Speaking of Abortion

AF89

Paul Ryan: GOP will defund Planned Parenthood
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/05/politics/paul-ryan-planned-parenthood-obamacare/index.html

Ryan confirmed today that that they intend to move forward on their plan to defund Planned Parenthood

I can't say I'm super thrilled cause I think PP also does a lot of good, but the argument that people shouldn't have their tax dollars used to fund something they see as inherently wrong is not something I can also really disagree with  

(although the same can be said for a lot of things our government funds that a lot of us consider as amoral)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Federal funding doesn't go directly to provide abortions, for PP or anyone else.  Having said that, the indirect subsidy is something I find distasteful.  I hope they do de-fund them.  My concern is I don't believe they will work to fully fund things like community health centers, where doing so would actually make the argument more feasible.  "We're going to de-fund PP and shift funding to community health centers so primary care is not affected" is a better political pitch than "we're going to de-fund PP, who give a bunch of money to Democrats."

And, not for nothing, it's the right thing to do.

7 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Federal funding doesn't go directly to provide abortions, for PP or anyone else.  Having said that, the indirect subsidy is something I find distasteful.  I hope they do de-fund them.  My concern is I don't believe they will work to fully fund things like community health centers, where doing so would actually make the argument more feasible.  "We're going to de-fund PP and shift funding to community health centers so primary care is not affected" is a better political pitch than "we're going to de-fund PP, who give a bunch of money to Democrats."

That was my next question cause I've never actually seen the numbers on what percentages of tax payer dollars go to what services. (I'm only vaguely aware of what the Hyde amendment does, but I know it's supposed to prevent a lot of direct funding except in certain cases )

It would be a shame if things if their other services such like screenings and preventive healthcare were to fall by the wayside with no viable alternative to replace them

41 minutes ago, atl falcon 89 said:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/05/politics/paul-ryan-planned-parenthood-obamacare/index.html

Ryan confirmed today that that they intend to move forward on their plan to defund Planned Parenthood

I can't say I'm super thrilled cause I think PP also does a lot of good, but the argument that people shouldn't have their tax dollars used to fund something they see as inherently wrong is not something I can also really disagree with  

(although the same can be said for a lot of things are government funds that a lot of us consider as amoral)

What good do they do? They do a lot of referrals to others who do good. PP is an abortion mill. The "they do mammograms" bs is just that. Those ******* kill babies by the truck load and collect federal funding for it, they don't save anyone.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2015/10/02/the-repeated-misleading-claim-that-planned-parenthood-provides-mammograms/?utm_term=.df2fbdfb2a42

32 minutes ago, atl falcon 89 said:

That was my next question cause I've never actually seen the numbers on what percentages of tax payer dollars go to what services. (I'm only vaguely aware of what the Hyde amendment does, but I know it's supposed to prevent a lot of direct funding except in certain cases )

It would be a shame if things if their other services such like screenings and preventive healthcare were to fall by the wayside with no viable alternative to replace them

This is one of the many ways in which PP and their enablers try to deceive. "Tax payer money does not go toward funding abortions" it's just another crock of ****.

If you pay my house payment, car note, electric bill, provide me with groceries, etc. whatever money I make, have donated, etc. can go towards hookers and blow because my other expenses are taken care of and you get to say, "I don't fund his hookers and blow. I help with the valuable, life saving expenses." It's BS.

6 minutes ago, silentbob1272 said:

What good do they do? They do a lot of referrals to others who do good. PP is an abortion mill. The "they do mammograms" bs is just that. Those ******* kill babies by the truck load and collect federal funding for it, they don't save anyone.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2015/10/02/the-repeated-misleading-claim-that-planned-parenthood-provides-mammograms/?utm_term=.df2fbdfb2a42

It says here in your article they provided nearly half a million screenings in the year examined and we're set up elsewhere for the xrays. This isnt really a bad thing.

3 minutes ago, silentbob1272 said:

This is one of the many ways in which PP and their enablers try to deceive. "Tax payer money does not go toward funding abortions" it's just another crock of ****.

If you pay my house payment, car note, electric bill, provide me with groceries, etc. whatever money I make, have donated, etc. can go towards hookers and blow because my other expenses are taken care of and you get to say, "I don't fund his hookers and blow. I help with the valuable, life saving expenses." It's BS.

Which is the part of why I understand the sentiment of why people don't want to see it funded. It's still indirectly  financing them to proform everything else. It'd be nice to think they could simply continue to only operate on private funds but I know better (I'd also worry what kind of research they might try to involve themselves in to stay afloat)

5 hours ago, atl falcon 89 said:

It says here in your article they provided nearly half a million screenings in the year examined and we're set up elsewhere for the xrays. This isnt really a bad thing.

I typed an entire long response to this and the page didn't load so I lost it, and it was would have totally changed your mind. It was that brilliant, but I ain't typing all that again, so here's a video on one of the thousand deceptions these vipers engage in.

5 hours ago, JDaveG said:

That whole set up bothers me with PP. It is like a kickback. Remember that word kickback from the 70s and 80s? That was like a dirty word talking about government kick backs from spending money. It was the height of corruption. Good Times!

