Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gto30272

Derek Carr - Most Over-Rated QB of 2016?

121 posts in this topic

I can not fathom all of the MVP candidate talk and even getting some votes just because the Raiders are losing without him. He's not that good and neither are the Raiders. He didn't finish in the top 10 in yards per game, yards per attempt, completion %, or total qbr. He was 8th in rating and 7th in TD's. His stats are good but certainly nothing special.

The argument for him is mostly the Raiders record.  They played 4 games against teams that made the playoffs and went 1-3. The lone victory was the Texans which are hardly a true playoff team and even that had some very questionable and controversial officiating.  The only other teams they beat with a winning record (all 9-7) were Ten, TB (in OT) and Denver in Oak where Carr had a whopping 184 yards.  The biggest spotlight and most crucial game of the season was against KC and he was absolutely awful.

Derek Carr didn't have a single game with a total QBR in the top 50!

How in the world can anyone think he should even sniff the MVP trophy?  The Raiders and Derek Carr were completely overrated!

2 minutes ago, A Dog Named Brian said:

I'm gonna go ahead and assume you didn't watch any of Oakland's wildcard game this evening 

Did you read the post?  I watched the game. Derek Carr and the Raiders are overrated. They lost today and should've lost the first time they played the Texans.

Btw most teams starting a third string rookie QB won't look good. I don't understand the premise that because a team doesn't play well without their starting qb that it somehow means the starting qb is good. Just about any team in the NFL (especially ones with a garbage defense) will look quite bad with their 2nd or 3rd string qb playing. 

5 minutes ago, A Dog Named Brian said:

I'm gonna go ahead and assume you didn't watch any of Oakland's wildcard game this evening 

Doesn't change his post in my opinion. 

Just now, Black Francis said:

No. He was drafted 2 years ago. His play was great all things being equal and his loss was huge for Oakland. He could not be replaced. To me that says it all. 

Exactly, if anything him being out showed what made him an MVP candidate. If we didn't have a great backup, we would've looked the same if Ryan went down 

CaliFalcons and Black Francis like this

23 minutes ago, A Dog Named Brian said:

I was about to say...

What I just watched was proof that Carr should have been in the conversation.  

Still, Ryan was, and looks like will be, the MVP

A Dog Named Brian likes this

He didn't drop 513 yards on the bucs either. For a moment they had a passing offense as good as saints and redskins. He wasn't as bad as you say. 

2 minutes ago, Black Francis said:

No. He was drafted 2 years ago. His play was great all things being equal and his loss was huge for Oakland. He could not be replaced. To me that says it all. 

Great compared to what?  Any offense-centric team is going to look bad if the starting qb goes down. That has nothing to do with that qb being great but rather he was the starter and the defense isn't good enough to carry the load. Again, his numbers are slightly above average and the Raiders in general haven't beaten solid teams (Den really the lone exception and Carr wasn't great).  That combined with being awful when it mattered most and I have no idea how anyone thinks he was an MVP candidate. 

3 minutes ago, A Dog Named Brian said:

Exactly, if anything him being out showed what made him an MVP candidate. If we didn't have a great backup, we would've looked the same if Ryan went down 

I believe we'd look similar if Ryan went down. We'd be able to respond better but the drop off would be significant. 

paulitik and A Dog Named Brian like this

2 minutes ago, droopy1592 said:

He didn't drop 513 yards on the bucs either. For a moment they had a passing offense as good as saints and redskins. He wasn't as bad as you say. 

In an overtime game in which the Raiders were pass heavy and set all time penalty record. Look at the entire season as posted compared with his peers. 

**** no. This bird has some real haters when it comes to giving other players praise, especially when it comes to other QBs. Carr is going to be a top flight passer in the league for years to come. Ryan was being called the next Peyton on these MBs in his 3rd NFL season and he didn't do what Carr did in his 3rd. Just give credit where it's due. Carr had a MVP type season, especially considering how Oakland looked without him. 

A Dog Named Brian likes this

2 minutes ago, gto30272 said:

In an overtime game in which the Raiders were pass heavy and set all time penalty record. Look at the entire season as posted compared with his peers. 

You need proof, post some stats, not just lip 

I think he's a great QB. Not close to MVP.  He could be one soon. 

I think he was in the conversation because there is a media interest in the Raiders being great again, as they are one of those legacy teams that are etched in Baby Boomer TV execs brains as Football became a Television phenomena in the 70s and 80s. 

As it looked like Ryan was locking into it, the media rationalizations to find anyone else, went into hyperdrive. Brady and Rodgers had disqualifying stretches of games, so Carr's team having more wins, got him into the conversation .Then his injury came. People glossed over McGloin getting hurt and Cook, who never had a snap with the first team in practice, was terrible, as any 3rd string rookie would be thrown into that situation. So then because the Raiders sucked with a 3rd stringer as any team would is the rationale du'jour to keep it from a dreaded Falcon player. 

It's almost as dumb as the Peyton Manning being on IR rationale in 2011.

2 minutes ago, QuinnTorris said:

Carr had a MVP type season

Seriously?

63.8% completion, 7.03 per att, 262 yards per game, 96.7 qb rating, and not a single total qbr in the top 50. In what universe is that MVP caliber?

5 minutes ago, droopy1592 said:

You need proof, post some stats, not just lip 

He threw the ball 59 times and everything I posted is fact not "lip".  Anything else?