PMF, Could You Do A Breakdown of Our Opponents?

BIRDLAND 2.0

I'm not PMF and I haven't seen last 4-6 weeks of our opponents games... but here is what I have seen with the Falcons:

1.  Our run game suffers when opponents get penetration into our backfield. Typically they seem to run 'slant' stunts.  We have a great run game, but we're not really a pound the rock run game.  We use the run to setup the pass and the play action to setup the run.  I've seen our TE specifically, get stuffed back into the backfield on more than a few snaps and cause problems for our run game.  

2.  pressure.  Matt is typically good against the blitz, but it seems sometimes he doesn't have a hot route or something goes wrong and he has to take the sack.  If they can effectively blitz, we will be in trouble

3.  our expected opponents will be Seattle, GB or Giants.  most likely Seattle or GB, both of whom have mobile QB's If we play Giants, EM can buy time and with time they all will kill our secondary.  We HAVE to get pressure consistently.  We have to get our rotation in and out quickly as giving up 1st downs due to 12 men on the field has been a problem for us throughout the season. My hope is that Hageman will show up, get underpad on the o-line and drive them back into the QB, while Vic and Dwight get that edge pressure.  however if we are playing a mobile QB, they have been using Vic as a spy instead of rushing him.  

4.  Special Teams - we are not very good on special teams (punt/kickoff).  We get too many block in the back penalties which puts our offense at the goal line to start out.  We've had a fake punt on us for a TD and allowed an onside kick to be recovered.  These are all coaching/execution issues that need to be addressed or they will make the difference against a good team (like they did with KC)

Seattle:  

We can put up points against Seattle's Defense (or any d), but we have to keep putting up points as our D can have it's moments where we give up 10-14 points at the end of a game when 3 or 7 points (ideally 0, but this is the NFL) would have been much better.  on our Defense against their offense... I see them as a feast or famine team. We can likely hold them in check for 2-3 series, then give up 14 points in a few minutes.  Their offense is far from potent, but they can still get hot and ball out.  

Green Bay:

They are ripe for the picking.  We've destroyed their D several times over the past few years.  They can't hold our offense, they just don't have the talent nor depth to defend us.  Their only hope is to blitz endlessly and live and die by the sword.  I think they will die, but probably also make some plays doing that.  

Giants:

I haven't seen them play that much this year so I can't really say much on the Giants.  Eli can ball out when he's hot and he can also throw 3 INT's.  I've 'heard' their defense may be the best in the NFC playoffs.  I don't know, so won't suggest their D will stop our offense.  

Richard, welcome to board and some good points. If Dimarco and Toilolo can get good blocks that usually means the run game is working. ICE has done a great job in check downs. I almost think Kyle is passing too much lately and needs more balance, but the defensive scheme of man coverage and/or cornerback weakness I'm sure influence Kyle, thus ICE. I see Beastie Boy spying Wilson or Rodgers 1/3 of the time should either one be our opponent. Freeney is gonna need to mix geritol with Diet Mountain Dew/5 Hour Energy shots to play even more playoff snaps. Special Teams KO and gadget plays (KC and NO etc) are hindering team somewhat, so I agree that  needs addressing during next 2 weeks. Special Teams is the biggest lingering problem.

Edited by BIRDLAND 2.0

No promises, but I'll tell you what I'll do, I'm gonna DVR both NFC games this weekend and of course I'll be watching, and if I see anything interesting beyond the obvious schematically that jumps out I'll thread it up.

I was already looking back some a little while ago at the San Fran, seattle game.

Edited by PeytonMannings Forehead

Just now, Jpowers said:

He's going to start charging us for his threads if y'all keep on.:rain:

JP, I'm the youngest in the family and my bday is next Saturday and my sister and brother have hard heads like me. I don't know when to stop. I'm sending the TATF bill to Blank if Peyton starts charging. PS: You're a Star Wars junkie. PM me. I wanna a Darth Maul life size Fat Head!:tiphat:

1 minute ago, BIRDLAND 2.0 said:

JP, I'm the youngest in the family and my bday is next Saturday and my sister and brother have hard heads like me. I don't know when to stop. I'm sending the TATF bill to Blank if Peyton starts charging. PS: You're a Star Wars junkie. PM me. I wanna a Darth Maul life size Fat Head!:tiphat:

Ha! I'm really not a Star Wars junkie. That'd be my son.

2 hours ago, Falcon Ben said:

He should. 

Hmm, get 'em strung out on irresistible free content then out of the blue the start charging... 

... thinking-face.png

3 hours ago, BIRDLAND 2.0 said:

Ahhh, Dude. Respect and admiration. I'll be straight up. PM me your email with address and I'll send you Starbucks card. Serious!

Nah, you're good.  It's been fun doing this this season.  I've said it before, but it's nice knowing there's an audience for this kind of talk.  I wasn't always sure folks were interested in the finer points of the game.

1 hour ago, King Jigsaw said:

Member when people could post what they wanted and not what was requested of them? :lol:

At one point I actually contemplated asking for requests from week-to-week on anything anyone wanted broken down.  I kept mouth shut on that one, though.  Figured I might've been biting off more than I could chew.

4 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Hmm, get 'em strung out on irresistible free content then out of the blue the start charging... 

... thinking-face.png

Nah, you're good.  It's been fun doing this this season.  I've said it before, but it's nice knowing there's an audience for this kind of talk.  I wasn't always sure folks were interested in the finer points of the game.

At one point I actually contemplated asking for requests from week-to-week on anything anyone wanted broken down.  I kept mouth shut on that one, though.  Figured I might've been biting off more than I could chew.

Why not just coach?

3 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

... thinking-face.png

I majored in English and history. I love military history. Sports dissected is military strategy on a field. I've read SEC coaches study military history, Civil War.

3 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Why not just coach?

I've asked myself that I few times.  I really contemplated getting into it at one point.  Life took me in another direction, though.  I can see myself at some getting into youth coaching... maybe not ever head coaching, but there are a couple of positions I can teach really well.

3 minutes ago, BIRDLAND 2.0 said:

I majored in English and history. I love military history. Sports dissected is military strategy on a field. I've read SEC coaches study military history, Civil War.

That's really cool, man.  I've always had a love of world history myself.

I learned a lot of this stuff at a young age, and it's funny how it's stuck with me, because I didn't always have the love of the minutia and the ins and outs of the game like I do now.

7 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

That's really cool, man.  I've always had a love of world history myself.

I learned a lot of this stuff at a young age, and it's funny how it's stuck with me, because I didn't always have the love of the minutia and the ins and outs of the game like I do now.

Ok, so your age? How many years did you play? Per Chicken Biscuit, Why aren't you coaching? I am just curious.:munch: