Matt Ryan is the NFL's MVP

Scott Carasik

Very strong arguments, all backed up nicely and an overall excellent article Scott. 

You actually touched on what was going to be a thread topic of mine during the offseason about how Ryan makes everyone around him better. I keep hearing about what an awesome cache of weapons he has, but Ryan is the common denominator.

i really liked how you took each weapon and outlined what we invested in them, that jumped off the page at me as it was really very little comparatively. 

Excellent!  I only wish NFL records would have been highlighted more for the historic season argument. Specifically, the ypa is discussed as most since 2000 but not mentioned it's the most ever when a qb has over 400 attempts which is more realistic for modern football. Other NFL records of 13 different receivers with a TD, 10 different receivers with 2+ TDs, and consecutive 200 yard games demonstrate the truly historic season.  "Best ever" or NFL record will always provide more notoriety than 5th, 10th, 18th best etc. Not to say that everything shouldn't be include but it makes the full body of work argument stronger. Don't mean this to seem negative as I loved the article and it was truly well written!

Ryan’s 117.1 passer rating was the fifth-best of all time. Ryan set a record by recording more than 7.9 yards per attempt for the season. The previous record was Kurt Warner’s 6.87 yards per attempt. Beating that record by over a full yard per game is almost as impressive as his 9.3 yards per attempt over the season, which would be good enough to tie for 13th all time and would be the best since Warner’s 2000 season.

I'm a little lost on this.   

edit:   In looking further - is this supposed to be that he set a record for most games in a season with 7.9 yards per attempt?

39 minutes ago, Tandy said:

Ryan’s 117.1 passer rating was the fifth-best of all time. Ryan set a record by recording more than 7.9 yards per attempt for the season. The previous record was Kurt Warner’s 6.87 yards per attempt. Beating that record by over a full yard per game is almost as impressive as his 9.3 yards per attempt over the season, which would be good enough to tie for 13th all time and would be the best since Warner’s 2000 season.

I'm a little lost on this.   

edit:   In looking further - is this supposed to be that he set a record for most games in a season with 7.9 yards per attempt?

It was saying every game of his was 7.9 or over. That is the record. The 9.3 average of all games is also a record.

15 minutes ago, Nono said:

ok, but show another post season win or two first. He has definitely stepped up this season but now its crunch time and lets see if he can bring his MVP to the playoffs

MVP is not about post season and never has been.  That's why they vote on it in week 17.    

If he wins in the post season and wins the Lombardi - what will be your next demand?  Just curious?

Just now, FalconAge said:

It was saying every game of his was 7.9 or over. That is the record. The 9.3 average of all games is also a record.

So, basically, the record is that his lowest YPA in a single season game was 7.9

Got it - and sort of figured that out in reading further, but I just read that same paragraph about 10 times before moving on - and it had me confused.