Agreed it is the right thing to do especially since they contribute to one party. It was also good to see Trump call congress out for gonna kill oversight while they thought no one was watching.

10 minutes ago, silentbob1272 said:

I typed an entire long response to this and the page didn't load so I lost it, and it was would have totally changed your mind. It was that brilliant, but I ain't typing all that again, so here's a video on one of the thousand deceptions these vipers engage in.

Just knowing you typed it changed the minds of 2 people I work with!

6 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Federal funding doesn't go directly to provide abortions, for PP or anyone else.

Given this fact, and the innumerable reproductive health services they provide, I find it unconscionable that anyone would opt to defund one of the broadest, most effective health care providers in the country. Does the Republican Congress and executive have any intention of replacing the services PP provides? Replacing the ACA? It appears that the answer is a resounding 'no', which leads me to believe that they have little to no concern access to health care.

6 hours ago, capologist said:

My question is if Obamacare is so great and everyone is covered, why do people need PP to provide preventative care?  Wouldn't the patients go to their regular doctor instead?  Or is it that Obamacare isn't really all that great and leaves people without care?  I'm confused...

Who said the ACA is 'so great'?

Just now, capologist said:

Everyone who's going berserk about the repeal and replace (should have put it in purple, I acknowledge the sarcasm...lol)

Going 'berserk' (expressing concern isn't going 'berserk') about the government repealing the ACA with no stated plan isn't cheerleading the ACA or saying it's 'great'. I'm not a fan of the ACA, and I think it unwise to repeal it without an alternative.

Health care was a mess before the ACA, it's a mess with the ACA, and it will likely be a mess after the ACA. There aren't good options. I think people are reacting because they've just spent years getting accustomed to a new way of doing things, and now the suggestion is that it will change yet again, and I think it's fair to be concerned about that. 

6 minutes ago, eatcorn said:

Given this fact, and the innumerable reproductive health services they provide, I find it unconscionable that anyone would opt to defund one of the broadest, most effective health care providers in the country. Does the Republican Congress and executive have any intention of replacing the services PP provides? Replacing the ACA? It appears that the answer is a resounding 'no', which leads me to believe that they have little to no concern access to health care.

C'mon say it.

If you're going to be a tool, err their tool, at least keep up with their new and totally clever talking points motto.

The republicans are going to make America sick again

Just brilliant marketing :lol:

13 minutes ago, eatcorn said:

Given this fact, and the innumerable reproductive health services they provide, I find it unconscionable that anyone would opt to defund one of the broadest, most effective health care providers in the country.

No, I don't buy that.  Planned Parenthood is about abortion.  You can't put lipstick on a pig.

It would be one thing if abortion was incidental to what they do, but we all know that isn't the case (please, nobody cite the 5% figure that everyone knows is complete horse****).

3 minutes ago, silentbob1272 said:

C'mon say it.

If you're going to be a tool, err their tool, at least keep up with their new and totally clever talking points motto.

The republicans are going to make America sick again

Just brilliant marketing :lol:

You know, you might consider typing a post that isn't outright insulting to someone with whom you disagree. I want a better plan for health care than pure private insurance or the ACA. I have yet to hear a suggestion hit the legislature. I'm also not watching glib videos on people I don't support.

4 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

No, I don't buy that.  Planned Parenthood is about abortion.  You can't put lipstick on a pig.

It would be one thing if abortion was incidental to what they do, but we all know that isn't the case (please, nobody cite the 5% figure that everyone knows is complete horse****).

3%, try to show their lie some respect.

7 hours ago, atl falcon 89 said:

(although the same can be said for a lot of things are government funds that a lot of us consider as amoral)

Did you really just try to slide an abortion thread in ABF like it was no big deal? 

Oh.....by the way.....speaking of abortion...

This thread will be on the front page for a while.

2 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

What do you mean by 'about abortion'? I agree that it's not incidental to what they do, but they also do a lot of good for a lot of people, and I'd think prevent more abortions through reproductive education and contraception than they perform. I know it's a completely personal anecdote, but almost every woman I've known has been to Planned Parenthood for birth control, a pap smear, or some other non-abortion related matter. They treat a LOT of people for very cheap.

10 minutes ago, eatcorn said:

Going 'berserk' (expressing concern isn't going 'berserk') about the government repealing the ACA with no stated plan isn't cheerleading the ACA or saying it's 'great'. I'm not a fan of the ACA, and I think it unwise to repeal it without an alternative.

Health care was a mess before the ACA, it's a mess with the ACA, and it will likely be a mess after the ACA. There aren't good options. I think people are reacting because they've just spent years getting accustomed to a new way of doing things, and now the suggestion is that it will change yet again, and I think it's fair to be concerned about that. 

Except that's not what I've been reading and that the plan is to repeal and replace at the same time.  They may set a time table for it but every comment I've read is that no one is going to suddenly lose their coverage tomorrow and that's how the #MASA crowd is acting.

Just now, Jpowers said:

Did you really just try to slide an abortion thread in ABF like it was no big deal? 

Oh.....by the way.....speaking of abortion...

This thread will be on the front page for a while.

As big as the ocean.

Cheers, y'ins. Be nice, bob.