Vic Beasley down for pass-rush summit with Von Miller

FentayeJones

Game recognize game:

Vic Beasley down for pass-rush summit with Von Miller

Vaughn McClure

ESPN Staff Writer

Von Miller knows Vic Beasley Jr. still has business to take care of in the playoffs, but the Denver Broncos' pass-rusher and Super Bowl MVP already has offseason plans for the two.

"It will probably be about a month or so because those guys are in the playoffs -- I got my [offseason] early -- but Vic's my guy and we'll link up," Miller said. "I'll get with Vic and [the Kansas City Chiefs'] Justin Houston and all those guys and have a little pass-rush summit. Vic, being a guy with that type of game so similar to yours, you want to get with those guys and work out with those guys. I'm looking forward to it."

The Falcons' Vic Beasley Jr. already has an offseason workout partner lined up in fellow pass-rusher Von Miller of the Broncos. Photo by Josh Lefkowitz/Getty Images

Beasley, the Atlanta Falcons' second-year standout who was just named the NFC's Defensive Player of the Week, seemed a bit giddy when told Miler wanted to include him in offseason workouts.

"Yeah, I'm down for that," Beasley said. "That means a lot to me because guys who have had great success in this league are asking me, a young player, to come work with them. That's means so much to me."

Miller said he considers Beasley to be like "little brother" after his former position coach, current Falcons defensive coordinator Richard Smith, asked him to serve as a mentor. Miller probably didn't expect Beasley to surpass him on the sacks charts, but that's exactly what Beasley did this season with a league-high 15.5 sacks. Miller finished second with 13.5.

Beasley's spending offseason time with Miller should only benefit the Falcons going into next season. The 2015 first-round draft pick from Clemson already made tremendous strides between his first and second seasons, going from a hesitant rookie to a legitimate Defensive Player of the Year candidate.

Maybe Beasley and Miller will get to swap Super Bowl stories once those workouts finally take place. Miller couldn't say exactly where the "summit" will be held.

"With my schedule last year, I kind of was all over the place," Miller said. "As a pro, you can't let your location determine whether or not you're going to get a good workout in. I figured that out early in my career. I can figure out whatever I need to do in whatever city I'm in."

http://www.espn.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/24702/vic-beasley-down-for-pass-rush-summit-with-von-miller

Just now, direwolf said:

Do they need him? I'd prefer Freeney hang out with them - he's certainly had an impact on Beas!

I think it wouldn't hurt.

Now that Beasley has the 'first step' down I think this is where a vet or guy like Smith ctould really take him to the next level.  I think Beasley could use a little more work with his hands.

Also I think Freeney's greatest contribution to Beasley may have been in prep before the game.  Knowing what to look for when looking at opposing tackles on film and how to use that knowledge.

Seeing young players like Vic and Grady become a force to be reckon with in just their 2nd year is amazing, heck, Neal and D-bo are first yrs and they're killing it! I love that guys like Vic and Neal, despite being so good, and flashing so much potential, are still humble and hungry enough to get better. Learning from greats like Miller, and Chancellor are only going to make these guys a dominate force for years to come.

Loving this season!

1 hour ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I think it wouldn't hurt.

Now that Beasley has the 'first step' down I think this is where a vet or guy like Smith ctould really take him to the next level.  I think Beasley could use a little more work with his hands.

Also I think Freeney's greatest contribution to Beasley may have been in prep before the game.  Knowing what to look for when looking at opposing tackles on film and how to use that knowledge.

Good points.

May be ignorance talking, but is there a record of what Chuck Smith has actually done to train pass rushers? I know he's got a program for it and works with people, but does he really produce results? Not dogging on Chuck - genuinely curious.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, direwolf said:

Love this. Maybe Keanu Neal will get together with Kam Chancellor again. 

At a tangent, love how the players in the league do this kind of thing fairly frequently. Really is a brotherhood even across teams. Kinda cool.

DJones needs to do whatever he can to get in with Sean Lee Kuekly and Kwon this offseason.  

Sean and Luke brought Kwon in this last year so hopefully there's room for one more. 

Good points.

May be ignorance talking, but is there a record of what Chuck Smith has actually done to train pass rushers? I know he's got a program for it and works with people, but does he really produce results? Not dogging on Chuck - genuinely curious.

Thanks.

Chuck actually consulted Von a while ago. Pete Carroll brought Chuck to Seahawks training camp to work with his guys. There are a lot of notable pass rushers who've picked his brain. At this point, it can't hurt.

I like that Chuck uses himself and guys like Archambeau as examples of guys who aren't as physically gifted, but learned how to be good pass rushers. He focuses on techniques that will make the above average athlete a great hunter.

Good points.

Thanks.

Chuck worked with Tuck and Osi. Osi swore by him.

He is credited as having basically invented Albert Haynesworth.

Good points.

Thanks.

Aaron Donald

Von miller also did a shoutout after they trained 

I don't think you have to train with chuck to get you right but I do think the chuck is very good at training pass rushers ... 

Adrian Clayborn and Bruce Irvin is 2 of his guys too