Beasley and Freeney vs Seahags tackles

atlbaby

Unlike the last game we played, if we get up early on the Seahags, Beasley and Freeney shall be able to feast against their horrible tackles. One is a CFA who only has 1 year of college experience and the other two possible starters suck at pass protection but can run block.

Future HOF'er Freeney vs. the rookie CFA LT

College Hoops Star Is Now Seahawks starting LT

What do Antonio Gates, Julius Thomas and Jimmy Graham have in common? They were all college basketball stars who decided to give football a shot after their hoops careers ended. The next hardwood-to-gridiron crossover you should look out for? George Fant.

Fant was a four-year letter winner in basketball at Western Kentucky University, playing mostly as a power forward for the Hilltoppers. A three-time All-Conference selection, Fant averaged 13.8 points and 8.4 rebounds per game in the 2014-2015 season. By the time he exhausted his basketball eligibility at WKU, he was their 13th all-time leading scorer (1,621 points) and eighth all-time leading rebounder (894).

Though he had a nice career, Fant's chances of making the NBA were slim. He certainly could've landed a contract to play basketball overseas, and he had a shot at the NBA D-League. But while he was mulling his options, Fant started hearing from NFL teams. They were intrigued by his size and athleticism and wanted to know if he had any desire to play football. Fant hadn't played the game since middle school, but when he learned about all the former college hoopsters now in the NFL, he became intrigued.

"You look at what some of the guys who played basketball have been able to do in the NFL, it gets your attention," Fant told the Lexington Herald-Leader. His basketball eligibly was exhausted, but the NCAA allows athletes a fifth season of eligibility as long as they use it to play a different sport. So last season, Fant joined the WKU football team. He appeared in 12 games, catching one pass for seven yards and playing mainly on special teams. He did not post incredible stats, but his performance at WKU's Pro Day got NFL scouts buzzing.

Measuring in at a muscular 6-foot-5, 296 pounds, Fant showcased ridiculous athleticism for an athlete of his size. He recorded a 4.83-second 40-Yard Dash, a 37-inch Vertical Jump, a 9-foot-11 Broad Jump and 22 reps on the Bench Press test.

Fant's height and weight compared most closely to an NFL offensive tackle. If you compare his Pro Day numbers to historical NFL Combine data for offensive tackles, it quickly becomes clear he's a freakish outlier. For some perspective, in the past 10 NFL Combines:

• Only two offensive lineman recorded a 40 time faster than 4.83
  • No offensive lineman recorded a Vertical Jump higher than 37 inches (the best since 2006 was 35.5)
  • No offensive lineman recorded a Broad Jump further than 9-11 (the best since 2006 was 9-10)

With those speed and explosiveness numbers, Fant could reasonably be considered the most athletic offensive tackle prospect in years. His Bench Press wasn't quite as impressive, but 22 reps would have put him firmly in the middle of the pack for offensive lineman at the 2016 Combine.

Fant's Pro Day jersey listed him as an offensive lineman, but  he's open to playing any position. "I just want to be an athlete," Fant told the Bowling Green Daily News. "I can play tight end, offensive tackle, defensive tackle, D-end. Where you want to put me at, I'm going to learn it. That's the kind of person I've always been. If you need me to long-snap, I'll long-snap. I'll do it. I'm just keeping an open mind and open heart." Fant would make a huge target at tight end, and he showed off soft hands at his Pro Day:

During his final season on the WKU basketball team, Fant was listed at 250 pounds, so he's put on nearly 50 pounds over the last year. However, not many 300-pound football players are this lean and muscular:

Maybe the most amazing thing about the rise of George Fant from college basketball power forward to Seahawks’ starting left tackle in the span of about 20 months is how unremarkable everyone seems to view it.

“I just think it’s normal,’’ said Seattle offensive line coach Tom Cable. “It’s what we do here. There are a lot of teams that would pick a guy cause he’s all this and he’s all that. He’s supposed to be a left this and a right that. It’s all baloney. They look flashy and they look cool but it doesn’t necessarily work like that.’’

Not with the Seahawks, anyway, who in recent seasons have turned a college tight end who was an undrafted free agent into a starting right tackle within two years (Garry Gilliam) and converted a college defensive lineman into a starting guard within a year (J.R. Sweezy) among other seemingly unlikely success stories.
Still, even by the Seahawks’ leave-no-stone-unturned standards, Fant’s story is unique.

2016 Sack leader Beasley vs. Seahags revolving RT:

Seahawks offensive line coach Tom Cable said Garry Gilliam will start at right tackle in Week 16 against the Cardinals.
Gilliam started the Seahawks' first 11 games at right tackle before being replaced by Bradley Sowell. Now they're going back to Gilliam after Sowell got absolutely manhandled Thursday against Los Angeles. The offensive line has been a problem all year for Seattle. Unfortunately, Gilliam isn't the solution. Tue, Dec 20, 2016 06:46:00 PM

Garry Gilliam will open the season as the Seahawks' starting right tackle.
Gilliam opened camp as the left tackle, but he ended up losing out to Bradley Sowell. Gilliam then switched to the right side, where he was able to hold off J'Marcus Webb. Considering how poorly Gilliam played last season, it would not be surprising if Webb made starts as well this year. Tue, Sep 6, 2016 08:36:00 AM

Garry Gilliam remains penciled in as the Seahawks' left tackle, but is getting a "run" from Bradley Sowell.
The word comes straight from coach Pete Carroll. Gilliam was a 16-game starter at right tackle last season, but struggled mightily. Sowell hasn't started at any position since 2013, when he was with the Cardinals. The loser of the "battle" could displace J'Marcus Webb at right tackle, though swing duties are just as likely. Tue, Aug 9, 2016 04:19:00 PM

I completely expect us to dominate this game. I just have that feeling that Seattle is outmatched in just about every aspect of this game. I haven't had this feeling for a while, and people will disagree, but over the last six games we have outplayed them against similar or any opponent, our D line will give them some fits, our oline will keep it together. Our defense has actually played as well or better than theirs.

Just my opinion, but Beastly and Freeney will feast.

44 minutes ago, Falcons_own_nfc_south said:

Hawks would try to set the run in the middle and I want to see how Grady/Hags/Babs and Debo/Neal brings the hammer

They sucked the last three weeks of the season running the ball, then double team each DT of Detroit now everyone thinks their run game is back, against one of the worst run defenses.