probably get massively overpaid because of his 9.5 sack season this year - Honestly, I don't know what we're going to do in FA this year. We don't have a lot of glaring needs. I also did the draft before I did the FA so we had even less holes at that point. One thing you can never have too many of is passrushers so I figured having Beasley, Addison, Freeney, and Hall we'd have a pretty good stable of guys who could get after the QB.

3) We draft a guard more suited for a power running scheme when we run a ZBS. - Zero. Sense.

4) And then to top it off we draft a slow MLB (Curtis Lofton Jr) who doesn't have the ability to play outside which means we would have to move Jones away from a spot in which he is really starting to thrive in? - I think Beckwith is an incredible player, but I don't think he'd be a starter right away. He'd be a great thumper on run downs and I'd consider him an upgrade over Paul Worrilow. It's hard to tell what the Falcons are going to be targeting before interviews and meetings but linebacker depth will likely be addressed and with a 4th round pick, that's hardly condemning the team to failure.

While I do love the Brantley pick; picking him AND signing Brandon Williams (Who won't be cheap) seems like overkill. Can't say I know enough about Hall or Pipkin to comment on those selections. - Babineaux is getting older, Hageman isn't the star we thought he'd be, Jackson likely won't be on the team next year. So we have Grady Jarrett and what else? Courtney Upshaw? We need more defensive tackles so I'd hardly consider signing one and drafting one 'overkill'.