My 1st Pick

Knight of God

I think he is a real possibility given where we pick.  He shows up on game day.  He puts up the numbers.  How he measures up size wise will be big.  He needs to have "playable" test numbers to get into the 1st round.  Athletically he may not win any contests, but again, he shows up big time against big competition.

I compare Walker to Kony Ealy just because he is listed as a 280 pound player that doesn't appears to have elite speed or quickness at DE.  He has been more productive than Ealy.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, isproab said:

I think he is a real possibility given where we pick.  He shows up on game day.  He puts up the numbers.  How he measures up size wise will be big.  He needs to have "playable" test numbers to get into the 1st round.  Athletically he may not win any contests, but again, he shows up big time against big competition.

I compare Walker to Kony Ealy just because he is listed as a 280 pound player that doesn't appears to have elite speed or quickness at DE.  He has been more productive than Ealy.

You mean Michael Bennett.

As for him not popping on the screen, 99 percent of pass rushing is failure(according to Freeny). He succeeded 15 times in getting to the QB, that doesn't pop?

My only argument against him is I think a LEO  is more valuable in the first. We already have Vic rushing from LE in the nickel, and Walker would make Derrick Shelby a wasted free agency addition.

11 minutes ago, FalconAge said:

You mean Michael Bennett.

As for him not popping on the screen, 99 percent of pass rushing is failure(according to Freeny). He succeeded 15 times in getting to the QB, that doesn't pop?

My only argument against him is I think a LEO  is more valuable in the first. We already have Vic rushing from LE in the nickel, and Walker would make Derrick Shelby a wasted free agency addition.

I don't know how he will test.  Michael Bennett was "poor" as a DE running 5.1 in the 40.  I don't know how explosive he is or isn't number wise, but I know it is not what you typically look for in a 1st round DE that is going to be asked to rush the passer.  

Yes, the numbers do "pop," but the athlete does not.  Meaning, when I watch his from the snap, he doesn't appear overly quick or explosive.  That not be being critical, it's a fact.  He isn't going to win any races to the QB.  I know that doesn't tell the entire story, I just know the NFL does grade you on those things.

I don't get too caught up in what you call guys now days.  Beasley is going to be the #1 pass rusher in our system.  Walker would be playing on the other side (strong side) if Beasley is on the weak side.  Shelby was a DE, but didn't he line up a lot a DT?  Maybe on certain downs he was inside?  Either way, I think we could use another "pure pass rusher" type like Beasley to add depth.  We also need that guy that is playing DE on the opposite side of Beasley who can play strong against the run and provide some pass rush.  Maybe that was Shelby, but he got hurt, he is not going to be 100% come start of 2017 and he was never a pass rusher.

5 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

As you recall I didn't like Collins either. And he is making me look crazy

You mean Landon? Its not your fault man. I watch Alabama and rewatch Bama. That's my crew my man. No no. If you see something I like to look at it as well. It forces me to take off the rose colored glasses, or put them on for a second.

KOG ...Ive been slowly getting on the Walker train... Especially with us possibly making a deep run (picking late first round) .. I cant lie... At DE he doesnt have the burst i would like at DE but as a rusher inside.... i like the burst and hand movement to go with some strength ...

I have a real question for anyone... How does Walker compare to Jonathan Bullard as a prospect ?

5 minutes ago, atljbo said:

KOG ...Ive been slowly getting on the Walker train... Especially with us possibly making a deep run (picking late first round) .. I cant lie... At DE he doesnt have the burst i would like at DE but as a rusher inside.... i like the burst and hand movement to go with some strength ...

I have a real question for anyone... How does Walker compare to Jonathan Bullard as a prospect ?

That's a question.

Just now, Knight of God said:

That's a question.

the reason why i ask that is because guys like that always slip some in the draft because of the tweener factor.. Most thought Bullard would be a late 1st rounder but he ended up as a 3rd rounder....

tweeners that fit  his skill set normally is taken in the 2nd round.... I was discussing this recently with a  friend of mines

lamar houston, preston smith types

17 minutes ago, atljbo said:

the reason why i ask that is because guys like that always slip some in the draft because of the tweener factor.. Most thought Bullard would be a late 1st rounder but he ended up as a 3rd rounder....

tweeners that fit  his skill set normally is taken in the 2nd round.... I was discussing this recently with a  friend of mines

lamar houston, preston smith types

Only thing. I dont remember seeing Smith higher than 3rd. I was pretty high on him.

10 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Only thing. I dont remember seeing Smith higher than 3rd. I was pretty high on him.

i liked him to... He blew up the draft .. showed more athleticism then most thought he would... so he went in the early 2nd round right ?

4 hours ago, Knight of God said:

You mean Landon? Its not your fault man. I watch Alabama and rewatch Bama. That's my crew my man. No no. If you see something I like to look at it as well. It forces me to take off the rose colored glasses, or put them on for a second.

Yeah I think my problem is I compare safeties coming out of college to Sean Taylor and Ed Reed when they were going to the pros. I show my bias there. I respect your opinion a lot so I will go back and look at DeMarcus and see what you see

I liked him based on his highlights, but after watching full games you see he isn't very explosive. He's great at anticipating the snap count and making a play, but not reacting with an explosive first step. He has very, very violent hands, but that's about it. He would be a decent pick but Solomon Thomas is significantly better. People are noticing that now and I doubt he will be there for us. On the DL I would rather have Garret, Allen, Thomas, Barnett, Lawson, Harris and Mckdowell in that order before Walker.

Edited by Colin_Pernett

4 hours ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

I'm not digging Thomas, too many arm tackles for me.

Really? He's a lineman not a linebacker or safety. He's crazy disruptive which in the end is what his job is. I don't have a problem with his tackling, but even if you did that's not the end of the world. Everyone called Debo a bad tackler too, but getting in position to make plays quickly is what matter more than tackle form.

16 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

He just doesn't jump off the screen to me. As a Cane I was never nervous about DeMarcus when we played FSU. I was sick thinking about Cook. I wouldn't take him in the first. Just my opinion and I have been wrong a lot about players

Were you nervous when he blocked the extra point to seal the game? ;)