Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gto30272

Derek Carr - Most Over-Rated QB of 2016?

121 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, gto30272 said:

Seriously?

63.8% completion, 7.03 per att, 262 yards per game, 96.7 qb rating, and not a single total qbr in the top 50. In what universe is that MVP caliber?

Before you continue to argue with me, just understand I said MVP, something that should not be totally dependent on statistics. You might have things confused with Offensive Player if the Year. 

7 minutes ago, gto30272 said:

Seriously?

63.8% completion, 7.03 per att, 262 yards per game, 96.7 qb rating, and not a single total qbr in the top 50. In what universe is that MVP caliber?

Ever heard of Steve McNair?

how about Joe Montana?

Sidecar Falcon likes this

53 minutes ago, QuinnTorris said:

Before you continue to argue with me, just understand I said MVP, something that should not be totally dependent on statistics. You might have things confused with Offensive Player if the Year. 

I think it's slowly becoming a feature of our generation. We simply don't know what words mean or how to use them 

2 minutes ago, QuinnTorris said:

And the argument is the "value" to his team which again any starting qb with a poor defense has. I originally posted why I feel the Raiders are also overrated. Listening to people say if Carr didn't go down they would be SB contenders begs the question of based on what? The 1-3 record against playoff teams?

My post is not that he is not a good QB or doing well for where he is in his career. It's the fact that he is an MVP candidate or the Raiders we're SB contenders. He's not a MVP candidate just because he got hurt and his team suffered. Every team will suffer when a starting qb goes down. Especially ones without a defense to carry the load. 

3 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Ever heard of Steve McNair?

how about Joe Montana?

Please tell me you're joking. Don't try to compare raw stats from generation to generation but rather compare how they performed in relation to their peers in their own era. 

Lmao oh my god this thread is going to be gold. Carr carried that team on his back. His HC/OC are severely overrated. Carr made both of them look like geniuses. Is he going to be MVP, probably not. However he has played well enough to warrant his name being in the conversation. Anyone who thinks Carr is overrated, obviously hasn't watched the things he has done all season long. 

A Dog Named Brian likes this

6 minutes ago, gto30272 said:

He threw the ball 59 times and everything I posted is fact not "lip".  Anything else?

Yeah: you are off to a bad start. This thread can't be bounced to the right forum fast enough. If you find out you are the only person who holds an opinion, you're not going to build credibility by digging in. Even if you don't think you're wrong, it's sometimes best to take the L and move on.

Vandy, Sidecar Falcon and athell like this

Overrated is in the thread title. MVP is now the discussion. I get your original thought, but no one really believed he be the MVP, but acknowledging what he's meant to the Raiders and his year is worthy of positive discussion. He's legit and not overrated. MVP talk. Whatever. The dude will have the Raiders in the national narrative for years. He's a **** good QB. Young too. If I was a Raider fan I'd be thankful that he was on my team. As a Falcon fan you should kind of understand this sentiment by now. Hello? 

17 minutes ago, gto30272 said:

He threw the ball 59 times and everything I posted is fact not "lip".  Anything else?

Most random statement ever. In what game exactly? Completions? TD? You need more or it's just lip 

9 minutes ago, gto30272 said:

Please tell me you're joking. Don't try to compare raw stats from generation to generation but rather compare how they performed in relation to their peers in their own era. 

Actually, I was hoping you were joking positioning that Derek Carr was not a valid MVP candidate. 

21 minutes ago, Black Francis said:

Carr was a 2nd round pick too. There are a lot of teams that wished they had him. Strange thread. 

Yep the Vikings and the Texans really blew that one. The Texans could of had him for a steal, but did not draft him just because of his last name. His brother David Carr could of had a good career at QB if he was drafted by a better team that gave him some protection. The Texans would have been very dangerous if they had Derek Carr throwing to Hopkins with their defense.

Black Francis likes this

It's MVP of the league,  not of the Raiders... 

I agree with OP.  He is overrated.  He was the feel good story of the Raiders making the playoffs for the first time in a decade.   He was a "top 10" QB this season, and did not deserve to be in the Most Valuable Player of the NFL conversation.   Not even a top 20 in MVP of the league.

Cant take this stuff seriously. Im from the Bay Area. Carr is a young beast. If hes in they win. So, he is very valuable. Love Matty Ice, but to say Derrick Carr and the Raiders are overhyped is dumb. MVP. Absolutely competes with Matt Ryan. Dont be ignorant please. But yes MR2 for MVP of course.

11 minutes ago, AlabamaFalconFan said:

I agree with OP.  He is overrated.  He was the feel good story of the Raiders making the playoffs for the first time in a decade.   He was a "top 10" QB this season, and did not deserve to be in the Most Valuable Player of the NFL conversation.   Not even a top 20 in MVP of the league.

Name 20 players ahead of Carr in your mind.  This should be good.

28 minutes ago, droopy1592 said:

Most random statement ever. In what game exactly? Completions? TD? You need more or it's just lip 

I quoted you discussing the TB game...

28 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Actually, I was hoping you were joking positioning that Derek Carr was not a valid MVP candidate. 

You brought Joe Montana somehow into the conversation. And NO, Derek Carr is not a valid MVP candidate. 

17 minutes ago, AlabamaFalconFan said:

Well said...

7 minutes ago, 408Falcon said:

Cant take this stuff seriously. Im from the Bay Area. Carr is a young beast. If hes in they win. So, he is very valuable. Love Matty Ice, but to say Derrick Carr and the Raiders are overhyped is dumb. MVP. Absolutely competes with Matt Ryan. Dont be ignorant please. But yes MR2 for MVP of course.

"Don't be ignorant" yet makes a post with absolutely no substance. Absolutely competes with Matt Ryan? In what?

5 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

This is why we should have a 1000 post minimum before making a thread. 

Actually the posters with over 1000 posts have the least informative and substantive posts in this thread...

47 minutes ago, A Dog Named Brian said:

I think is slowly becoming a feature of our generation. We simply don't know what words mean or how to use them 

Which is "our generation" ? 

Sorry OP over rated isn't a word I'd use when talking Derek Carr he's the best QB not named Andrew Luck to come out in the last 5 years.

He showed glimpses last year of how good he could be and was in the conversation for MVP upto his injury.Id say that's a fairly decent effort for a good young QB and if I'm honest the sky's the limit for him.

3 minutes ago, gto30272 said:

Actually the posters with over 1000 posts have the least informative and substantive posts in this thread...

Lmao Says the guy who made a Derek Carr post on an Atlanta Falcons Message board. 

1 hour ago, QuinnTorris said:

**** no. This bird has some real haters when it comes to giving other players praise, especially when it comes to other QBs. Carr is going to be a top flight passer in the league for years to come. Ryan was being called the next Peyton on these MBs in his 3rd NFL season and he didn't do what Carr did in his 3rd. Just give credit where it's due. Carr had a MVP type season, especially considering how Oakland looked without him. 

Ryan put up identical stats to Carr in his 3rd season (2010). 62.5% completion, 3,705 yards, 28 TDs, 9 INTs, 91.0 passer rating, led team to 13-3 record and #1 seed in NFC.

Carr in 2016: 63.8% completion, 3,937 yards, 28 TDs, 6 INTs, 96.7 passer rating, led Raiders to 12-3 record.

So you're kinda reaching with that criticism, but Carr does deserve the respect he's been given. Although, I can't remember Ryan being considered a legit MVP candidate in 2010, probably because we ran the brakes off of Michael Turner.